Former CCP Devs Craft New PC Game

I don’t like having to put on kid gloves and double and triple explain basic things.

1 Like

Is it an Epic Game Store exclusive? :smiling_imp:

But joke aside you mention Steam but also don’t forget about GoG and Humble Bundle, plenty of good deals on thsoe as well all the time. :wink:

1 Like

I like that in a man. Strong and to the point.

One doesn’t need to be an ISD to know the rules. Just like one doesn’t need to be a lawyer to know the law. It’s expected :smiley:

Yes yes… keep trolling if it makes you feel better.

Now you are a “troll” too. :blush:

No good deed goes unpunished :smiley:

1 Like

That’s extra true in EVE.

One time a friend of mine helped a guy kill a boss NPC in a COSMOS mission as the guy was unable to break the armor reps of the thing. Then he let the guy take the mission item and loot drop.

The response of the guy was to in a vulgar fashion call him names for helping, claiming he wanted to come back flying a different ship and wanted to do it by himself.

I laughed so hard.

:smiling_imp: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :innocent:

1 Like

This gentle survey of a new venture by former CCP devs (and others) seems to have devolved into something of catty-scratch-fest. If it survives even a cursory glance by the ISD on duty, I’ll update it when I’ve spent more time in the game.

Otherwise, it has served its purpose in bringing to the attention of my fellow EVErs and Evettes a mildly interesting piece of news.

It’s somewhat fitting as Pax Dei has also devolved yet not into a troll-scratch-fest but into a bug fest.

So you bought the game as is without guarantees it wouldn’t be bug haven?

Do you know how many times I have read in game reviews “it is promising” only to see those games die in silent oblivion?

“Promising” isn’t a good enough proposition when it comes to my money.
I don’t go to a restaurant that advertises a “promising” chef, I go to a restaurant because of a reputation for good food.

But I hope that the trolls haven’t ruined your thread. I am curious to read your subsequent posts on that promising game.

Yakity-yak, don’t talk back! Aaagh!

I think most games consumers know early access means buggy and unfinished so it’s no surprise. Many games enthusiasts will still have a strong interest and will enjoy playing around with the buggy unfinished version.

I see early access as part of today’s game design process where opportunities for user feedback can be of value. Now that I’ve played Pillars of Eternity I can definitely see what all they hype is about with Pax Dei, I will most certainly be keeping an eye on this game.

I must have missed the Early Access gimmick. I thought it was a finished game.
Wake me up in two years so I can check back on this game.

I’ll be back, Bennett!

1 Like

@Sasha_Nemtsov I apologize for missing your reply. It was buried under the trolls’ manure pile.

There is plenty to do as an Alpha pilot and especially for someone like me who doesn’t spend a hundred hours a week on online games.

I cannot relate as I do not use professional software. I can barely start my computer and check my emails.

So you have resigned yourself to an existence of financial exploitation. That’s is sad and that’s no joke.

There is no unstoppable force but God’s.

Temporarily, yes, and in full knowledge that my investment is, like all investments, a speculative one. I’m under no illusions about how it all might end.

Initially, I had to buy/rent-to-buy audio hardware and other goodies. If you, a creative person, are in a position to pursue your muse without recourse to hefty recurring charges or large one-off payments, then I do wish you well. Know that not everyone is in the same position - what am I saying? I’m sure you do!

Professional software can create nothing of interest to me. I use the software so that I have greater control over those elements which, previously, might have had to be farmed out to other professionals - at great expense. Think: a photographer/cinematographer developing his own material rather than sending it off and having to wait anxiously for its return.

I did write:

My added italics there. As you quite rightly point out Drixie, nothing earthly is either permanent or invulnerable.

Thanks for reminding me to think over these things.

1 Like

I understand you now. I think you’re saying that you are an artist in Music and in order to apply your craft you have to use third-party software that used to be sold in a one-off fashion but now is guarded behind a paywall.

I read somewhere some time ago that everything online will eventually be guarded behind a paywall. It is already the case with games and software but will expand to websites and social media, enhanced by our favorite thing: commercials, such as is the case for YouTube that used to be commercial-free.
When that day comes, I will stop paying for internet service and save me some money.

I did miss the seem, sorry for that. I was more concentrated on the other part of your statement.

You are most welcome.
I think you know that there is more than this physical world permeating our everyday lives. Paying attention to the “unseen” brings joyous rewards for those who can see.

Congrats on the forum cake!

o7

…is the key. If I couldn’t ‘listen’, how would I learn?; if I couldn’t be silent, how could I listen?

About the cake. I first played EVE in 2013 (not on this character). The Forum has awarded me various embarrassing graphical honorifics since then, but I ignored or dropped them. It seems that this one is simply commemorative. Let’s hope it vanishes tomorrow!

1 Like

Not at all. It even has a little strawberry on top. It’s cute!

I remember when the Adobe suite of software for graphic designers was over £500, it was difficult when a designer first started as they were immediately hit with high prices for the tools they needed . Adobe changed to a subscription service for that made much more sense which I’m sure helped many people. In some cases subscriptions are good.

I have a subscription at Basic Fit :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think it was also the case Aaron that creative people who were actually employed by companies were obliged to use the software that went with the job. Very often it was not what they used at home (AutoCAD comes to mind). As employees grew more proficient in using fully featured professional software at work, they saw its benefits and wanted to use it at home (which also aided their employers, of course), but the cost was prohibitive, as you say.

So, the availability of subscription models became attractive and, for some, affordable. But a regular monthly payment of £/$25.00 is still a stretch if your budget is limited.

Educational establishments and students generally get discounts, but it’s also when you’re just starting out as an artist that you need that bit of help. I remember the composer Benjamin Britten advocating that artists should be supported financially if society truly considered creative work to be valuable.

I think the availability of subscription models may have dented (but not burst) the software piracy bubble. I never bought cracked software or used cracks myself, but it was certainly rampant when I was a young man.

I think that, for an artist, having suitable software of the appropriate standard is probably more important than shelling out for video games. I’m genuinely grateful that, now, I can have both, and I never forget, diss or dismiss those who struggle.

2 Likes