Forum flagging and rules needs to be reviewed

Ok, I need to make a new thread for this, because what you are telling me really makes no sense.

Discussing forum moderation, so expect to be locked. This is primarily just a message to the ISD and a request for further review and clarification of their rules/guidelines.

The two posts in question are

So my problem with your replies is “follow the rules”, which I am. If we take a look at the rules or guidelines, nowhere is it stated that a single flag is sufficient per thread nor the concept of baiting flags.

Instead, you guys specifically write to flag stuff instead of engaging with it.

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

In the past, I have experienced ISD’s missing posts like deleting a post and then not deleting the replies to it, making the replies non-sensical without context, which is why I thought it is better to flag each posts cause it explicitly tells the moderator “I have a problem with this specific post”. This is also what I understand from the above quote. Have a problem with a post? Flag it.

So when you then write “please flag only 1 per thread, follow the rules thanks, not following the rules is subject for moderation”, I hope you can see the rules does not seem to reflect this sentiment. With the above guideline that encourages flagging, I don’t expect to be banned if I’m overzealous in my flagging. If some of my flags are not valid, I just expect the post not to be moderated and I go on with my life.

As was stated in the Moderation of the Forums thread, please clarify your rules so they are clear and inline with your moderation policies, especially when the confusion surrounds actions that can result in some disciplinary intervention.

Secondly, flag baiting. On the surface it seems fine to mention this as subject to moderation, until you realize how would one even flag bait? Shouldn’t a post either be against the rules or not? Doesn’t matter who flagged it. I believe, I know where this moderation on flagging stems from (as well as the introduction of flag limits). Seems like whenever a post is flagged ISD’s get a notification and they need to “tick” it to mark it resolved or moderated. So if someone keeps flagging non-violating posts it gets annoying and produces additional work for ISD’s. However, I have said this before in the old moderation thread. It should not be the responsibility of the consumers to discipline their flag usage, especially when it is encouraged as seen above. It should be the responsibility of the forum software to have the tools for their moderators to efficiently moderate the forum. I don’t know how Discourse works behind the front, but I expect there to exist plugins or otherwise tools to help with this. My guess is that you guys (ISD) have zero control over the forum software, so please keep bugging CCP about it until they get off their lazy asses and fix it. Not only does it make it better for us the consumers, it should also improve your workflow.

Finally. Just a minor annoyance, please get rid of this automated reply when using the custom flag. It adds no value. You write you agree, whether you agree or not, i.e. the same message when no action is taken. If you wish to keep it, at least give us more flagging options to properly convey our flagging intent to the moderator (the premade flags does not get this annoying reply every single freaking time).

Thanks for letting us know. We agree there is an issue and we’re looking into it.

4 Likes

First!

InB4lock :closed_lock_with_key:

2 Likes

In my thread pointing out what a POS this new forum is, Buldath said, “From a ISD Standpoint, the new Forums are amazing. Everything was done by hand on the old forums. Current forums are much easier to manage.”

So I don’t think the software being difficult is the problem. I think that nobody really bothering to actually learn how to use it before it went live is where the problems started. This was well evidenced back when they obviously didn’t have a clue when trying to change some basic things like titles and privileges and ended up handing control over to the users among other mystifying errors.

Having said that. IBTL

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

When I flag posts, I almost never get the “we agree” response, so I don’t think it is automated.

I always get it, when I use the “something else” flag, i.e. the custom one.

You shouldn’t get it, if you use the normal ones.

1 Like

Most EVE discussion takes place on reddit because there’s less moderation (ironically).

1 Like

I doubt this will get locked so early. If it maintains the civility as the moderation thread, then it can remain open.

now, back on topic. I do agree that some of the rules could use some clarification. @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode Could you have a chat with whichever CCP member and possibly get the rules looked at, and to give better clarity or overall a different outlook, since they are stilll the rules from previous forums. I recall a similar conversation was supposed to have happened from the moderation thread.

2 Likes

Wha… what did I say? Why did you tag me? Was it an error?

Every ISD has a measure ot tolerance which is natural because of different personalities. @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode Has the shortest measure of tolerance.

1 Like

He don’t F- around. Need to watch our P’s and Q’s with him but he’s fair too so it evens everything out.

How to take things too serious on a game forum and use any and all excuse to create another attention/drama thread.

Whilst I’d agree that there is some degree of individuality and variation within the moderation of posts I don’t necessarily agree that @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode is less tolerant of malfeasance that anyone else. Personally I’ve always thought that he/they’re pretty fair. Sometimes harsh, but pretty fair.

In truth I think as people ourselves we probably need a degree of tolerance ourselves when we consider how moderation ‘works’ within the forums.

People volunteer to be moderators and I think most of them (maybe all of them) are probably trying to do the best job they can (and unless there is absolute evidence to the contrary I think we have to assume that they are, either way).

Any variations in approach or application are almost certainly down to the fact that we’re dealing with human beings and on this basis any demand for consistency needs to be accompanied, IMHO, by a degree of tolerance and kindness towards the people involved.

:mouse:

1 Like

It’s a trap

must…not…post

just…put…the…keyboard…away…and…don’t…get…the…ban

Whew! That was close. I’m shaking.

3 Likes

If that’s even relevant it means the rules are badly written and too subjective.

1 Like

This thread, 100%. You can’t get bad at the community for flagging multiple bad posts in a thread, they/we are using the system as intended. Chiding people for flagging each posts so GMs/ISDs actually have a tabbed mark on each offending post is a good thing.

ISD accusing players of acting in bad faith for flagging multiple bad posts, just like the ISD did in the linked thread, is beyond foolish.

hot take: if ISDs are tired of having dozens of posts by the same poster flagged in every thread – maybe do something about that poster?

2 Likes

Let’s just assume they don’t want to go into details (if only to avoid Elawyering) and read between the lines: Apparently there are folks who spam flag posts beyond reasonable use and it’s probably always the same people.

Just like how people create new troll threads for attention (like this exact thread) they probably also spam flag for attention so the ISD are effectively doing a “stop being annoying”. I obviously don’t know how much it happens but just looking at the volume and “quality” of aspie posting going on here I think we can safely assume it’s ISD hell.

1 Like

Have a sense of humor people.

The ISD are here to ride herd on a bunch of whatever we call each other.

Blaming them for your own shortcomings while posting just means their doing their job. Get over yourself. The amount of snowflakes on the forums is so overwhelming at some points that I think they are very fair with their assessments. They crush some of my posts all the time. No big deal.

All I asked of them was to not lock a thd like this one till I had a chance to respond by 6:30 EST. I even got a chuckle outta a ISD I hardy know for that! That this thd is still open shows the good graces they offer to people who don’t deserve it. Say your peace and move on. Perpetual whining just makes you a target for those better informed. The Dev’s do read the forums, believe it of not. Just not the ■■■■ posts like it should be.

The only ISD I know are ISD Batman, ISD Hitman and ISD Golem. (Sorry dude, I just don’t know you well enough to have a nickname for you yet. :smiley: )

The posts like this get more leniency than we deserve.

5 Likes

who is hitman? We had a ISD Robin, but he doesn’t show up anymore… golem’s nickname for me anyway, is Golemon from digimon.

Claiming they read the forum except when they don’t read the forum is a little ambiguous.

1 Like

A bit like trying to interpret the rules of Eve; both in-game and in-forum. In my limited experience this is.