Forums karma

Give us a up/downvote feature
A̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶5̶0̶ ̶u̶p̶v̶o̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶D̶o̶w̶n̶v̶o̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶l̶ ̶u̶p̶v̶o̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶ ̶:̶ ̶1̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶
R̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶d̶u̶m̶b̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶S̶D̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶
Edit:
After reading all of your comments, I’ve decided to change karma so that it’s just a number.
Each upvote gives + 1 to karma, while each downvote gives -1 to karma.
Karma does absolutely nothing on forums, but it’s public and anyone can see your karma.

This way, no voices are silenced but people with consistently unpopular ideas will have a low karma which anyone can see.

But downvotes would hurt people’s feelings ~

8 Likes

Too easy for people to meta-game it with alt characters.

18 Likes

I’m okay on the idea in principle, but given the adversarial nature of some forum factions here, it would be rapidly abused I think.

Maybe if people were limited to making 6-10 new posts per day, and no more than 2 new topics, and had a pool of only say 10 up/down votes per day to work with, it could be a meaningful mechanic. Although then, as DMC said, you’d just get people gaming it with alts.

Then would come the vote-farmers, and the bots, and the AFK voters, and then where would we be? RMT for upvotes, that’s where!

2 Likes

The slippery slope makes its appearance yet again.

Oh no, how dare people spend their own money on meaningless forum upvotes and downvotes! It’s just not fair!! /s

Currently the forum population count is very small compared to how it use to be, so probably just end up killing the forums.

4 Likes

/thread

Upvote/downvote mechanics are bad enough even when they aren’t being exploited with alts, it would be insane in a game like EVE where alts are standard practice.

3 Likes

Stack has upvote/downvote mechanics, and it works pretty nicely to limit dumb questions and responses. It’s true that its easier to game this mechanic on forums, but maybe something like a 2-day new character up/downvote cooldown period would solve this?

If there was karma I’d downvote this for not putting it in the features and ideas subforum.

5 Likes

If the forums were actually important then CCP would do something…

Because nothing is better then a whole forum full of people who try to kill your voice when it doesnt say what they want. If you like that idea move to North Korea.

6 Likes

No, because people would just make a dozen more alts (on top of the alts they already have), wait two days, and then start mass voting. The only way to even attempt to fix this issue is to require some kind of real-world identification that limits a person to one voting account. And even then you just fix the most obvious flaw, you’re still left with the fundamental problems of an up/downvote system: that it creates an echo chamber and de facto bans ongoing discussion.

1 Like

Stack, Reddit and plenty of others all use this system, and don’t have any way to prevent alts from being made and upvoting their own posts, yet its not a huge problem.

Maybe stop posting shitty ideas then?

1 Like

Disagree. Reddit is a massive dumpster fire where what little constructive discussion that exists happens in spite of the broken voting system, not because of it. It’s the texbook example of everything wrong with voting: a blatant echo chamber where disagreement with popular opinions gets your comments downvoted into invisibility and you either post within the first 15 minutes of a topic going up or might as well not even bother because nobody is going to see your post.

3 Likes

The #1 thing you need for a good forum are good mods who actively follow clear rules/guidelines proactively.

No system needed if you have that…

3 Likes

It has nothing to do with poor content and everything ti do with not needing censorship by the largest group. That is what you are proposing, Goon run forums.

Yeah, isn’t that how voting works? If more people dislike your ideas or opinions, then you get downvoted more than upvoted?
If you have an idea and people think its bad, then it gets downvoted simple as that no?
Stop having bad ideas would be an easy way to turn that around

1 Like

You keep l missing the point that a single block, ie Goons, could mobilize their members to vote down/up something…

It’s not just “people” in EVE…massive power blocks that have been here for a long time are at play.

Yes, that is how voting works, and that is why the result is an echo chamber. People use the downvote button as a “disagree” button to hide any opinions they disagree with and so all you see is the popular opinion getting repeated over and over and over again. Think that ship X is overpowered and balance changes need to be made? Too bad, the popular opinion is that it’s fine and therefore your argument gets silenced instead of debated and allowed to stand on its own merits.

And you’re absolutely delusional if you think that a voting system only silences bad ideas. It’s nothing more than a popularity contest that kills off lots of good ideas and constructive discussion along with the non-constructive posts it is supposed to deal with.