Foundation – New Quadrant starts soon!

I spend a lot of time on Steam, and keep track of these things. I’ve been there even longer than I have been here. The public sentiment about the game is barely positive, and is currently sliding down. Almost every thread, review comment, and response to developer comments is negative.

Maybe the Goons are just excited because the new NPC null-sec connections will allow them to build up their wallets to buy more Kestrels? I don’t know, I haven’t done the whole null-sec thing for over a decade.

Thanks for posting the graph that demonstrates what Destiny said was wrong. Mostly positive means “mostly positive” and the number of positive reviews dwarfs the number of negative ones.

The numbers don’t lie. The game is pretty positively reviewed.

And if you want to look at others, by all means.

If what you are saying is true, it would show up on the Steam ratings. Zhalyd put up the graph, and the number of negative views is far fewer than the positive ones, even recently.

I don’t know what point you’re trying to make - the game is well reviewed by any standard.

4 Likes

The features haven’t been announced yet and people are already complaining… Keep your energy when there will be an actual list of change dammit

9 Likes

You’re an optimistic fellow I see

The Gallente is Baltar and Caprica, and the Minmatar looks like… Bruce Willis and Boomer?

4 Likes

LOL! He pasted a Gamespot review! Gamespot!

Maybe he can throw IGN in there as well? Wait…did they get their money sack recently?

Ugh.

Do you really think that user scores that hover in the low seventies are a sign of good overall health? Really? If the text color is blue, everything is okay, right? Well-reviewed!

EVE Online is now a joke in the MMO/gaming world in general as well. In other games I play, it’s not referred to as that “difficult game where you can get rich or killed by pirate psychos” like it was in the past, but as “P2W trash.” Not that most EVE players would even be aware of this fact, however, as the majority of them are armchair-military geriatrics whose only other recent experience with gaming consists of those handheld Tetris machines that need 4 AA batteries.

7 Likes

I REALLY hope this has FW changes too.

I mean. The reason most EVE players wouldn’t see it that was is because we know that EVE isn’t P2W. And the people who do call it “P2W” or the old classic of “spreadsheets in space” don’t know what they’re talking about and can have their opinions disregarded safely.

2 Likes

By golly you are right. I think the Amarr may also be Baltar and Caprica

Dude, you realize that reviews aren’t made for the benefit of existing players, right? And that what we think about the opinions expressed therein is what actually gets discarded, right?

Potential players aren’t going to seek your sage guru advice when deciding whether or not to play EVE. They’ll read reviews, which clearly (and correctly) mention that you can spend a few thousand bucks to inject your way into a maxed-out character and buy ships, and will rationally conclude that this game is indeed “P2W trash,” even though the nerds actually playing it might know better.

Terrorists don’t think they’re terrorists - they think they’re freedom fighters. But what’s important is what the rest of the world thinks. CCP is notoriously and unforgivably bad at managing public expectations and sentiment, and the last remaining bastion of integrity that this game has - its difficulty - is now being stripped away by changes that read a lot like the script to an infomercial selling pickle jar-opening gloves.

“Has this ever happened to you?”

clip of person looking annoyingly at empty wallet

“Well now you can! Introducing new gates for even better ISK-making opportunities for [insert flavor-of-the-month synonym for capsuleer here]!”

Everything else that was good about the game has long ago been sold off in a sea of “Buy Now!” banner ads in the launcher.

3 Likes

Show me another 18 year old game that doesn’t have bad reviews.

Let’s take a look at, for instance, Metacritic’s user score of EVE Online - it’s 7.3.

Screenshot 2021-05-03 144517

Now, here’s Metacritic’s user score of World of Warcraft, the most popular MMO of all time - it’s 7.4.

Screenshot 2021-05-03 144624

Amazing, huh? A “universally acclaimed game” on Metacritic is barely ranked higher by users than a game you claim is being “review bombed.”

This is nonsense. First, most EVE players I know play a ton of other games. And I don’t know about you, but I’ve got every single major console and gaming device on the market (yes, I have a PS5 and an Xbox X|S) and I talk to plenty of non-EVE people and I have never heard anybody call the main game “P2Win trash.” I’ve heard them refer to EVE Echoes that way, sure. But not EVE itself. The #1 thing I hear from folks is “man, I’ve heard all kinds of crazy stories about that game but I’ve never tried it. Does all that stuff really happen?”

Again, I don’t know what your point is. If you don’t like the game, why are you here?

10 Likes

Tigh and Caprica, I think.

To be fair, right now every game is described that way by people who only play other games. It’s a generic insult used by people who don’t really pay any attention to the game.

4 Likes

Those were pay-to-win trash.

Well this fire isnt going out any time soon.

1 Like

What kind of asinine, goalpost-moving red herring is this? What does this have to do with anything?

Oh right, the game (that I’ve also played for a very long time so I’d know) that has the exact same issues as EVE magically has the same user score. How surprising. And how surprising is it that the game put out by a studio that virtually owns the gaming media market has such a high critic rating, compared to EVE, a game owned by a studio of non-gamers who aren’t even aware that other games exist, and are even less aware of how to pay off the gaming media for their vittles, which they wouldn’t do anyway because it would cut into their Brennivin budget.

Okay gramps. It’s good to see that our duly-elected representative is doing damage control for management.

No one’s even heard of EVE Echoes before.

Did this come straight out of the public relations package they provide for you during the CSM meetings?

Literally no normal person talks that way, you obvious shill.

What is this, your version of “you’ve activated my trap card”?

I like the game. What I don’t like is elbow-rubbing pseudo-politicians pretending like they know, understand, or care about the issues while trying to fill their pockets with enough twitch subs to pay for their $120 hair.

The CSM is the most responsible party for allowing CCP to get away with their worst decisions throughout the years because they legitimized those decisions by acting as a damper for public outcry. Your legacy is that of someone whose presence resulted in the game devolving into its current sad state that even the developers are now being forced to acknowledge with the changes they’ve been making. Don’t forget that.

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see the empire opening new gates

We might even get a “War in Heaven” to use a stellaris phrase

1 Like

Alakoni Ishanoya is female, CEO of Lai Dai and the other one that refused to sign the deal from CEP with the Gallente Senate involving the demilitarization of Caldari Prime after operation Highlander.

“This next Quadrant ‘Foundation’ aims to celebrate the identity of the four Empires of New Eden, (…) It represents the pride in the history of these four Empires that have become the cornerstones of New Eden”

I understand the Caldari power structure makes it difficult to make one person a poster face, but setting up a face that is hard to even recognize other than “Generic Caldari male grumpy face” in a quadrant that, among other things, puts the background in display?

(It is not Puok Kossinen from CEP, couldn’t find the face of the diplomat Akimaka Seraki that is mediating things in the current crisis…)

Who the hell is this guy? Where can i find information about him? Why the Fiction Portal was not mentioned?

Soemtimes it appears that the lore is handled by different compartmentalized teams that dont communicate with each other.

At least mention your own lore resources and sites if lore is about to get a buff.

1 Like

so you want to be able to paint your ships…no pls no iGunPro2 for ships

I was thinking of the CEP chair first, too, but he looks nothing like it. But since the other 3 are current leaders, it has to be a high-ranking figure in the state or will become one soon.

You asked if games with user scores hovering in the low 70s are a sign of good overall health. I showed you the granddaddy of them all is hovering in the exact same area as EVE, and Blizzard is still making something like a hundred million a month in revenue and nobody is out there claiming that WOW is dying. But yeah, every game that old is going to have bad reviews, especially games that go through major development changes that some people may not like. It’s inevitable.

I wasn’t paying any attention the critic rating, I was focusing on the user rating, which is what we were discussing. I don’t think critics engage in “review bombings” do they?

I’m not doing damage control for anybody - I’m calling you out on your false claim that the game’s reviews are somehow awful. They’re not.

You want an example of how people talk? Here’s a conversation I had with a friend very recently.

That’s how people actually talk about the game. Nobody calls it pay to win, because it’s not.

I like the game, too. What I don’t like are crybabies like you who ■■■■ up every single thread about on-going development with your constant whining about things nobody but you cares about.

If you think the CSM isn’t doing a good job, feel free to run for it yourself. Show the world you know better than me by convincing all your fellow players that you’re right and I’m wrong and take my seat. Otherwise, you’re just full of hot air and salt.

7 Likes