FPS Drops With Gate Jumps / Cynos

Thanks for the poke, I’ll further your poke to a techie.

1 Like

same problem with fps here. starting combat, going/undocking from station, jumping through gates. this problem appeared with the latest update. switching from dx11 to dx9 kinda solves this problem

This is happening to me. Undocking, jumping gates and bigger fleets framerates drops.

Ok first thing to check;
Turn this on in your launcher settings;

(Download the full EVE Game client).

Then make sure to enable DX11.

We’re also monitoring this on our end, but these 2 steps are known to fix fps problems in certain setups.

My system is running DX12. Download full EVE game client is ticked.

Still framerate issues

Had un-installed EVE and re-installed a few days back. My in game settings, overview etc once re-installed had remained and I still had the FPS issues.

I un-installed and re-installed again but onto a different hard drive. This time my in-game settings didn’t save and reverted back to original. My FPS issues have resolved.

@CCP_Fleebix

I appreciate the first reply to this thread from a CCP delegate 7 months + after the OP post.

The reply however is really underwhelmingly basic in comparison to the level of detail in the OP post which has been kept updated so that any CCP delegate that does stumble across this thread doesn’t need to trawl through lots of posts.

To make things easier for whoever picks this up @ the tech room.
The following should save them a lot of time.
The most important pieces of evidence that I have found which, which imo is critical, is how 3 rendered clients on the same rig behave when the issues occur.
Straight from the OP post

Bonus Information
I’ve established that the fault is client related.
How?
I can have 3 clients rendering at once (windowed mode). Lets call them A, B & C.
I can recreate the bug on client A, e.g. join a 30 man gang and jump through a few gates with fleet.
When the bug is recreated, client A freezes / stutters etc.
However client B & C remain unaffected.
I can also recreate the bug on client B and client A & C remain uneffected etc. eetc.

This categorically confirms the fault is client based, and not hardware based.

Hi @Hashure, the information from OP was delivered to the tech team when I posted my previous post, but thanks for the heads up.

@CCP_Fleebix looking forward to the response and fix.
Any idea on potential lead time?

Sorry mate, nothing I can say concrete timewise but I can confirm this is being looked at.

Bump !

Another 7 months here we go ! …

Yeah I am getting this as well, it’s getting very annoying, definitely delaying gate jumps, its like stuttering through the gate warp animation. Have no other issues, WH jumping seems fine for example.

same problem in fleet warp. when fleet gatecloak breake alltogether and entering warp i have 1sec freeze then some secs 60fps and then 1sec freeze… so 2-3 times in row. when in warp everything is ok again.

Are you running on a fresh install of Windows 11?

I had exactly the same problem. Upgrade from Win10 => W11. Everything was fine. After installing a fresh copy of W11 directly without installing W10 before … and EVE was unplayable. After reinstalling W10 everything is working again. Maybe this helps you.

My post:

Hi,
I’m having the same issue for maybe 2 weeks. I’m on W10, not W11 and nothing has change in my setup since.

In light of the upcoming DX9 phase-out, I recently switched back from DX9 to using DX11, and now I am having the same problems with FPS drops (nosedives actually) that others are describing here.

I have an old PC (i7 3Ghz / 12Gb RAM / AMD Radeon 5700 1Gb / Win7) but Eve runs perfectly fine in potato mode. I download everything and I get 60 fps on DX9, with a minor performance drop in busy areas. It’s great!

On DX11, my game still runs at 60fps, but now there are these crazy fps drops. Undocking is really bad, I get 10fps until my ship is in warp, then suddenly it goes up to 60. With DX9 I get 50-60 fps on undocking, depending on how busy it is, and only for a few seconds before it goes back up to 60.

It also happens around stargates, when other players warp on/off grid or take the gate. I can just sit at a gate, the game running at 60fps until someone takes the gate to leave the system. I see them disappear from the overview, then the framerate drops to 10 for a few seconds, then comes back up to 60. So my framerate drops while their jump sequence animation is playing… coincidence ?

And all this time at the gate, I am not doing anything myself, and nothing is happening on the screen. This tells me it’s not a hardware issue (cpu, gpu are fine, hdd is not being accessed furing the fps drop, etc.) and this is not a connection issue either. With DX9, this problem does not occur - at all.

I would go so far as to say that the problem does not exist when using DX9. It’s not like it is less severe, it just does not happen at all. I switched back to DX9 because these crazy fps drops around stargates are causing problems for me. Try flying a DST with MWD-cloak trick and see how far you can get before you fumble it and get yourself killed.

I have played the game with DX11 on this system with no problems in the past, so this bug is likely related to the new warp sounds and/or the jump sequence animation. I’ve seen some reports here that re-installing the game with default settings will fix the fps drops, and that is something I may try in the future. Meanwhile, I am going to enjoy my last month of Eve on DX9 and forget about this for a while. :confused:

I don’t know if this will help. Have you tried zooming out to max and checking if the fps still drops as severely? (suggesting it because a few smaller details and effects are not drawn when zoomed out)

Good point. Thanks for the suggestion, but I have seen enough to know that this is not a hardware problem. Just to confirm though, I am trying some more sessions on DX11 to examine the fps behaviour.

The fps drops on gates while players jump through, like I described earlier, is anomalous and should not happen. The zoom level has no effect on this at all. I can be zoomed out all the way, the fps drops are identical and just as bad. Zooming out will help a little bit on undocking (obviously), but again there are moments where the fps is really low for no reason. With DX9 this does not happen.

EDIT:

Here’s an example of the fps drop while I’m sitting on a gate, and someone else comes through. It even looks anomalous if you ask me.

FPS_monitor

Bump

This is actually got worse over the last few days …

I have noticed something similar. Might have something to do with the extra stuff being drawn when flying through systems with metaliminal storms.