Fun- This game is about fun. We should not be salty of anything ingame

This game is about fun. We are in a sandbox. So we will encounter different playing style ingame. Some maybe just want PVE but we are in a sandbox so we may encounter Pvper’s who hunt PVE players. If your a victim, yeah some ego maybe hurt but show sportsmanship and just do better next time. Whatever we do ingame. It’s just a game. we should not take it personally and let us not allow this game to make us unhealthy or affect us negatively in real life.

3 Likes

It is not. EVE costs waaaaaaay too much time, real life money, effort and nerves to be “just a game”. Anyone who keeps saying that is part of the problem why it is not more fun, especially this unwitting CEO of CCP who has no idea of anything related to EVE. Because EVE costs so much money, time, effort and nerves, it should be considered a serious hobby like model plane building, european football, car tuning or stamp collecting.

Take Blackout as an example: I have to spend hours per day in space to earn the money I want to earn and then do something else. Before that experiment I could just do it and check people coming into my area to see if it is worth it to stay and bait or leave and wait because getting killed without any meaningful way to counter the attackers with what I have is not fun. During Blackout, I had to press Dscan every 3 seconds for hours. This almost broke my keyboard’s V key and I could still not see if it’s worth it to stay or leave. I wasted even more time staying docked instead of doing what I like to do.

Another example are FCs. They have fun leading fleets but if the game constantly conspires against them with regular disconnects, chats not working, unresponsive clients during tidi and so on, I can vividly imagine how much fun they have. Not to mention that they (and their team of support people) put a ton of time into EVE to enable other people to have “fun” in fleets.

Saying that “EVE is just a game” belittles all the effort, spent money, time and nerves.

3 Likes

Did you try making friends?

2 Likes

Hes not here to have fun, remember?

This is a very serious space game.

:nerd_face:

3 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t think he was trying to belittle the time, effort, or skill of anyone. I think he was just trying to say that people should remember that we play eve to have fun, and that we should remember this context whenever we find ourselves getting angry at other players.

…And then you got angry at him for a perceived slight concerning the video game that you play to have fun.

3 Likes

THIS IS A SERIOUS HOBBY LIKE MODEL RAILROADS!

:tram::nerd_face: :train2:

6 Likes

All of us that play this games gives effort and time plus money. It is unhealthy if we put an unreasonable effort and time and money. If we put unreasonable effort/time/money and lose everything that’s not good. That’s why the eve principle is don’t fly ship/cargo you are not willing to lose or can’t afford to lose makes sense.

He is the Warlock of EVE Online…

…don’t you dare bring your only a game for fun filthy casual attitude to his Command Center!

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

What else would I get? Happy? Come on, don’t be foolish. I have to deal with enough fools on a daily basis as it is. Funny thing here, he keeps talking about fun but when someone comes around who plays another playstyle them him, this person suddenly doesn’t have fun and infringes on his fun. These kinds of people are always the most fun to deal with. When I do not see the fun in Blackout, I am an angry person, but when I suggest that these people should live in W-space, they refuse because it’s not their kind of fun. Funny, isn’t it?

1 Like

but when I suggest that these people should live in W-space .lol. judgemental. You don’t even know how I play this game.

Not very successfully or competently, that is for sure. I mean, you don’t even recognize the difference between someone wanting to have fun with local and that someone suggesting to someone else who doesn’t want local to move to W-Space where there is no local. That says enough. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok. I see, Your just one of those Dunning-Kruger which I Can’t waste my time arguing with.

I agree lol Most people should see this as a mare game XD I wouldn’t rage quit if I lost my ship. Or if I was evicted lol

This is probably my favorite post from @Neo_Bladedrifter. Some how some way a dude comes in here all disgruntled good laughs

2 Likes

EVE is just a videogame. I sometimes alternate between playing a bit of EVE and playing some Candy Crush on my mobile. Aren’t they both videogames?

1 Like

Only if you like comparing apples and cucumbers. Both are fruit but try to make a cucumber pie stick with people. :slight_smile:

In CC, no one can interfere with your playing. You can just close CC and return the next day to continue where you left off. You can also just start CC and do whatever you like when you like it. Does any of that apply to EVE? Hardly. The main selling point of EVE is that anyone can interfere with you at any time at any location. You also can’t just start doing whatever you like in EVE because it will interfere with other people, even of your own group, if you just start randomly mine asteroids that other people have lined up or leave certain asteroids behind just because they do not give good value (Dark Ochre Police, anyone?)

That aside, some people play CC so religiously and ferociously that they could well be EVE players instead. :joy:

From Wikipedia:

A game is a structured form of play, usually undertaken for entertainment or fun, and sometimes used as an educational tool.[1] Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more often an expression of aesthetic or ideological elements. However, the distinction is not clear-cut, and many games are also considered to be work (such as professional players of spectator sports or games) or art (such as jigsaw puzzles or games involving an artistic layout such as Mahjong, solitaire, or some video games).

*Emphasis mine

Yes, some people put a lot of work into Eve, and spend a lot of time and money. But it’s still a game you have chosen to play. If you put more effort into playing the game it doesn’t make it more than a game.

For some it costs a lot “money, time, effort and nerves”, but for others it is just fun or a challenge.
And European football is a game, the other 3 are hobbies. Unless you meant watching European football.

Then what is it?

I couldn’t agree more

I spend a great deal of time in wormholes, but head to nullsec for a vacation because of local. So nice to know who is or isn’t around. So relaxing :palm_tree: :beach_umbrella: :ocean:

You are missing the point with your explanation attempts. No one is arguing that EVE is not a game. I am arguing that it is not just a game. There is a slight but material difference between the 2 statements.

EF is a hobby for those people who do not play professionally in lower leagues. There is not just Bundesliga, Premier League or Primera Division in football. And for those who play it professionally, it is definitely not just a game but serious business because they get paid to do their job.

However, a funny thing here:

… Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration,…

In EVE, you play in ways that are very similar to actual work (regular hours, get paid to work for your alliance, do your thing in the same places, etc) in order to afford things you like to have or use, just like you work in RL to afford things you like to have or use. :slight_smile:

2 Likes