Gas Planet mining

I’m mining 6 planet up in .5 space.
Nothing big there as I am maxed out on planet management.

My Gas planet mining will not allow me more than 2 extractor heads on each mineral I am mining.

I have one storage facility for the minerals extracted and one launch pad.
Two level on processors and one level two processors. Making Coolant.
the facilities are very close to each other.
My other planets allow me a lot more extractor heads - this is the only one that does not.

Thoughts???

Thank you in advance.

Gas planets are huge and the connections for them eat up a lot of PG. Look at the size of the planets for reference.

3 Likes

To be honest: Any planet can be huge in EVE. The temperate planet Oris in Amarr has a diameter of 95,000 kilometers, while the gas giant Zorast in Amarr has a diameter of only 28,000 kilometers. There are even moons that are larger than their main planets.

1 Like

@Mansterdiglbf

you talking about PI … took a bit for me

first of all you have a command center … is it maxed upgraded?
if yes it should be possible to have:
1x launchpad
1x storage
4x T1 facility
2x T2 facility
2x extractor with 6 heads each

on any planet IF … but only IF everything is really close to each other
at least it works for me on each planet

so either your setup has an error or you just forgot to upgrade your command center

let us know … we gona find out

JuuR

Should even extraction of resources from gas planet be called mining? Or huffing? :thinking:

As for gas planets, they should rather be huge.
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-gas-giants-so-much-bigger-than-terrestrial-planets

Lol fk logic. How the fk is a bigger moon supposed to orbit around the smaller planet

2 Likes

EVE logic.™ (UJY-HE Planet 1, radius 5659 km, UJY-HE I - Moon 13 radius 29,107 km )

3 Likes

This must be an iron core planet stripped bare of its crust and a gas moon. But whatever it is or if it’s possible at all, it sure is a weird find. Thanks for sharing.

Its more about its weight rather than the size.

True, but look at the volumes… This moon has 136 times the volume of its planet.

Compare this to the densities of our moons and planets. Saturn has the weakest density of them all, less than any of the moons. The Sun itself isn’t very dense either and Earth is apparently the densest object in our solar system. And yet do the densities only range from 0.687 g/cm3 to 5.514 g/cm3, which is less than a factor of 10 in difference, and certainly less than a factor of 136.

Whatever is keeping this moon in it’s orbit must be pretty special compared to the standards of our own solar system.

1 Like

MASS !!

–Helpful Gadget

2 Likes

It’s curious that they have complex formulae for combat but forgot even simple bounds on RNG for celestial objects. If I recall correctly, Traveller / MegaTraveller had better generation tables.

2 Likes

I think what makes the moon orbit is its density and composition. Just because something is smaller doesent mean it has less weight. :thinking:

I believe they have made a handful of “balance passes” on the planet sizes over the years to get rid of some of the more egregious examples. but I think because it does have an impact on PI its not something that can be easily automated. so doesn’t get delt with all that often. I think the most recent one was the various home-worlds since if I remember correctly some of them would have been uninhabitable given their initial statistics.

UJY-HE I has a radius of 5659 km and a density of 3732 kg/m³, which translates into a mass of 2,887,429,768,635,326.244 kg (or something like that). UJY-HE I - Moon 13 has a radius of 29,107 km and a density of 1369 kg/m³, which translates into a mass of 141,411,390,820,435.393 kg (or something like that).

Unless my math is wrong (volume multiplied with density), the planet is in fact more massive. However, this entire planetary system is strange. There’s another moon with a radius of 9554 km. Oh, and a moon with a radius of 117,709 kilometers and a density of 1396 kg/m³(Moon 14), and that moon is a lot more massive than the host planet (9,536,807,973,297,865,789.216 kg, unless my math is wrong). The tip of the finger pointing outwards from the cluster is absolutely strange. As strange as the cluster it originates from. :smiley:

Lets say the elemental composition would be more metallic than the moon, perhaps increasing the planets magnetic field. I guess this would make the moon orbit around it despite its mass. :thinking:

Not sure if the magnetic field has a sufficient effect on such massive bodies but considering these values I would not be surprised at all. Regardless of the numbers, it would probably be a ridiculous sight when this thing causes a solar eclipse. Eternal darkness like in Riddick. And a lunar eclipse would probably be a very interesting sight as well.

Sounds more and more like an Easter Egg by CCP.

Maybe the orbits of the moons are in sync and create a perfect balance with the planet sitting in a Lagrange point.

2 Likes

Transcribing the numbers was evidently in error. The values I got were 2.833E+24 kg for the planet and 1.414E+26 kg for the moon

The moon doesn’t orbit the planet, they orbit each other around their common center of mass.

So yes, a moon could be larger in size than its planet, but it would need to be much less dense. Not sure how it could work and even if, we’d probably call it planet and not moon anyway.

Anyhow, it seems a bit unlikely to find such a thing. Maybe if Saturn for some reason lost its entire Hydrogen (including the metallic hydrogen) and had an extremly huge ice moon, it could happen. Not sure though.
I’d tend to doubt it. We know about two types of planet/moon-sized objects: gas and “stone”. So what you’re asking would need a gas planet (because lower density) to meet a stone planet that is smaller and more heavy.

This then poses a set of other questions: how did this light-weight gas planet came into the possension of all the gas when there were much heavier objects around? How does it keep its atmosphere? And so on.