Getting bumped in a freight highsec should make the bumper flagged

I’m not sure I’m following you there. What would cause the bumper to be able to shoot/kill the freighter, or does this scenario still assume a ready fleet of gankers?

I get the feeling that you at least agree that a freighter should not be a transport-things-in-perfect-safety big box.

1 Like

I’m talking about ganking the freighter still. Just that instead of only 15 seconds you get a lot longer meaning you don’t need an army of alts and it’s not close enough to a pure dps race vs the NPC’s to be treated as such.

Because to do the kind of changes that are needed to make ganking less boring and more exciting, you need two things.
You need longer, the longer a fight goes on the less you can simply do DPS maths and know you win, and the more unknown factors & player skill come into effect.
And you need more actions per minute. Especially for the defending side. Too many APM and it becomes a twitch fest which isn’t Eve, but right now a freighter pilot can do zero actions once a gank starts. So they need things to do. And the obvious thing to give them to do is the ability to fight to defend themselves.

I expect most to lose still of course. A freighter will still not be a combat ship so a decent combat ship will still kill it (just maybe not before concord timers if they have good pilot & player skill and a smart fit). A pair of them will do so easily I expect. But… here is where the unknown comes into effect. Start a gank in Niarja on a freighter for example. Right now it’s over in 15 seconds (give or take a little). This means people have to make a decision to intervene in less than 5 seconds, then 5 seconds (averagish) to lock unless using a special setup. And that only gives them 5 seconds to try and make enough difference. If the fight is instead 120 seconds… They can take 15 seconds deciding, 5 seconds to lock, and still have a full 100 seconds to make a difference.

And that could be two other freighters deciding to jump in, which means again, it stops that whole alt army, and makes things like freighter convoys possible again, where each player is flying a freighter, and they just move as a group. Sure you can jump them with a larger group on your end also, but now we have a fight going on, and that becomes even more interesting and less predictable. Especially with the way neutral logi is about to get treated. And the longer gank timer + freighters having serious defences & weapons (& other haulers/industrial types)means that suicide catalysts may not be the best choice due to their lack of tank. Which allows for a lot more variety in the gank ships also.

3 Likes

Disclaimers:

• I have suicide ganked hundreds of ships
  • I like suicide ganking
  • I’ve never died to a bump gank
  • I’ve died to ganks in general (being lazy), but I don’t mind

Bumping freighters to gank them has always been lame. It doesn’t fit with the rest of the rules for high-sec. at all. It effectively amounts to tackling a ship without penalty.

It’s completely disingenuous to claim that “CCP can’t fix it”. They can, and should.

I suspect most that defend it do so because it’s one of the few ways to reliably find non-consensual PvP targets in high sec. This, I sympathise with. Any nerf to bump ganking should be matched by new or expanded mechanics for non-consensual PvP in high sec.

3 Likes

War Dec spammers have been dealt a blow, time to belly up to the bumpers :slight_smile:

Sometimes I sit and wonder why carebears hate fun so much… :avocado:

1 Like

You keep doing this avocado thing… what’s up with that?

It’s a reference to a meme about a certain generation eating avocado on toast AFAIK

1 Like

It’s strange how “fun” for toxic types seems to mean “inflicting myself on others with zero consequences”. Your avocado toast is getting cold.

See what I mean? ^^^

1 Like

Don’t be daft, go away.

Yep, your toxic wannabe-bullyboy mentality is right there in the open for everyone to see. It’s ok, whoever hurt you can’t do so anymore, you can let go of acting like human detritus.

LOL “bully” do you hear yourself?

Violencing people’s space ships? Yes.

Pointing out hypocrisy and carebearism on these forums? Sure.

Bullying??? LOL wut? Who have I bullied? Cite an example. I’ll wait.

4 Likes

When you disagree with me, you are a bully.

When I lose, it’s not fair.

What I want… should be given to me.

3 Likes

I prefer being called a Social Terrorist… It’s what I identify as and now you’re labeling others as this demeaning word known as “bully”

I respect your life choices.

lol, when we disagree we’re “carebears” or some other equally asinine moniker, and you start in on it the second anyone even so much as questions your addiction to acting like a douchebag in a simulated universe, no matter how many times it is explained to you that catering to your type can’t foster growth, you just keep whining about being taken for granted despite clear evidence that giving predatory players free reign over the system has done nothing but slowly drain CCP’s coffers as they choke the servers with countless fake accounts owned by a handful of people. Then you wonder why people are instantly dismissive of your toxic garbage, because we’ve already heard it 1000 times, CCP has already heard it 1000 times, and guess what? Nobody cares anymore, we’ve all tried to listen to your childish crap and it’s just too ignorant to keep humoring, the game is changing, it wants to grow, you want to be a stagnant circle jerk of like minds, I wonder which will win? Growth always wins.

Preys will be preys.

Growth should never limit a game… This only reduces content… The game is about risk and therefore risk should be present in every activity… You don’t like risk, don’t play

1 Like

The dude says after 15+ years of the game catering my our type. LOL

1 Like

Balos, you forgot to cap some words this time.