Gideon Zendikar for CSM 19

Greetings capsuleers,

My story in EvE:
I started in ProviBloc and quickly started FCing/PvPing with my old Alliance Elemental Tide. I learned the basics of nullsec and tried my best to sustain myself within republicovs crazy frigate and destroyer kitten roams.
When my corporation decided to leave ProviBloc with Evictus. I doubled down on my FCing.
After leading my fellow members into many battles and getting better by doing so I quickly started FCing for the whole Legacy Coalition during several of the conflicts they had during that time (Winter War against FRT e.g.) But as all good things my time with Evictus came to an end when their development did not coincide with where I wanted to go within EvE.
As a former member of ProviBloc I returned to where I started. But this time it was different . I did not join ProviBloc but the group fighting my former comrades. Going back to my roots within T.R.C but far more experienced I did what I excel at: Take newbros, shape them into a formidable force and try to get them involved within the community as active new members.
Overcoming our archenemy I continued FCing within T.R.C until the day that a certain Reddit post was created that introduced me to the bad that can happen to you personally within a game that creates such tight bonds with your fellow peers.
After being accused of being a spy for the Initiative and later cleared from this accusation I joined the corporation I currently am a part of and this is where my story is currently at:

I mostly reside in Thera - go on deployments of different kind and try to be part of an active Universe. As an example of one of my activities you can check out some videos I made for Bring Solo Back.

What I hope to influence and give feedback on:

• Make space topology matter again: Too many tools break the geography of this game - be it jump drives, ansiblexes,filaments, conduiting or bridging when transversing through space one can avoid taking regular gates far too often. You rarely see fleets burning a long way through their own space anymore - this takes away chances for smaller groups to setup bombing runs, catching stragglers, bubbeling part of the fleet while the other part is stuck in warp so you can engage the smaller part first. All these angles of attack used to be deployed far more often when you actually had to take fleets through gates and the attacker could try to predict the path that the defender is likely to use. These things were vital to give smaller groups the chance to use their more connected communication and setup to fight the bigger groups. Ansiblexes in particular are the worst offenders of this. A more detailed reasoning is given in a reddit post I created using input from various FCs: Ansiblex Reddit post
  • More online shared bookmark folders.
  • Make Anoms broadcastable: Just an small tweak to that would be a huge quality of life improvement for small gang PvP - esp for hunters/tackle.
  • Keep skyhooks a point of conflict: CCP has hinted at changing the mechanics around the skyhook more in favor of the ones deploying them. Skyhooks have been a point of conflict and smaller scale fights often start on them. To keep them as a seed for local responses and conflict they have to both be worth defending and stealing. Here I could give reasonable feedback as someone who has been in Alliance Command and is doing small scale PvP regularly.
  • Increase nullsec active income: Nullsec income is currently severly outclassed by other available options: This leads to the active playerbase shifting to more insulated parts of space that are hard to interact with. Farmholes and mutaplasmids are examples of this. Leaving nullsec dominated by more passive and scalable options of income.
  • Increase value of fitting, reduce value of hulls: pirateering would be in a much healthier place if the ammount of loot you would get from regular t2/meta 4 fitted ships would increase. This would not affect PvE players directly by keeping the cut even point of their activity the same while increasing the incentives to go out and hunt those roaming in space. If loot would be a bigger income source of our day to day activities that would also be a much needed benefit for being in a smaller group as loot would have to shared by fewer players.
  • Inclusion of the base fitting skills into the default skillset of every char - it is okay if a newbro can not fit t2 guns on his hull but whenever one designs a doctrine or a ship for them you always have to keep their lower powergrid/CPU in mind and at the same time these pilots are kept from engaging with the community through a skillpoint barrier - This hurts player retention and is just not needed.
  • T1 ship reblance is needed: In my opinion T1 ships should at least be viable as an isk efficient way to engage against enemy pilots. A lot of T1 ships are no longer competetive even on a isk efficency basis. T1 Destroyers pale in comparisson to the faction destroyers that require the same skillset, they are too slow on grid and their relative big signature just makes them easy targets to apply to. Faction Dreadnoughts that just require an addional BPC while requiring the same materials to build make the T1 dreads not worth it as a whole. T1 battleships and dreadnoughts would just require a cost change to make them viable while T1 destroyers would require some balance changes (improve on grid movement speed to be at least faster than T1 Cruisers)
  • More rapid changes in the meta: It sometimes just needs a numbers tweak to upset the current status quo and those upsets give us theroycrafters and FCs a chance to be the ones adapting faster by putting time and effort into figuring out the new meta as well as give industrials rapid new emerging markets that will benefit those that are able/willing to adapt quickly.
  • remove/adjust drone assist. Multiboxing is fine as it limits the effectiveness to react to disruptions of your gameplay as the player can be overwhelmed by the increasing demand for input he has to manage. This leads to a drop in efficency if he tries to utilise as many accounts as possible. This dynamic is limited for drone ships as they can scale far easier by assiting their drones. leading to examples where one player in a massive drone assisted fleet can contest smaller to midsized Alliances worth of players on his own.

Interview on Push to Talk:

6 Likes

Would you support CCP putting NPC stations in every null sec region? Why or why not?

What’s your favorite ship to fly?

You have tagged yourself as a CSM for wormholers. What changes are you advocating for exactly or was it a misclick? I understand you may be situated in Thera, but what about wormholes in general? C5/C6?

If you are not advocating for changes (like reverting the drifter change), could you not put the tag for wormholers if you have not put anything for us?

It’s important I think to understand that the CSM has extremely limited power to make CCP change anything. The main thing they do is help provide CCP with feedback on the things CCP are already planning to do.

Geography should matter - npc stations give less control over a region to the nullregions adjacent to that station. I do not mind there being a difference between regions in that aspect. If people deem dronelands for example to be that much more valueable because of that reason - go there invade it claim it as your own.

Retribution, Gnosis, Exeq Navy are currently options i enjoy as they are cheap enough that i can take a risky engagement and not be bothered about the loss.

Wormholes by their nature are less connected than nullsec - the connections are unstable and mass limited. For day to day reliable content for peolpe in wormholes that dive into Null and peolpe like me from Thera content from Nullsec is an important part for a healthy EcoSystem. So the direct changes here would be more adressing income inbalances between different risks for the day to day operation. A lot of the high income active tasks atm are min maxing peolpe into more isolated parts of space that are harder to interact with: PvE abysaals, Highsec incursions and in parts wormhole krabbing are overshadowing other spaces active income options. A more healthy and vibrant Nullsec that has currently the most players would give wormholers more people to hunt - similar to the targets that like old rorq whaling fleets.

In regards to this there seems to be a disconnect between current representation on the CSM and a lot of Wormholers that were engaging with the old Skyhook system. Reading comments across the discords I am part of and the disconnect when debating these topics via pms with some of the CSM shows that there is a group not really represented well atm.

I do not think you understand what WH life has come to for the recent drifter changes. Hunting does not equal isk gain. While content is fun, it does not give the isk needed to fund WH ventures. The content you seem to be aiming at is mainly nullsec and less on issues that are plaguing the current life for Wormholers.

I live in C5 WH space and you have not shown any reason why I sohuld vote for you for WH space. You have not addressed any problems that we are facing nor any solutions.

I know you have stated, “CSM has extremely limited power to make CCP change anything. The main thing they do is help provide CCP with feedback on the things CCP are already planning to do” is false. Look at the skyhook changes that were made because of the Nullsec blocs complaining about it. You in fact do have the power to advocate for changes and for better gameplay.

With these views in mind, I cannot vote for you.

Thursday evening Gideon was kind enough to come over to the Eve Rookies Discord for an interview about his CSM19 campaign! Here’s the video.

1 Like

@Gideon_Zendikar Do you support hiring (EVE Vanguard) Warclone Mercenaries as an attack/defense vector in Capsuleer conflicts? Like attacking/defending Planetary Infrastructure, Skyhooks/POCOs and Upwell Structures?

As a CSM would you try and pitch for CCP to make stack multi-split (splitting a stack of items into multiple stacks of same size in one go instead of just one split at a time) happen?

CCP could add mechanics that connect the two seperate games in an economic way - I do not think a direct interaction between those worlds would result in a better gaming experience on both ends. There is a reason people choose a more relaxed sandbox game - forcing that crowd to have to interact with a gametype they do not deem to be their first choice is probably not really helping with retention or the health of the game.
This is not even considering the different requirements to play both games fluently which will always be a burden to people that do not own an up to date computer.
In light of these secondary issues i would encourage them to rather deal with direct problems within EvE first.

O7 Gideon Zendikar,

Last year I asked eight questions and then compiled the answers into a huge mega-thread. It was massive. With the exception of MILINT_ARC_Trooper, no one had a thread bigger than mine, to be fair MILINT_ARC_Troopers’ thread was so weighty and knowledgable it teetered on the edge of collapsing into its’ own core.

That catalogue of replies is now a time-capsule and encapsulated within are the hopes and disappointments that CSM 18 candidates considered worth speaking about during the year of EVE’s 20th anniversary.

The responses gave voters en masse an opportunity to test and compare each hopeful CSM 18 candidates commitment to their claims of being community oriented, knowledgable, responsive and representative of player values. Given that the CSM does not directly control any aspect of EVE’s development and that the successful candidates are those that can identify existing and future consequences, co-operate with other CSM members, and communicate issues -from a player perspective- to CCP staff one-to-one, I’ve formulated a set of questions designed to seperate the compressed ORE from the Long-Limb Roes in this years election race.

Year-on-year the Independent Representatives, Solo players with single accounts, Worm Holers, Triangle People, Semi-nomadic Role-Playing Sandbox Explorers, and Salvagers, have been organising and gaining traction against the self-secure Null-Bloc Empire Candidates and their vast hordes of leather-skinned, evil, flying-monkeys. More-and-more players are choosing to vote in members they believe can positively impact CCP’s approach to the game regardless of their in-game affiliations.

Exposure matters, who are you, what is your clue?
As was the process last year I will post each candidates reply in a super thread, first-in first-served.

This years questions:

1. What ONE identifiable consequence requires CCP’s attention?

2. What PROVABLE evidence can you supply to support your belief in this situation?

3. What practical, and balanced change can be made to support a solution if any?

4. What support do your observations have from other CSM candidates?

5. How will you present your findings to CCP?

If you have already identified and spoken about a problem in your CSM candidacy bio at the top of this thread feel free to copy pasta that response where applicable. I’ll copy paste directly from your response to this post. Choose your goblet…. wisely.

Let the games begin, and may the odds ever be in your favour.

1. Ansiblexes
  2. sov maps and the lack of medium groups existing in the current meta - a thread i created and is cosigned by a lot of EvE content creators and/or leadership: Reddit - Dive into anything
  3. Anything that creates more of a delay for projection across multiple regions/lots of jumps
  4. If you check the other posts on this forum this point is often repeated in a lot of drafts
  5. create more posts like mentioned in 2. to get broad feedback that is backed by data