Giveaway for rookies and helpful veterans!

@Clary_Daemon thank for the reply.

From time to time I do give advice on Rookie chat for what it’s worth. and I have done for a few years now.

The thing that’s put me off more recently is the bloated nature of it as a chat channel.

For example, I just went on now and there are 2236 people in the channel. Sometimes it goes so fast it’s almost impossible to keep up with what’s being asked about.

So my question is this: what’s the best current approach to interfacing with Rookie Help? do you see the question and PM the person who asked? Or just type an answer anyway hoping that they’ll see it?

I think it’s great that it exists as a channel, but they need to find a way of making it smaller because right now, was a rookie with a question I’d be heading towards EVE University (E-UNI) help (110 people currently in the chat), or English Help (Help) (383 people in the chat) because I might actually see an answer there rather than see it scroll out of view virtually instaneously because of how many people are typing at any given moment.

:mouse:

How I do it:
If it’s a simple question with short answer: drag their name and write a quick response.

If it’s a question that is unclear and requires more info from the rookie, or when I expect to respond with more than a couple of lines, I open a PM.

Sometimes you may notice a rookie asking the same question multiple times in frustration because nobody answers, I open up a PM with those as well.

2 Likes

Thanks @Gerard_Amatin. That is pretty much what I was doing although this means that a lot of my replies disappear from view meaning that @Clary_Daemon might not enter me in the draw. (Ho hum. Just for the record the skill points would be nice but I’d help newbies either way, because, like I said, others helped me when I was a rookie, and I like to pass the positivity forward).

Either way, I think CCP will have to do something about it sooner or later because there are currently 3582 people in the chat which is basically insane! Maybe there should be several rookie chat channels - Rookie Help: Ships, Rookie Help: PvP/PvP, Rookie Help: Other for example.

:mouse:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, most of them aren’t active in the chat. Every new account is forced into it, and the number contains all people who entered the chat after you did.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is a problem. I try my best to answer every question I see by linking their name to get their attention, then typing really fast.
That’s one of the reasons I created this, because I can’t answer everything, especially with how fast it goes.
There are others there too, but sometimes it’s hard when you have ■■■■ posters in there trying to lead rookies astray.
I’ve got to say, it’s nice seeing some people from the forums in there answering questions.
My list is growing!

1 Like

I have see you and Gerard today. Others may also be there, but I don’t know their alts.
Should I expand the rules to indicate that I should be made aware if using an alt, like I do, for rookie chat?

1 Like

i would like to meet you ingame please

i would love to meet every veteran with heart and mind in right place . please reach out to me …

2 Likes
  1. Like Gerard said, try to use the best ship for the job, and try to only fly what you can afford. That said, experiment. Try different ships. Try different weapon systems. Maybe you’ll find something that you like better. I started out using lasers, but I’ve found that I like missiles and drones too, so I’ve started training into Caldari and Gallente (i’m an Amarr).
  2. Try to have a plan for how you’re going to train your skills. I trained my skills randomly, training whatever I decided I needed to train. I feel now that this was inefficient and I’m regretting training certain skills before others.
  3. If you are in a trade hub, you’ll often see people posting links to contracts. Some of these people are just trying to advertise their products, but some people are trying to scam you. One common scam is for the player to post three contracts titled " for get it now!" The first two contracts would have the cheap price, but would have been completed already, while the third contract either has the product at an extremely expensive price or a different, cheaper product. You should be aware of these scammers and always pay attention to the contract and everything listed in it before you accept it.
3 Likes

Seems to be very little interest.
If there isn’t enough for a drawing by next Wednesday, I will simply have to send the injectors to the only 2 participants, and consider a new path for giving back to the community.

I’m open to suggestions.

1 Like

something like this aimed at new players you are going to be better off advertising in local or in an advertisement specific channel in game, or in, in game events on the forums…

:red_circle:Help me understand. You talk of giving back, which implies the community gave in the first place.
My I know what you recieved? Just curious.

Make a new corporation, recruit only new players into it. Use your money as seed capital for ship replacement and as regular pay to ensure that members don’t need to grind low-end PvE.

The entire purpose of the corporation is mercenary work. You can buy a lot of Thrashers with even a single PLEX, and if you bring like 200 of them, even Hell Dawn are going to be shitting their pants. Call the corporation like “Lil’ Dumbshits” or something to be extra edgy. Kind of like Goons, but in high-sec and with a lot more smack-talk in local.

2 Likes

Patience, Knowledge, Help.

I didn’t start out as an even tempered, helpful person. I wasnt very nice tbh.

2 Likes

Nice. :+1:

Thank you.

:stuck_out_tongue:
:frowning:

Good luck to everyone participating and thank you for doing a good thing for the community. While I cannot participate I wish everyone luck.

1 Like

im helpful
:pleading_face:

1 Like

I put that stipulation on there arbitrarily. I would rather not give omega to someone that quits within a week. I don’t recall how many sp an alpha gains in a couple weeks.
Ideally, omega status would help them get the skills they need to fly better than t1. I feel like they would find more enjoyment if they could fly t2 frigates, for example.

I mean sure but new players would probably have no idea how to get 3.5m sp in the first place. It would seem as if that would lead to more alts joining with experience. But I do understand your points and I respect the restrictions.

Bump just in case more people become interested.
If I don’t get enough interest by tuesday, I will close the giveaway and consider better ways to help new players.
As is, Ma’ad Diib and Gerard Amatin will recieve 2 Large Skill Injectors each. I’ve seen them both being very helpful, and generally good people!

I gave you a good idea above. Just doing handouts never works, and is rarely a good idea. And people who train and mentor new players don’t do it because they expect to get something out of it.