High Sec Orca AFK problem solved?

There seems to be something like a consensus that the orca is a bit overpowered. Not a universal agreement, mind you.

When I play Eve, my preferred play style is ganking, so I would like a solution that makes them easier targets.

The OP is a miner, so would like to make them even more overpowered as miners, but less effective AFK.

CCP wants the Trigs to kill them when they are AFK (since Concord doesn’t apply to trigs, so the structure tank is not quite as effective).

Other people want to fix the Orca by rolling it back to its old booster role.

None of these solutions is loved by all. The idea of making the orca even more overpowered for mining while obligating the pilot to be active (or bottling) does not seem like an appropriate solution. If you want a better mining ship, then ask for a huge yield boost for the Hulk - the ship that is supposed to be the best mining ship.

3 Likes

That would work for null, not so much for low and high sec. I rarely ever see anyone mine in a Hulk in high sec because they can be popped in 5 seconds flat.

Only from the people who can’t accept to pay to more than a few catalysts to kill a ship.

It’s not that the orca is overpowered - it’s that the barges are just plainly bad. They are designed to be sitting ducks.

Yeah … that is my ENTIRE point - mine actively with dscan and appropriate countermeasures. Mining in a mindless torpor in highsec is not a playstyle I respect - especially when these people want better yields for being zombies.

3 Likes

I agree with you there. Anything to reduce the amount AFK going on is fine by me.

2 Likes

Why ?
It’s a game, not supposed to be a torture.

If people wanted to play with dscan every 5s they’d go in a WH.

Welcome to EVE. It’s been like this since day 1, no matter whether you play in high sec or null…

BS.

Again.

Let me guess, you are one of those who recently installed the game maybe 3 or 4 years ago that think High Sec is supposed to be “safe”…

No I won’t.

You just spout stupid BS again and again.

You’re a 2016 toon, so that explains it. You have no idea what EVE used to be like. High sec players have never had it better or easier.

2 Likes

Again, BS.

spamming DSCAN has never been requirement.
Nor has it ever been enjoyable.

Also, I could log in with a 2020 alt, would not change a thing to that.

@Anderson_Geten I have my own bias, I am trying to be upfront about that. The orca has a huge tank and (semi)huge mining yield and a huge ore hold. It costs a lot, but I don’t think it is balanced.

This isn’t my circus, but asking for an increase on Orca mining yields seems wrong to me. A Hulk, on the other hand, one of the least used mining ships, seems like it could afford some buffing.

3 Likes

The Hulk is the least used mining barge because it is the most expensive and the most paper thin. You can either have tank or you can have yield. That’s why there are 3 types of barges to choose from. You can’t have both…

Isn’t Eve about choices? If you want yield, you should be pushed toward a Hulk, not an Orca.

You have choices. You can either go with yield (hulk), capacity (mack), or tank (skiff). You can’t have all three in one ship…

It is called The Orca.

1 Like

But the Orca isn’t a mining ship, it’s an industrial support ship that just so happens to be able to field mining drones and has less yield than a T1 barge.

Ok, so it only has 2 out of 3.

If there were a ship that had all 3, no one would ever use anything except that ship…