High Security Space Toxicity concerning MTU's

Are you saying you don’t think MTU killing in HS space is toxic?

I think as the title suggests there is a high level of toxicity within High Security space perpetuated by players who spend the majority of their time preying on new and inexperienced players in the ways that are currently available to them. I believe this can easily be defined by the widely excepted definition of the word Griefing “the act of intentionally annoying, disrupting, or spoiling the experience for other players in online multiplayer games or communities” and these actions disproportionally affect new and inexperienced players who largely reside in High Security space. I believe it is important to acknowledge that the game isn’t perfect and while my solution might not be the best one, it should be in everyone’s interest to improve upon the game where possible to retain more players and possibly even bring back new and returning players who may have left due to the nature of High Security space and it’s shortcomings. I think this methodology was seen and acknowledged in examples such as protecting rookies from griefing in specific systems and in the change to bumping caused by intentional griefing. I don’t think it is unrealistic to believe that in the future more changes will come to Eve Online in terms of making the experience more enjoyable for more casual or inexperienced players. It may not be my proposal today but someone else’s down the road and I think the people who come into these forums with the intention of flaming, personal attacks, providing information intentionally to cause distress or harassment or to intentionally obfuscate someone’s point of view in the hope of bullying them into taking down their post is a net negative to the community.

I agree with you that there need to be some safeguards for new players so that they can learn the basics of the game without immediately falling prey to the PvP environment that EVE online is.

This is why I’m glad ‘Rookie Griefing’ rules exist, to help rookies get their footing until they too grow up and participate in this competitive universe.

I also think that player-versus-player combat in itself is not ‘toxic’, ‘griefing’ or ‘harassment’, not even in high security space. Spaceship combat is what this game is about, so following the game mechanics is in general not ‘toxic’ or ‘harassment’.

What I do see as ‘toxic’ is the act of accusing people of ‘flaming’ or ‘personal attacks’ when they merely add public info that is relevant to the topic like the name of the character you post under, or the nice kill you made on a MTU killer in this MTU-killing thread.

With that in mind you seem to occasionally take things more personal than intended and this might also be why you see MTU killing as ‘toxic’, ‘griefing’ and ‘harassment’. To others it’s just a game.

They shoot a thing and get loot.

Why would you support Rookie Griefing if it is a direct contradiction to your Ethos that the game is a PvP space ship shoot ships game. Why not teach these rookies right out the gate that they are never safe in Eve and spawn camp them in the starter zones? I’ll tell you why, because it would drastically reduce player retention and prevent new players from ever even trying out Eve, my proposed solution is only an extension of this methodology yet you detest my opinion and disregard it but you support this.

you absolutely put that information on this forum multiple times with the intention of having more people access it and harass me, wordsmithing to circumnavigate that is futile.

No, I support Rookie Griefing rules because it allows Rookies to have the time to learn the basics of the game if they need it.

HS space is not safe space for Rookies. It’s just one of the parts of space with it’s own engagement rules, but it’s still competitive and not safe.

…

Honestly I assume zkillboard is public info to everyone. Sorry if that is not the case.

No, that was not my intention, as I have said multiple times already. You may have a different interpretation, but I don’t know how I can make clearer that that was not my intention besides saying that it was not my intention.

Likewise someone shooting your MTU may not initially have intended to ‘grief’ you, they might have just been after the loot inside.

(To assume evil intent is pretty toxic, if you ask me.)

Except rookies don’t learn the game just in the starter zone, they learn gradually after leaving the starter zone, they don’t learn that there is a large playerbase within High Sec using every available method to aggress and kill them as soon as they explore outside of the starter zone. Loot stealing, MTU killing, duel spam, you name it, this half hearted support for the earliest days of a players account yet allowing for them to quit the game just a little later when they get ganked or aggression baited the first time is unreasonable in my opinion, you either support helping the new[ player or returning player community or you don’t.

I support helping new players get to know the game.

Personally I would recommend them to leave high sec space at the earliest convenience to get to know how to survive on their own wits rather than to rely on the crutches of HS engagement rules.

But for those who require more time or a bit of safety they can stay safe within the Rookie Griefing systems for some weeks to learn the basics.

To leave the information up knowing it is only going to make it easier for other viewers to extend their harassment to me in game for sharing my viewpoint in the forum is in my opinion clear intent, if you only needed it to make your point you could’ve removed it when the point was made, but you intentionally left it up so when other people visit this post they can find everything they need to know in order to share their grievances with me ingame immediately, most viewers likely wouldn’t have even thought about maliciously looking up my zkill to hunt me down ingame so you prepared it for them.

Honestly cannot tell if this is satire.

2 Likes

Again, your name is public info:

and so is zkillboard public info where you’ve chosen to publicly share your kills.

I do not understand why you would see sharing such info as ‘clear intent of harassment’ when the kill I shared was clearly not to shame you as it was a good kill and nothing to be ashamed about.

Interesting why would they make a forum rule about sharing public info? I wonder why? Based on your statement it’s public so who cares if it was intentionally placed and left on the forum for a clear direction for players to follow.

They clearly state in the rule why they made that rule.

Honestly it is what it is, you want to claim ignorance for intentionally posting my info to incite harassers that’s fine. At the end of the day, I voiced my opinion, I think it would be a good change to the game or at least a talking point for others to discuss in the future.

And I think it would be bad for the game if people couldn’t clear MTUs that are left in inappropriate places.

Miners jetcanning? Place a MTU next to them to harass them. Now they cannot jetcan mine unless they first sacrifice a ship to destroy your MTU.

Someone looting a grid of blue wrecks? Place a MTU and steal their loot. They cannot do anything against it without going criminal.

MTUs can be used competitively. People should be able to clear it without sacrificing a ship.

There is already a solution for this ingame, they dissapear after a number of hours

Yea, 48 hours.

That’s a bit long when compared to the other activities I mentioned, don’t you think? No miner is going to wait 48 hours before continuing their mining session in that belt, and if someone wishes to loot those wrecks, the wrecks will have been gone for 46 hours before that MTU disappears by itself.

No, people should be able to get rid of MTUs without sacrificing a ship.

That’s an interesting take from someone who also says if you are getting griefed or harassed in High sec that you should simply log off for a while or play an alt

Dumping a 10 million MTU is zero effort.

Hunting a player while he’s online takes effort and time.

If someone is willing to do the latter to you it’s a simple solution to indeed log off for a while and play on an alt, or to play somewhere else in space. They’re a person and will eventually get bored, so you can continue playing as usual. Telling you that you can avoid that player who puts in effort and time with such strategies is a proportionate response.

Playing somewhere else in space or logging off because someone dumped a MTU next to you that will automatically pull your stuff for the next 48 hours is not a proportionate response. They could be placing more MTUs wherever you go and you wouldn’t be able to legally do anything about it if your wish came true. To ask you to log out or move away because of a 10 million deployable is disproportionate.

I hope you can see the difference.