Highsec combat

… how. Not going to lie on any of my toons with low sec status low empire standing isn’t going to affect me.

As for the lore aspect as far as the empires are concerned unless directly interacted with they would rather pretend capsuleirs didn’t exist. They are absolutely terrified of us and put all the responsibility on CONCORD to protect themselves. And the only reason CONCORD gets involved is to make sure our conflicts don’t get so large in empire space that we wipe out every one of those lesser beings in the crossfire. So no, they couldn’t care less that one immortal was being a moron and wasting his isk. If anything they would be glad the other immortal might make the first consider never coming back to the system.

1 Like

Lore-wise, that’s not a bad counter. The problem with it is that the empires have no problem downgrading your standing if you shoot their ships. They’re clearly not so terrified that they won’t already do that.

The penalty is having to dodge faction ships regardless of sec status once you go under -2 to them (faction standing, not sec status). It adds a wrinkle.

The gankers aren’t attacking the empires in anyway though.

*Offers @Clenis a tissue* :rofl:

They are not. Empires have resource locations free from independent capsuleers most of time. Hisec-mining is mining a trash empires don’t need.

So, you want to base it off the negligible standing loss you receive after killing thousands of the empires citizens in your level 4. With blowing up some barge of a guy who happened to be in their space? You’re going to have to blow up an awful lot of freighters to even get -.01 let alone -2.0

Yeah and I’m sure it’s out of the goodness of their hearts they let you mine it for free. Not out of fear of retaliation from immortal gods.

Also if it’s the trash they don’t need why do the send out their own mining fleets into the belts?

And with some diplomatic solution it’s as low as -8.75

This thread again , when someone makes a proposal , but doesn’t understand game mechanics.

3 Likes

Okay, I doubt you’ll be persuaded, but I want to reiterate what others have said, as well as bring up my own point.

Most gankers operate with <-5 sec status and faction police chasing them because they find it’s not worth the time nor the isk to be constantly repairing their sec status. I mean, why repair it when you can use strats that allow you to operate just fine without having to manage your sec status? In other words, your proposed change will effectively accomplish nothing.

Second, why does ganking need a nerf? Where is your evidence that it is too oppressive, too easy, or too risk free, or that there is not adequate counterplay? How will this impact risk to reward ratios in highsec? What kind of impact would this have on the economy? How will this impact career incomes (especially for industrialists and region traders)?

I ask all these questions because the truth of the matter is that ganking is already balanced in favor of prey, and it doesn’t actually need a nerf. What we have here is not an instance of an activity in need of a rebalance, but a large number of players perceiving balance as being in favor of the ganker. In fact, if everyone followed best practices, ganking would die overnight#. Fortunately for the profession, there is no shortage of people doing stupid things.

Ganking doesn’t need another nerf, because it is already quite easy to avoid being ganked. Moreover, there should be consequences for doing stupid stuff. Players should be punished when they be stupid. And further nerfs to ganking will just make it easier and easier for players to do stupid things without getting punished.

It’s already trivially easy for players to opt out of wardecs. Let’s not make it trivially easy for them to opt out of ganking too.

And those who straight up want a game without non-consensual PvP can go play Eve Echoes, and leave my Eve alone.

#Note: Gamers perceptions of fairness can often conflict with each other, and can frequently be inconsistent with reality. For example, the people against pay to win view it as players using RL money to buy an unfair advantage, but if you ask those who do P2W, one of the common reasons they bring up for doing it is that it helps them to overcome the unfair advantage that vets and no-lifers have over them. Moreover, extra credits has a video about how player perceptions of chance is inconsistent with how probability works. Thus, if designers didn’t subtly manipulate RNG, it would feel wrong to players. Of course, this begs the question, “should ganking somehow be tweaked so that it is perceived as being more fair by prey?”

No P2W

1 Like

Don’t attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by laziness.

2 Likes

well, not that much of a practical difference.

Nah if you’re actually just stupid it’s probably do to something out of your control. You have to choose to be lazy

I’m too lazy to make that choice.

2 Likes

I like how carebears try and come up with a new way of rehashing a garbage opinion. Like if you took the same amount of time as posting this as you did to fit your ships properly, watch local, scout ahead and plan, you wouldn’t be getting ganked.

4 Likes

somebody’s feelings are hurt

don’t brag about being smart when you have 3k posts on eveo

1. sec status and faction standing aren’t the same thing. you can’t fix faction standing with clone tags.

2. i will feel free to provide you all your requested evidence on the economy and the entire state of the world when you provide in-depth reasoning and evidence that ganking is balanced with a positive effect on the economy. in other words, i don’t have to prove the entire world to you because i suggested a change that hurt your feelings. if you want to make ridiculous demands every time a change is suggested, either grow up and man up and do the same work yourself.

3. the assumptions you guys make in this thread about me are kind of sad. i don’t hate pvp. i’ve done plenty of it in this game and others. i don’t even hate ganking. i think it’s a valid playstyle. i do find gankers to be tedious children who scream adapt or die all day long, then whine to the heavens when anyone suggests a minor tweak, as i’ve done, to their mode of play. for all you guys cry about others whining, nobody, and i do mean nobody, outshines you guys when it comes to the tears.

all that being said, i think that sec status hits alone are not a real tradeoff. once upon a time, you had to go grind your sec status back up so you didn’t get shot by the faction police. that’s how i did when even i, yes me, was -10. clone tags make it a joke now. hits to faction standing will make it more annoying, how much i’m not sure, but it won’t be a real nerf or any kind of impediment to smart people. others will find it impossible and, well, too bad. like you guys always say: adapt or die.

while you cry in my thread

man you’re dumb

No they mine the same belts as capsuleers. The lore reason for why you don’t find high end ores in hi-sec because the empires have already taken it all. But they still need trit, and therefore veld/scord, so you’ll see npc mining gangs in hi-sec belts.