Remove suicide ganking from high sec

Suicide ganking should not be possible in high sec. I’m sick of no life morons from Code ruining the game for those of us who just want to mine in peace. Please make suicide ganking impossible.

15 Likes

I think you should look into any of the other space-themed games out there, which might suit what you are looking for better. Danger in all parts of space is a core tenet of EVE Online’s personality. High Security does not equal Omnipotent Security. Even in a real world major city the police are a reactionary element; Why would you expect them to be anything more than that here either?

25 Likes

Don’t compare Eve to the real world. Eve is unrealistic in practically every comparison with realism you can make. Eve physics is hilarious, and in the real world criminals get shot for good or go to prison. They don’t get to murder all day with the police reacting repeatedly all day.

Also, the word you were looking for was ‘tenet’.

8 Likes

No, and just no.

Not a ganker, but that’s just the death of the game. There’s no safety in this game. CONCORD are there to punish, not hold hands.

18 Likes

Thanks! English is not my primary language, so sometimes I make mistakes with vocabulary of similar construction.

4 Likes

Mining in a Hulk a few jump from Jita is not what one does to “mine in peace”. That is what an adrenaline junkie does. I mean chasing yield like that by flying the most fragile ship in the heart of New Order territory?

If you want to mine in peace, you do it like a sensible miner and find a quiet place and put some defenses on your ship. It’s great that Eve offers such diverse gameplay, so why would you want CCP to remove the game for us miners who like to mine in places and ways that are a little more ‘spicy’ than your taste for safe and AFK?

17 Likes

If you could mine “in peace”, the ore you harvest would be worthless. No risk = no reward. You can mine in peace on Singularity where the ore you mine has no impact on the Eve economy.

14 Likes

Yet in this case his comparison is not wrong.

Mining in highsec should not be possible. We can see from monthly economic reports that vast majority of ore is mined in Delve and that highsec mining adds almost nothing to economy and mineral supply. Stop being a goofus and come to Delve!

4 Likes

really, i am not in code, i dont like code, but these posts are getting boring, look at the 4903259032590 other posts requesting the same thing. wont happen.

12 Likes

Several years ago, I did a lot of ice mining in Everyshore. There are 8 belts in 5 systems within a couple of jumps of each other. Needless to say this is a popular watering hole for both miners and gankers.

I quickly learned that my Procurer (and later Skiff) was completely safe as long as someone on grid was flying a Hulk or Mackinaw - and someone always was! I witnessed a lot of ganks but never participated.

Gankers - like the rest of us - want maximum value for minimum cost. There are a lot of things you can do to mitigate risk - start by making yourself an unattractive target!

9 Likes

I’m ok with ganking to an extent and it’s easy to jump on the HTFU bandwagon to people like the OP, but EVE is losing players. That’s simply a fact that I don’t think they can ignore anymore.

There needs to be a place where “carebears” can be part of the game or they will go elsewhere. They shouldn’t be shielded from all combat but ganking has gotten a bit out of hand imo. Add to that all the other factors (trig rats, Npc miners, etc.) and you get people leaving. MMOs aren’t supported in subscriptions by pvp players, pve players are a much larger population. If they keep leaving, then we won’t have a game left.

4 Likes

I’m sick of clueless morons that think it’s OK to play a game without making any effort to learn what it is about and how to play it properly, and then demand changes to the game be made to meet their ridiculous expectations.

13 Likes

Keep in mind without destruction the materials you’re mining are worthless and if everyone can mine safely they will be doubly worthless.

2 Likes

My only concern about this mentality is that there IS a place where carebears can be part of the game. If they want to do their thing in peace, they can do so almost anywhere in hi sec space. I’m an explorer, and I jump through empty hi sec systems with plenty of freely available belts all the time.

So it’s not so much that these players just want to be able to mine or rat in peace–they want to do it where they want, when they want. They don’t want to look for an empty system. They don’t want to fleet up with friends who can defend their operations. They don’t want to pay for proper tanking and they don’t want to lower their yield by flying ships with more rapid align times. It takes only the slightest bit of work, but for some that seems to be too much.

Ganking isn’t really that prevalent in the vast expanse of systems that comprise hi sec–it’s typically concentrated in a few places that are well known and thus should be easily avoidable. I’m all for wanting to play solo in peace, and frankly, it’s pretty easy to do so. I can’t understand why certain players feel like they should be entitled to play in peace EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME with absolutely no additional preparation.

6 Likes

I get that, but people are going to do what people are going to do. We can’t say “if people would just do this” and consider the problem solved.

Maybe a better level of engagement for pve would help and give people incentives to move around more. Maybe simply a bonus to mining in systems that haven’t been mined?

In any case player retention should be a focus.

I’m just offering a different perspective, my own perspective, as I realize we hold opposing opinions on this topic; but you’ve posted your opinion and request, publicly and I wish to state, publicly, I disagree.

I like suicide ganking in highsec. It gives highsec an element of danger that without, without suicide ganking, and war decs, imo, highsec would just be boring. Boring.

With no chance for adventure, or misadventure, when absolutely nothing happens, for a subscriber such as myself, there is no reason to play.

As to the “highsec” should be safe argument put forth by many, I’m just going to quote something @Bjorn_Tyrson posted in this thread: Securing High Security Space - #6 by Lily_Inkura

This is the best explanation I’ve read regarding the differences between high/low/null sec. If I could, I’d have that quote plastered all over the new player experience. I think that quote would help manage new player expectations, a lot.

So, Sir, with respect, I disagree with your position, and I want my voice to be heard as well.

7 Likes

Player retention doesn’t seem to go up, despite of high-sec getting safer. There are less gankers and most of the old vets are gone. Correlation?

Laziness isn’t going to be a good argument here. You’d think that the initiation should have given that hint. You want more safety? Find it. And you arerewarded for mining in systems that have been untouched for a while.

2 Likes

I agree for the most part, but I’m not sure that this particular issue impacts player retention as much as some people think. It seems to me that if retention really is the issue it seems to be, CCP should be expanding their data gathering in relation to the problem. Sending a survey out to people who cancel their Omega subscriptions isn’t enough.

Maybe CCP should send out a survey to all player accounts who haven’t logged in for 30+ days, or something similar. If I’m CCP, and I’m really concerned about the retention issue, I’d want better information as to why people really quit. From a purely business perspective, I have to believe they’re working on it, but sometimes it just seems like they’re throwing up their hands saying “why no retentionz?”

1 Like

That and push out more free skill points.

1 Like