How to get more people to play eve

Then wtf are you doing here playing and talking with people ? Go and play your single player games and stop breaking the balls of those simply not to your taste.

2 Likes

Fix HS and stop pepeol from gankingā€¦ Make new missions, come up with new gamplay like you did with abyse (i like it) and stop only have Null sec as an prioritize.

1 Like

It ainā€™t broken, ganking is an intended playstyle.

5.3 SOME PLAYER JUST SHOT ME; IS THAT ALLOWED?
In EVE Online, any player may attack any other player if they choose to, no
matter where they happen to be. This is because EVE Online is essentially
a PvP (Player versus Player) game at its core. If the other pilot had no right
to attack you then CONCORD will track him down and punish him for his
crimes, so long as the attack took place in high security space.

1 Like

Argox

Your objective is good, but your presentation is not.

Note: all gaming terms in this post are the ā€œreal gamer worldā€ versions, not the ā€œEVE bittervet cryptospeechā€ redefined versions.

EVE certainly needs more zones where griefing isnā€™t practical.

But EVE is what it is - it attracts and keeps griefers, and it repels PvPers who like balanced combat. EVEā€™s forums also have the lowest level of reality of any game on the planet, so part of ā€œEVE is what it isā€ has to include special communication techniques - delusions and denial are infectious if youā€™re not careful :slight_smile:

• Ganking canā€™t be removed from EVE
  • Many kinds of griefing canā€™t be removed from EVE. If you identify a special case, you need to specify it carefully.
  • HS needs tuning (CCP has been very careless about some important things), but it doesnā€™t need ā€œfixingā€. If you identify a useful improvement, specify it carefully

And FWIW: some bittervets make sense sometimes, but very few are worth engaging with. Spend your time on figuring out why the changes you want are good for CCP, and on presenting the suggestions and justifications clearly and concisely.

2 Likes

We will not tolerate you intolerate haters.

Heh ā€¦

I feel sarcasm but my level of English is not enough to see through :rofl:

CCP is too far in the gutter at this point. They have done nothing but piss on their loyal customers for years, the sub count is a fraction of what it was and theres no realistic way to get those, previously loyal, customers back. The game doesnā€™t (and will never) lend itself to the casual marketplace.

CCP had one chance, blew it big time, now theyā€™re cashing this game out and itā€™s obvious. Their current focus is stringing along what little is left of their playerbase, for as long as possible.

Hate to be that guy but this is the reality.

There are things they could do to potentially stabilize the playerbase however. Then from there attract the small hard-core market that does exist but CCP is far too disconnected from understanding how their game actually functions, and what their target market actually is, to be able to accomplish thisā€¦

3 Likes

Reading back over my post I noticed that I didnā€™t offer anything that would actually get more people to play the game so hereā€™s some ideas.

I think moving away from bounties and towards loot/salvage as rewards for PvE has a MASSIVE list of benefits.

A: it reduces inflation by decreasing the amount of raw isk being generated which in turn lowers the cost of plex (or at least helps to stabalize it) and the bar for entry into the realm of Omega for newbros.

B: Itā€™s one of the best content drivers there is. Nothing gets a PvEer fired up like being robbed.

C: It gives new-bros an entry level profession and a way to get into PvP oriented gameplay

Null-sec needs to be shaken up really hard. The absence of quality PvP and the existence of the blue doughnut makes players with way too much isk and combat resources proliferate into every other space. Thatā€™s part of the reason Low-Sec is so cancerous right now and a lot of the reason CCP feels the need to dumpster High-Sec mechanics used by content creators (this logi change is going to drive me and most of my friends to suicide ganking when we previously were suspect baiters).

CCP in general needs to stop removing content drivers from High-Sec. This is a PvP game, PvP oriented players are the only ones that tend to stick around. When a new-bro who is a good fit for that mantra joins, finds nothing fun to do in High-Sec then goes to Low and gets WTF WRECKED itā€™s a huge turnoff.

Professions that by nature offer little to no potential content for other players need to go. For instance: Incursions, Abyssal sites (even the PvP is lackluster at best) and again, Null-Sec umbrella PvE.

The reason this game has tanked so hard is because of CCPs continued efforts to stifle emergent and non-consensual PvP gameplay.

@Bladewise yeah I think things are too far gone really to bring back a lot of older players like myself despite I think most of us still having an interest in the game. So many long standing people quit playing in approx. 2015 that could have been retained as customers most of them having played through the bulk of 2009 to 2015 with some starting even earlier.

While some of the changes have managed to stall the decline the game could have easily had 40-50% higher active player counts.

I occasionally login as an alpha - look sadly at the 100s of ships over my accounts that would need fundamental changes to their fits to fly again, notice that quite a few of the newer ships, etc. fly in the face of the justifications used to change the ships I used to fly to ā€œrebalanceā€ them! and log out again.

To put some perspective on it the period I played from 2009 to 2015 I probably sent around Ā£6000 CCPā€™s way so I certainly didnā€™t quit trivially in 2015 - Iā€™ve not even spent 1/10th of that on any other single game.

There may be an argument for reducing bounties on NPC rats to some degree to reduce excess ISK from entering the game, but I donā€™t think eliminating it entirely would make much sense. Itā€™s not clear from your post whether you are proposing reducing bounties or eliminating them.

I believe that NPC bounties are the biggest and primary ISK source in the game, unless Iā€™m forgetting something. The next two are mission rewards and ship insurance payouts, and I donā€™t know which is larger out of those two. After that Iā€™m having trouble thinking of any other ISK sources.

The main ISK sinks are skillbook costs, trading fees, contract fees, and manufacturing fees. I donā€™t know how these stack up. There are probably some other fees Iā€™m forgetting. (Corp, alliance, or sovereignty related? My corp doesnā€™t have any significant fees in these areas on an ongoing basis, so I have trouble remembering.)

If NPC bounties were completely eliminated, I think that would create the opposite imbalance: too much going into sinks. Perhaps there is an intermediate bounty level that would reduce PLEX inflation.

However, itā€™s not entirely clear to me that there is a significant inflation problem. PLEX may be trending up, but the same is not true for ship or module costs. Some modules may have occasional spikes, but mineral costs and thus ships are substantially cheaper than they were several years ago. Much of this may be a result of improved ore harvesting rates creating a lot of supply, and some of it could be lower demand if not enough ship destruction is occurring in places like nullsec.

CCP has the raw data that would be needed to determine whether there is an overall ISK oversupply. PLEX prices may be enough to indicate that there is inflation occurring, but if it were widespread I would expect it to show up in prices in at least a few other areas of the EVE economy, such as perhaps some faction and officer modules.

Who are you actually mailing?

@Elena_Laskova
Your posts in this thread have been great! I find people come to the forums looking for a fight like theyā€™re roaming through low-sec. I see posts with a good idea but presented harshly that get jumped on by others. After that, a thread with some good discussion gets locked because two people are fighting. Itā€™s too bad because it means real discussion gets ignored.

I agree with this. People who donā€™t want to be involved with PvP arenā€™t the target audience of the game. One of the unique draws of EVE is the ā€œPvP Everywhereā€ aspect. What I think gives new players a bad idea of the game is that the PvP is often wildly unbalanced.

Hereā€™s my newbro experience. I outfit my T1 frigate with modules I think will get me a kill (while remembering not to fly what I canā€™t afford to lose!). I go out of high-sec and look around for a fight. Iā€™m warped in on by a group of 3 people in T2 cruisers and my ship explodes a few seconds later. Now what did I do wrong? Well I didnā€™t run away!

The ā€œengagement profileā€ of my solo T1 frigate is ridiculously slim and a group of T2 cruisers isnā€™t a target I should engage. So what do I do? Iā€™m forced to spend the majority of my time running away from targets I canā€™t engage with and hope that I end up running into another newbro flying another T1 frigate (and then we both have to hope we donā€™t get attacked by a third-party roaming group) The problem here is that as a new player I donā€™t have a lot of ISK to afford ships with better engagement profiles, and Iā€™m limited in what I can do to generate ISK without losing most of my income to lost ships.

The only solution to this seems to be ā€œJoin a large corp! Theyā€™ll provide you with ships/ISK, youā€™ll be able to fly around null generating ISK on your own while being protected by an army of blue pilots!ā€ For lots of players thatā€™s a fine solution, but for myself Iā€™d much prefer to not have to register myself with a 7,000 member corporation just to play EVE without dying or running all the time.

2 Likes

Small or Novice Faction Warfare plexs. Only certain size ships allowed.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m taking part in right now! Iā€™ve gotten a few fun fights out of it. Unfortunately most of the time FW means I sit in a plex for 10 minutes by myself. I can go into busier FW spaces but Iā€™m still vulnerable to the roaming groups until I get into a plex and even then I can be outnumbered by several enemy frigates.

I havenā€™t been doing it long enough yet to see how things will play out but I hope to get some time in this weekend!

CCP tried that for last 15 years and failed big time, are they smart enough to change something or ā€¦

Topics such as this one are becoming a waste of pixels, rehashing whatā€™s been regurgigated bountifully.

As CCP is unwilling to consider how to properly plug the hole as that would clash with dependancies Iā€™d say that it is about time for people to think outside of the box.

Want more people in eve?

Start making babies!

3 Likes

EVE is not a game, itā€™s a hobby, hobbies are slow and steady. Just take your time putter through it and you will enjoy it better.

Playing since 2003 and no regrets.

1,000 times this.

There are a lot of sub-paying dinosaurs around whoā€™ll tell you that ā€˜old EVE is best EVEā€™, that everything possible has been tried before, none of it worked, subs are the only possible model for EVE, and Alphas are bad for everything.

The actual truth is that EVE is built on a bunch of tired old mechanics that worked well enough in 2003-2008 to build a reputation for the game and get a lot of people ā€˜investedā€™ in it so they continue to pay for years. Many of those mechanics are still quite effective at getting people to play and pay - because EVE is very competitive in all aspects, and people like to compete, and some people donā€™t mind paying real $$ for an ā€˜edgeā€™ when they compete. These people have funded EVE for 15+ years.

In the current marketplace, that model is becoming increasingly niche. EVEā€™s constantly declining numbers for almost 6 years now show it. EVE isnā€™t mortally wounded yet, as there are still those who will pay to enhance their competitivenessā€¦ but it is not very healthy either.

As others have said, EVE needs a better NPE. Inception was sort of okay, but too buggy. The current one is so utterly lame as to barely even qualify as a game intro. Then the problem becomes, ā€œwhat are we introducing the player of today to?ā€

And thatā€™s where Fluffy Moeā€™s comment strikes home. EVE needs vast overhauls. There are so many broken issues in EVE right now, and so many major disconnects with the process of getting new players in the door, getting them to play longer than a week, getting them to spend at least a couple dollars to get past the ā€œIā€™ll only play if itā€™s freeā€ barrier, and then convert them to longer term playing/paying customers.

EVE pretty much completely lacks this ā€˜player progressionā€™ process, and even lacks much to sell any new players beyond subs, Plex, skins and skills. That is bad game design, bad player management, and bad cash shop/game revenue design.

The problem is, so long as a couple hundred thousand people are subbed and paying CCP $12/month (ish)ā€¦ CCP is afraid to make those big changes. What if they make a change and screw up? What if they cause yet another player revolt? What if they lose 18,000 monthly subs they canā€™t get back? Worse yet, CCP has demonstrated considerable, hmm, how to sayā€¦ ā€œlack of ability to implement new code without causing major bugs/issues/problemsā€. So they would be correct to be worried if they could even pull major game changes off without bringing the whole thing down.

3 Likes