How to get more people to play eve

Nope. It literally means that you are playing against a person. The implications are more game specific such as in Starcraft or other RTS, you can player against a person (PvP) or player against AI (PvE) or in same games, a bit of both.

Becasue Eve is so vast and complex, it only goes that its “Pv?” status is not an absolute but way more grey than you are claiming. You can be on a L3 Mission and enjoying a PvE experience but then have to deal with a loot jumper and it becomes PvP and PvE. Many things are like that in Eve so to claim that " * EVE is a PVE game" is well, just wrong. You are clearly pushing the same agenda as Nuuri Naarian are are trying to force yuor version of a definition on us when in reality, even the “dictionary” is against you.

If you didn’t only deal in absolutes you might have a better chance…

1 Like

Runa

You’re just repeating the EVE fantasy. It’s nothing real.

PvP as an MMO term existed before EVE, and has a consistent meaning outside EVE.

It does not mean “competitive” in the wider gaming world. It isn’t applied to e.g. the equivalent of staying permanently in Jita trading. Every longer-term EVE player knows this too.

Interestingly, EVE’s non-standard use of the term usually only comes up in the forum when a group is trying to shut down a sub-thread they find uncomfortable. Crypto-speech is never intended to more effectively convey the truth /lol.

Here is how DC Universe defines PvP and PvE…pretty clearly too.

In DC Universe Online (and many other online games), the terms or ‘labels’ PVE and PVP are used regularly to describe the type of game environment a player is participating in. PVE stands for 'Player vs. Environment", while PVP stands for ‘Player vs. Player’.

In PVE environments, players work against non-player characters/monsters, or NPC’s to accomplish tasks. PVE worlds do not have public or open-world ‘player vs. player’ combat, but may have specific areas or encounters where PVP combat might occur. DC has Legends PVP and Arena PVP; these scenarios can be accessed from the ‘On Duty’ tab on an ‘on-demand’ basis.

In PVP worlds, players still work against the same types of NPC combatants and encounters that PVE players do, but are also subject to attack from other players anywhere in the open world.

I never once used the word “competitive” now did I…

You’re just repeating your fantasy. It’s nothing real.

Don’t be a clown. if you want to repeat my words or ideas, just quote the whole post and say you agree.

“Clown”? Wow…so brave to call others names when safely hidden behind a keyboard.

And no I don’t agree…

It kinda like defining the Olympics as PVE, the athletes are working against an environment ergo it is PVE.

The funny thing is that people that try to press on needed changes get the same reaction like me…“We don’t need changes,all is well”

You know,i was not really convinced that i’m right 'till i saw this happen to others…could really have been a problem of me and my attiutude,but in the light of this it’s obvious that the bittervets are the real problem this game has…

Personally, I find the strong fixation on semantics present on these forums much more interesting. So many words have been spilt here not arguing over spaceships, but over word choice and word meanings. Word use is fluid, contextual and milieu-specific and while an interesting phenomenon when considered on its own, isn’t generally important, or even relevant for discussing the actual game. Rather semantics is often just a refuge, or weapon, for those interested in playing rhetorical games rather than actually discussing the Eve Online.

Eve"s open sandbox can be described as PvP, competitive PvE, or PvE on a full-time PvP server. Anyone who looks at the game understands the basic idea and design of the game and there is no real misunderstanding that Eve Online is some sort of virtual world project where resources are gathered in a competitive environment where other players can always interact with you while you are in that environment (in space) including by exploding, or trying to explode you.

New Eden is full of entities, both controlled by other humans as well as a algorithms, and resources you can collect. But it is all in a backdrop of a virtual world where the other players can influence the shared universe just as you, and can influence you and your gameplay with varying degrees of directness. No one disagrees with this. There are details and edge cases that might merit discussion, but the overall game is just this. Arguing over what to call this is a waste of time.

And this isn’t going to change now. Eve is far too established on this trajectory to pivot now and become something else for any reason, let alone because of people playing rhetorical games or redefining words. Call it what you want, what Eve offers and how it works is clear to anyone that looks.

4 Likes

Omnathious

Note sure, but I think you’re repeating the false equivalence that underpins EVE’s “mining is PvP” claim.

As far as everyone outside EVE is concerned, competitive PvE is still PvE. The EVE fantasy is that competition implies PvP.

But why do EVE players feel the need to do this?
Organized PR to make EVE seem more attractive to new players? Plausible, but EVE as always treated new players badly, so it seems unlikely.

That’s because there are very few games that have a near 100% player driven economy like EVE does, we have NPCs that sell a very limited amount of things( blueprints, skill books, etc) other than that it’s all player generated and player sold.

This depends on your definition of “new player” 3 months into playing EVE the Corp I was in got war decced.
Was I a new player still?

…competitive PvE is still PvE

…unless there are humans involved and then it’s vs a player…as in PvP. It’s who you are against, not what you are doing that is important.

X4 is strictly a PvE game and there are no other humans involved; maybe that is the game you should be playing. No?

Eve is no pvp game at least not more,otherwise we wouldn’t have this discussion…there are way more factions and playstyles in this game that just have enough of the favouring of PVP…

The pure pvp time is over and what we witness are the last twitches of this playstyle…they try to defend their status with claws and teeth but they will be caught by the reality sooner or later…sooner will be by ccp(maybe not) but later Pearl abyss will act if the numbers are not what they expect…whatever… there WILL be a change regardless what the bittervets feel about it…

Pedro

A nice accurate post. And I agree that it’'s too late to make major changes in the way EVE works.

But that’s not what the “cryptospeech” posts are for.

People here have a nasty (and very long-standing) habit of using alternative definitions of words to shut down discussions. It’s especially prevalent in discussions involving this kind of topic - i.e. improving the game in ways that would encourage new players to try EVE, or make them more likely to stay.

I can’t think of a worse set of topics for such destructive techniques.

BTW - the “heart” I gave your post isn’t ironic/sarcastic. It’s well written and accurate as usual, and (IMO) it’s useful.

Is it better to change the game to get new players by sacrificing the game they believed they were playing?

EVE has a reputation of being a hardcore PVP game on the internet with losses that can be equated to real life money.

People will read articles like this and get intrigued about eve.

You are missing the point…it doesn’t matter how you feel about the current status of Eve but rather what you answer to the question “If your opponent a human or a computer?” that matters.

there WILL be a change regardless

Of course…still wont change the fact that Eve is PvP…

Well that depends on the number pearl abyss will get…their profit,their game,their changes…

Correct and guess about what they will do is just that…guessing.

They will change the game to the status sucessful games handle their things or they will close it if they are not satisfied with the income and the effort is too big to change it…it’s really simple to get this…no rocket science :slight_smile:

All they wanted to buy from ccp is knowledge…this game is irrelevant…

Some people should really get that they are irrelevant too…

Omnathious

That’s distraction/diversion again. Why?

Lots of people take a quick look at EVE but very few of them stay. Since retention is obviously the issue, the constructive part of this forum topic focuses on retention rather than PR and advertising.

Improvement means change. But improvement aimed at new players doesn’t necessarily require major changes to the game as a whole. Every post that, directly or indirectly, suggests otherwise is destructive. Of course in a few cases it’s an honest mistake, but mostly not.

Vets should be using their experience to help develop ideas that might improve new player retention into practical suggestions. Not using their highly-evolved collection of “dirty tricks” to block the discussion.