How to get more people to play eve

Pedro
Iiked your post (as usual) and agree with most of it. Including the opening part of the last section (quoted above).

I mostly agree with the second part (I added a blank line mid-sentence to separate them), but there’s an assumption there I think is quite dangerous: that new players, and “everyone” who advocates for them, wants an unreasonable level of safety for new players and/or the game as a whole.
:
:
New players ask for mitigation of obviously pointless annoyances. They’re new to EVE, so they’re not good at making suggestions. But even if they ask for a “safe bubble”, what they need, and what most would happily accept, is a reasonable chance to learn the game.

Instead they’re exposed to competition for everything, including resources. And it’s always competition from players who are more experienced, ISK-richer, better equipped, with better support from other players.

EVE is ridiculously difficult for un-boosted new players. The game is much harder for them to play than it is for experienced players.

They don’t need safety, and probably wouldn’t even ask for it if they knew the right words. But they, far more than vets, are mislead by EVE cryptospeech and the equivocation used against them (sometimes unconsciously I think, but it’s still a very nasty trick).

They say “protection from unwanted PvP” because they’ve started to believe the lies (“everything is PvP” /lol). What they need is a level of competition consistent with their rookie levels of knowledge, experience, skill, SP, income, equipment, wealth, and in-game social connections.

They need a bubble, but it doesn’t need to be safe as such. Just as level a playing field as vets face in EVE. Which, in 2019, is still unnecessarily complicated, but it’s low risk, low-combat, and not particularly complex.

4 Likes

Cool story bro.

Funny how when things didn’t go their way, your buddies ran crying from the game and blamed CCP for everything but didn’t try to change themselves. Yet when CCP swings the pendulum the other way, oh look, we’re still here; WE know that you need to adapt to change and not feel entitled to always getting your way.

You are right, it’s not going back the the old days…and those stupid lazy greedy miners will still die at CODE’s and other’s hand…those folks who actually love the game, didn’t run.

Entitlement in gaming ruins games…adapt, die or go play X4.

1 Like

Insult is all you can offer mate, keep crying and whining about it because all I see is players like you going on about nerfs that are consequences.

Actually they did, they left as their content dried up.

Whining? LOL…typical.

EDIT as you edited yours…

Yep…everyone left…game is dying…wa wa wa…

Yes you are whining, and being insulting because that is all you have left.

Sure sport…I’m sorry I hurt your feelings.

Guys!

1 Like

Sorry…just sick of the entitlement in this thread.

My feelings are not hurt, because when someone like you gets insulting I take that as a compliment. When I joined in 2009 I was reading C&P avidly and really enjoyed Psychotic Monk’s stories, and where is he now?

He left, because he didn’t listen. I warned the whole BU community about them overdoing their awoxing, safaris, reserve safaris. They didn’t listen. Then CCP shat into their cup … rightfully so, actually.

2 Likes

Oh look, more anecdotal evidence…

…again…

Cool story bro…

What’s your point?

It didn’t work. That is the point: safety doesn’t drive activity in the sandbox. Deleting interactions doesn’t drive activity in the sandbox. New game play does.

Nerfing gankers or nerfing miners isn’t going to turn around our descent into stagnation.

+1

There needs to be more forms of new player appropriate competition and cooperation to offer up meaningful and interesting gaming experiences for newer, small group, and casual players. That doesn’t come by smothering everyone in more safety though, often that safety just makes things more worse and benefits the established veteran more.

CCP has made some half-hearted efforts in that direction, but Eve still does a terrible at integrating new entrants or offering them a place to play suitable for their capabilities or interests.

6 Likes

I am intrigued though, so @Runa_Yamaguchi you are obviously a recent FW farming forum posting alt, but did you enjoy the period I alluded to or not, where you even around to enjoy it, partake of it.

I think at that time I was only mining and doing mining/industry/PI in Lonetrek. I started a new toon after that in Essence to RP a LS miner and what I saw(huge AFK fleets) there pushed me to CODE…who I joined and slaughtered many sheep…

My active CODE days were July 2016 to about the same of 2017…now I just support CODE here, verbally in game and with my ISK.

And no, I’m not “a recent FW farming forum posting alt”…

Actually that was a re-balance pass and perhaps some could argue that it was too far in one direction, however many people do not use fully tanked skiffs, so I think it is about right.

And what interactions are you talking about, the can flipping one I mentioned, that was not a deletion, it was an adjustment, which ended the lock in to one v one. It stills exists.

New game play. Well it is there at times, like moon mining in 0.5’s people do fight over them. I wish CCP would do something about making people go suspect who mine there and do not have docking rights, though I would think one would have to give it a suitable time delay so people don’t have it too easy.

The stagnation has already happened. I can’t help but wonder how the game would be if they had correctly balanced the mining ships at the time of the catalyst ganker buff.

wut??

Sheeple, lol. I have no issues with you blowing up stuff, and you obviously had a good time. But your active CODE period was after the period I am referring to which makes your emotive response interesting.

But if you were around in that period you had a great time blowing up stuff, I don’t think you would regret it one bit. If you did not enjoy that period I could see why you would be upset as it is now.

It was a buff to ganking, I just get amused doing that because Kusion on the WIS podcast said that there was never any buffs to ganking. Which is kinda odd because that is one and in any case when do you actually buff emergent game play specifically. Anyway just my amusement at that comment about there never being any buffs to ganking that I often see.

Thanks for that, I enjoyed reading his stories and even saw him in action once with a corp in Pirate Nation accepting him which was hilarious to Fawlty7 and myself. But I could see it was having a very negative impact on hisec corps who turtled up and stopped recruiting.

Man, someone here starts reminding me of Salvos.

Anyhow, you’re all wrong. I say so.

There. Deal with it.

*cough*
*HATCHOO* :sneezing_face:

I’m sick. :mask: :frowning:

1 Like