I gave EVE a try --cannot recommend to new players

Not shabby at all after 10 days of hard time in the jungle, I’d give you a score of 5.5/10 on these topics.
1 ) yep, for tech 1 ; 2) not really, you should use the map to see what’s going on ; 3) agreed ; 4) your food pyramid is upside down, but okay ; 5) absolutely - at least if you mean "spend $ to buy PLEX to sell for ISK to replace the lost ship - the game would take the money and spit you out again. Also wrong if you mean to pass on subscription because that does make a huge difference; 6) see point 2) or use a hisec/nullsec wh connection …

As to your thoughts on joining a corp, it all depends which one you join, how the group functions. But if one functions - and plenty do - you will finally understand EvE.

Reading the map helps a lot… And the game isn’t about “start your career as a space miner, pretend there is only asteroids and no people flying around with weapons”, it has pvp everywhere but the starter/career/SoE epic arc systems. That, btw, is one of the important reasons to join a corporation.

Plenty of new players engage in hisec pvp, it’s not griefing, it’s proper to this game.

True, it’s a game where you can (have to) build up for many years. I’m pretty sure that is the conclusion of many published reviews. Perhaps the upcoming smartphone version of EvE will be more suited to the “casual” gamer ?

3 Likes

You can play EVE in a casual way just fine. But “casual” is not the same as “uninformed and repeating dumb choices”. You can casually put a bit of thought into what you’re doing and not run in to any of the issues the OP ran in to, or perhaps only once and then adapt.

7 Likes

Fully agree with you. Casual in this context is more like “oh, look, this website or service lists all sorts of games we can download straight from here. Let’s try a few”. There is a major influx of alpha’s who have no clue as to what EvE is, haven’t read a single thing about it and don’t plan to get themselves informed. They only hit the download button and then get lost and disinterested because of different (uninformed) expectations. This tendency is even reflected in most of the questions in the rookie help channel. Our UI, to name one thing, is not of the “casual” type. That is of course not the target audience for a game like EvE Online (and a major driver in low retention, I would say).

I have even more issue with the “cannot recommend to new players” in the title. It’s not because one only likes fastfood that other food is bad for everyone else.

3 Likes

This has partially to do with how CCP markets the game (not at all). Years ago we had trailers of revenge, theft, and faction vs faction. Now we have trailers of kumbaya “everyone vs the trigs”.

It is however fully understandable for a new player to not know what he’s getting in to even if he did put in more effort than one would expect for a random game. Every player goes through this rage “this sucks, fck this” stage unless they’ve been personally guided through it all and guided well.

The REAL point however is that people are lying. They’re not casual, they’re lazy. That’s something very different. The telltale signs are all there:

• new to the game but instantly goes for the least effort requiring play style
  • couldn’t be bothered to move more than 3 jumps from the main trade hub, to mine. Somehow thinking (or rather not thinking at all) that this is a good idea
  • die several times on the same day but don’t change a thing you’re doing

it’s laziness. Not casual.

9 Likes

Is there a sale on tinfoil or something right now?

7 Likes

To be fair the NPE pushes people in that direction, I would hazard a guess a large percentage of new players have little or no idea about the game beyond what the tutorials tell them, or that other players can shoot them in the face.

4 Likes

The NPE has been terrible since forever but it doesn’t specifically push people to mining. They get to do combat, more combat, exploration, trading and industry. Also other MMO’s tutorial is about how to move and attack, that doesn’t stop people from evolving beyond that.

It would certainly HELP if the NPE would be better but they keep having clueless devs do it, devs who don’t play or understand the game they’re working on. That is never going to work. I mean the career tutorial tells newbies to MINE TRITANIUM, quite literally in those words. That’s the level of competence we’re working with.

8 Likes

tin foil hat

9 Likes

I agree with you about the NPE sucking, what I meant by pushing new players towards stuff is that it promotes NPC and environmental interaction over player interaction.

Old school trailers would also help, they used to show “player interaction” with their tales of revenge etc; or even more stuff like “This is Eve” which judging by the parody was one of the best received trailers in a long time.

5 Likes

Correct, go away!

4 Likes

lol, back to the River Fodder with you.

3 Likes

“I am a returning player that is trying EVE out again” would be a more honest answer.
2014/04/15 08:43 is not two months ago. ( https://evewho.com/character/94548348 )

EVE does not try to force people to do anything. You decide your own path. That path will be full of obstacles put in by either CCP or some random players. Your task is to overcome those difficulties either alone or with some friends. Everything in the world is easier with friends as you will discover EVE is a lot like real life. Make sure to learn a lot about the different professions in EVE Online. Yes, mining is a great way to start and make some ISK but don’t get mesmerised by it as there are a lot of different other jobs that will get you ISK and rewards too. And just like in real life, do not put all your eggs in the same basket.

Try and ask eve university for some help at the beginning, you can even join them and leave when you are ready to face the brutal wasteland EVE Online is. But the few friends you will make will be there to help you build your dream while you have to fend off the enemies that will wreck your dream.

7 Likes

He is one of those people who think ingame criminals are bad people IRL.

3 Likes

Well he did nail this one!

6 Likes

Wow, has been a long time seen I saw such a rage quit, but here we go:

I play EVE casually, and it is very very possible to do. Even in a player corp, if you find the correct one.

Also, ganking is allowed by the nature of the game. EVE is a PvP game, so don’t complain about PvP.
The only place where ganking is frowned upon, is in the tutorial systems if you are griefing new players while they are doing their tutorial stuff. After that, sorry, but you are fare game.

Also, why are “criminals” different then other players, they pay the same monthly description as you do. So in the eyes of CCP, you are equal. Just because you don’t like their playstyle, doesn’t mean it is wrong.

Also, there is a very very easy way to get around being suicide ganked in your mining ship.

1. Put a tank on it
  2. Do not mine freaking next door to Jita

Neither of those have much of a time commitment to it.

Please, provide proof when accusing CODE. to be linked to GM. Without proof, you are just crying wolf.

As for when you DC, yeah, your ship will do an emergency warp 1 million km away. So on log in, you will find yourself warping back to your original spot. Nothing to do with CODE or supposed GM involvement, plain old simple game mechanics that work as intended and have worked like that for 17 years.

As for CONCORD, you do know you can manipulate CONCORD presence in the system.

Trig invasions are hard, then again, you are also freaking warned with a big ass pop up the first time you try to jump into a system about it. Don’t blame the game if you are too lazy or dumb to read the pop up and ignore it.

Plenty of new players in Rookie Help who love the game and succeed that proof you wrong. YOU do not like the game and blame the game to not attract any new players, which is incorrect. Just admit it, the game is not the right game for YOU, don’t need to blame the game.

I do not like FPS, doesn’t make me go around blaming that CoD or Battlefield are shitty games.

HAHAHAHA.

I’m in a null-sec corp, and even they are very real life first friendly. If you don’t want to play, don’t play. If you do play, do what ever you want, just be a nice player and assist when you CAN, but it’s never a MUST.

Please, povide me with fact on increased commitment on griefing?

Buying a proper tank for your mining ship costs like 2 minutes more to buy it from market and fit it.
Moving away from freaking Jita (all his losses where in Alikara, 3 jumps from Jita) take what, maybe 30 minutes (one time investment only)

You just cry because you painted a big fat bullseye on your bag and got shot at.
And then blame CCP for painting that bullseye.

Good bye, good riddance.

Now can we get more good, non cry baby newbies instead of noobs like this

10 Likes

It’s all about attitude, there’s a prime example of a newbie, and the response they get, right here.

7 Likes

This.

If you touch the heating element of an oven that is on…you don’t do that again 8 times in a row I hope.

1 Like

Ooh as a NCQA regular, I know.

I have very very fond memories of seeing many new players over the last decade actually make a name for themself and eventually even starting to give advice to newer players themself.

4 Likes

Griefing is a bannable offence and ccp is unlikely to listen to griefers

true CODE. is not a corporation, it is an alliance of Elite Corporations and i wish we were affiliated with the gms i could do with some more T2 BPO.

you mean the veteran players that have played for 16 years or more and shaped the game from the beginning ? i hope ccp is attuned to their wishes although it does not feel like it often. Veterans were new players once and they grew up in a much more hostile and undocumented game wny cant new new players do the same.

9 Likes

Here’s a spaceship, screw you.

Best NPE ever.

11 Likes