[I-RED] Formal Inquiry to Federation Senate

So much to catch up on and respond to…

I’ll start by stating the obvious: It’ll come as no surprise to learn that I support any initiative that seeks to end oppressive Federal policy within Syndicate space.

Yes, I use that word deliberately, because that’s what this is: Oppression.

Federal policy towards the Syndicate is possibly one of the greatest motivators when it comes to the wider independence movement, so let me touch on a few points briefly:

It’s true that vast number of people, proud of their Intaki heritage, live and work happily throughout the Federation. And yes, many appear to fit the cultural stereotype of being more adept at diplomacy and tact than others (whatever would the Federation do without us?), and so are employed by various departments within the Federal government.

But “disloyal kindred”? They were exiled, James. No matter how much the Federation may be unable to truly let them go, they are not Federal citizens. How can they be loyal to a state that is foreign to them?

In another discussion you said:

Not quite as little as some of us would like of course, but as you’re familiar with Vremaja Idama’s work, let me quote a discussion he was involved in, where he shared his personal experiences of the Intaki Uprising, and how some felt… encouraged to be more loyal to the Federation.

Vremaja Idama > We were afraid of those “in power”.
Jon Engel > interesting
Vremaja Idama > Fear is not a way to run any civilisation. It breeds distrust and rebellion.
Jon Engel > I think fear is propagating itself amongs our people again.
Vremaja Idama > The threat of violence cannot bring peace. Only empathy and understanding can bring peace
Jon Engel > Was violenced threatend by those in power to the Intaki?
Vremaja Idama > Never threatened openly. But when our fellow Federation citizens were bombarded, it was not a huge leap of reasoning to believe that any others expressing rebellious attitudes would be similarly dealt with.

How many of those “loyal” Intaki, living and working throughout the Federation are Reborn like Vremja Idama? How many of them too remember the arrests and the reprisals?

We are known for our stoicism, James. How many Intaki continue to hold their tongue not out of loyalty, but out of fear?

But of course, those were the days of President Duvalier and the Ultra-Nationalists. The Federation would never behave like that again. Only… well the I-RED inquiry we’re all discussing here is regarding one of Duvalier’s policies. An Ultra-Nationalist policy, from the darkest days in our peoples’ history, that the Federation government continues to actively enforce to this day.

But not only do they enforce the policy, they attempt to justify it.

I honestly believe this is exaggerated. It’s just too convenient for the Federation to maintain the status quo, both in terms of Syndicate policy, but also for organisations like the FIO and their activities.

The circumstances of the Upwell Consortium’s creation gives clear evidence that those ties are not so strong after all.

Intaki Bank, a corner stone of the Intaki Syndicate, will have been responsible for the funding behind Mordu’s Legion and Arkombine actions against Serpentis, which were key to ORE being free from Serpentis influence.

Chairman Arteu of the Upwell Consortium went on record to say, “The Upwell Consortium board is grateful to now have the opportunity of working with ORE on a sound legal footing, free of the taint of gross criminality, piracy and terrorism that are the marks of the so-called Serpentis Corporation.

But you’re correct, Andreus, it would be somewhat ‘career limiting’ for a Federal Senator to push for policy change towards the Syndicate, when we consider the anti-Syndicate rhetoric that’s been pushed for years. This rhetoric itself should be challenged more, as it encourages wider prejudice towards all Intaki in some quarters, sometimes going so far as to manifest itself as outright discrimination. Solitude is rife with it, for example, but its evident elsewhere too.

To finish, I believe that despite the challenges that will present themselves, the current Federal policy is unacceptable, and it is right to challenge it with the objective of seeing it end as soon as possible.

The normalisation of opportunity within Syndicate space can only be a good thing, and should offer economic alternatives to black/grey market activities that cause the Federation so much discomfort.

11 Likes