I want to love this game, but

I know that at one point EVE University (I think that’s what the corp is called) hosted complete curricula on various aspects of EVE gameplay, including PvP. If that’s still happening, you could find like-minded eager players who want to spar there, perhaps. Or in other corps, I’m sure. Essentially, if you want to spar aikido or what-not, makes sense to go to a dojo, right? :wink:

2 Likes

I dunno man, kinda dishearted at the moment …

Because I really do love everything about this game, it’s so unique.

If I could find someone willing to honor a 1v1 spar with most days, and then go off to do real solo pvp from time to time, would be ideal. I like the sound of Eve uni or even Red vs Blue but I wouldnt want to have to join another corp for this and be restricted, more like, if there is a place or channel where people meet to do casual and consensual pvp ?

Tipa is completely right on shooting first, talking later. People are not after “good fights”. They want fights on their own terms. If you are the one proposing a fight people assume you know their usual fit (like you did) and will back out because you probably have a counter, because the fight will be on your terms.

So you either engage them without asking them or bait them to engage you. That’s how 1v1 fights works.

2 Likes

Just for the record, I DO understand your desire for “consensual PvP” - that’s a term I have used myself, in fact. Unfortunately, in many MMOs you simply won’t find it, unless the game offers some sort of instanced arena sort of facility. Please understand that my own gaming background stems from structured, “formal” if you like, match-based player-vs-player action - my main forte was RTS (as you may have surmised), and it was a test of skill and wits. In MMORPGs, I found one which provided a structured, match-based PvPvE sort of format, along with arena formats. I enjoyed these, because I personally am loath to call some sneaky sadist jumping an unwitting passerby “PvP”, relying almost purely on the element of surprise and the victim’s (NOT “opponent’s”) initiative disadvantage. But here in EVE it is what it is - single combat is a relatively rare thing. Mostly it’s gangs, or fleets. Such is the nature of this beast shrug Except for large-scale tactical engagements, I have little interest in what passes for PvP in EVE - and so I adjust accordingly (some would say “adapt”, but I dislike the over/abuse of the word) and go on with things the way I want to, and do my best to minimize the depredations of sadists whose enjoyment is derived from ruining someone else’s day - and this brings with it its own challenges and restrictions.

If you are looking for “sparring partners”, I can’t help you there, except to suggest maybe posting a non-antagonistic thread hereabouts to that effect, and perhaps some like-minded people will see it.

2 Likes

There is nowhere consensual PvP outside closed groups in EvE. The closest are people honoring 1v1s and duels (they exist, but only trial an error will show). If you want to practice with certain fits, you can try Singularity test server, there is a chat channel for 1v1 duels. Except for a few systems Singularity is PvP by consent only. But of course it’s kind of meaningless as nothing is at stake.

@Duo_Roman

Dont get me wrong, I do very much enjoy the shoot first ask later kind of pvp.

It’s just that often I wish for other kinds of engagements too, more consensual ones and I get very little interest and response from the community so far, and it gets me down because I want to practice my combat management skills in order to respond well to the former kinds of pvp engagements you and Tipa mentioned.

@Tipa_Riot

I tried Singularity too, only pvp people do there is with dreadnought and Battleships.

I asked for a frig pvp and had to wait 45 mins to get someone on the line… so, meh …

You will probably only get those engagements from friends or corpmates.

In my experience , two thirds of PvP is actually catching someone.

I usually refer to it as hunting as that’s the mindset iv found to be the most useful.

6 Likes

This. It’s what keeps me interested in solo PvP. There are the occasional 1v1s good fights, which in my case I remember were the most intense experiences. The last one I “offered” to a miner I failed to gank, because he came back in a combat ship and I stayed. I lost (due to my own mistakes), but I learned something about his and my engagement profil. Was fun. But it’s situational, 9/10 successful hunts end with a gank and you just move on with the loot as reward.

3 Likes

Have you tried issuing challenges in something that is worth losing?

A T1 frig just looks like cheap bait.

1 Like

If you’re in lowsec, null or WH-S you don’t even have to ask someone to start PVP. Just do it.

Point, lock and shoot.

And come to think about it you don’t even have to ask in Hisec either.

2 Likes

The KB is an external site that relays in game kills and deaths, so yes, those red and green spots as you put it are important.
to some corps/alliances they mean everything.
to others, meh.

But yea, those red and greens spots are content and player interaction after reports and they do mean something.
if not you wouldn’t be chasing some green on your boards yourself, or red, it makes no difference.

protip. you can find 1v1 combat in highsec all the time, real easy,

step 1: get in ship.

step 2: undock.

step 3: fly to pirate site.

step 4: grab other persons loot.

step 5: hope they engage.

with the amount of these sites knocking around now it’s not hard to find some action.

now the quality of that action can swing wildly from wow to meh.

but plenty of folks out there getting into fights over the crap they drop.

i just had a look on zkill and found lots of 1v1 highsec fights floating around above said activity.

You said it very succinctly here. You wanted to get better odds… for you. They knew this and declined. Thats not chickening out, its called strategy.

1 Like

Eve PvP

This scene from Goodfellas sums up a lot of the PvP in Eve for me.

@Eternus8lux8lucis

Let’s pretend, on a scale of 3 for instance.

Entering their plex would’ve ammount to 0 for me and 3 for them, with their proximity brawling dps and range advantage.

In that case me not entering said plex also ammounts to “strategy” right ?

However, being in good sport, the fact that Im wanting to log in this game to learn and practice its flight and fighting mechanics, and also the fact Id already been flying around for 40 mins and more and more felt like I was wasting my time.
I gave them and myself the opportunity to interact on more or less equal terms, as well as explaining them who I was, where I came from, and what I was hopefully aiming to achieve.

So, back to scale, providing they had far more powerful ships than I (0.5), omega clones (0.5), superior ship and combat skills (0.5) + experience (0.5), the scale would more or less still be uneven and on their terms: 1 for me, and 2 for them.

Yet, Im still the craven here ?

Sure pal … Sure … :wink:

And btw, I wouldnt be surprised if they were also fully aware of that scale of power, and chose not to go with it because still somehow too insecure with themselves and the situation, or just didn’t give a toss and kept on looking for that sweet 3/0 term in every engagement.

PS: Like I said a few posts above, I see many types of pvp engagements available and possible in Eve, the kind that you are talking about, I do enjoy also, but it was not what I was looking for.
Even explaining this to random people doesn’t seem to change much, and you can just hear them squeeze their buttcheeks every time a +1 local shows up, or a thread like this pops up, and it’s not even any more use trying to talk to them … as if their very lives flying by and exploding in pixelated virtual spaceships depended on it …

It’s become tiring really, I dont mean to antagonize on the whole community at large, since i only do this out of sheer personal annoyance, but, you have to agree that out of all the replies in this thread so far, not even one went as far as proposing me to a 1v1, or to go out of their way to propose something personally. So far Ive only been thrown directions to how I should properly handle “THE” pvp in Eve, or being directed to the next possibly helpful group or individual, or to get trolled on, or to being shown the door, which all in itself goes a long way without saying … as, to the conduct nature of… certain people in this community ?

:japanese_ogre: :wink:

It’s killboards.

Killboards are total cancer.

3 Likes

Public stat tracking in any game is cancer…

5 Likes

I don’t understand what this is.

Neither does EvE.

–Army of Gadgets

2 Likes

Yes, if that was your goal you survived. Its not that you didnt engage nor that they wouldnt take your fights thats the main issue. Its you coming here on the forums to whine about it and call everyone a coward for it.