Imperfect Sensors

DSCAN is too OP to be born with 100% skill in. Cloaked ships should also have impaired sensor ability.

My idea is that DSCAN should be offset at a random wandering angle from the true alignment. The maximum deviation gets reduced to 0 by training skills.

Cloaked ships should have a multiplier to this wandering angle and a non-zero minimum, also have false positives and blindspots appearing in their DSCAN. I think it makes little sense that a system designed to interfere with sensor readings doesn’t impact on their own at all.

And here we go…!

Wandering inaccurate angles immediately make dscan unusable to defensively check gates on all of my characters.

No thanks.

1 Like

Is that a new title - “Guidance Counsellor”? You need a new one: “Stating the Obvious”, lol.

1 Like

The OP’s suggestion seems to be a nothing suggestion.

If I read correctly it’s; Nerf D-Scan, introduce a skill which on training it to V de-nerfs D-Scan entirely.

This means any character which relies on D-Scan will have the skill trained to V and D-Scan will work as it does today.

vOv

I don’t see the point.

5 Likes

“More useless skills to train for 500 Aura.”

1 Like

Not everyone will, and cloaked ships can’t mitigate it entirely. That is the point.

Nah fam

1 Like

What you got against cloaked ships?

Did one hurt you?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a good idea, it’s like CoC sanity, it only gives disadvantages. The counterpart humanity in WoD offers a better view of a good feature.

A good design always offer a trade off.

One possible idea would be: A new skill with basic and advanced, to find cloaked ships on d-scan. The more advanced, the better the precision.

At this point, people are so bored they are just proposing anything to make the game moves forward. I cannot refrain from finding these devs cowards that have no guts to do what needs to be done afraid of their Reddit friends opinions.

Because nobody can be that stupid, they are simply cowards.

Cloaked ships can’t hurt anyone!

(They need to decloak first.)

2 Likes

It’s going to be pretty shitty to have to turn off my cloak just to be able to accurately check a gate with dscan or site or anything when I’m exploring, because I otherwise would be cloaked all the time besides when I’m inside a site.

Is there a good reason to nerf cloaked gameplay like this?

No thanks.

Not at all. My favourite ships to fly are ones that cloak.

I just think from a realism perspective, you throw up a cloak that can 100% block other ships sensors of you, and not have it affect your own sensors.

I also think DSCAN is incredibly powerful, and you get it at the start as powerful as it can ever get.

You can improve your dscan even further with Expedition command bursts which will be strongest in … a covert cloaked ship, the Odysseus.

Cloaking and scanning go hand in hand.

The distance setting on DSCAN would continue to work. You can just make bookmarks to warp to <0.1AU away and check. Or train skills. Also, decloaking in a safespot only for a moment isn’t going to make you vulnerable.

As for the reason, it slows down people tracking down targets, and also makes targets less aware of their surroundings. It adds chaos, and chaos is good?

It makes it much harder to sneak up on someone, making space safer with less conflict and less destruction.

The solution to inaccuraties by the way would not be to approach closer, but to press dscan multiple times to get a more ‘average’ result.

After all if for example dscan always points a bit left of the real target people would learn to aim at the right to get accurate results, so the implementation would need random inaccuracies instead of a consistent offset. This is then ‘solved’ by scanning a gate 5 times instead of once to get a good reading.

I do not think that pressing dscan 5 times to do what I do now with one scan is very engaging or an improvement to the game.

I also still don’t see why cloaked gameplay needs a nerf like this.

1 Like

That’s why I said a wandering random angle, could be 10deg to the left one minute, and 15 deg to the right a few minutes later. Because it wanders, it wouldn’t be easy to know what you got an average of, if you just spam it.

If this had been part of the game from the start, you had knowledge, experience and trained skills for it. Things that give you an advantage over others. Then someone was then calling for its removal and make DSCAN free and perfect for all. How would you react to that?

This just shows you are mathematically inept.

D-Scan which varied by that much is practically useless, why would any spaceship fit it?

Only useless at long range. At shorter range it becomes less and less significant, oh mathematically inept one.

It isn’t about the ships capabilities, it’s also about the pilots interpretations of the readout, i.e. skills.

Yes, that’s how angles usually work.

But if you can’t just scan multiple times and work out the true direction from the errors you are mathematically inept, or the D part of D-scan is so bad it’s useless.