Improving The Foundation - Directx 9 Phase Out

Well, as it happens it has less problems than Win10 on this system…

You are missing the point. It’s not about cost of a Win10 license. It’s about hardware that can run it any decently. And, in the case of laptops, this means the entire system.
BTW 10-15 dollars might be the cost of a Home edition - now, that is real garbage. I have learnt since long ago to use Pro editions only for all of the dozens of Windows boxes I’ve set up.

Sounds like you haven’t seen many architectures out there.

Do I really have to specify that the check box is unchecked in my launcher?

Been there, done that, with a Pro edition even. I had to get back to Win7 to have the thing run properly again - until the native Mac update.

But, all in all, I think all this fuzz about Win7 is somewhat pointless - Win7 SP1 does have DX11, so the issue shouldn’t really be about that.

@CCP_Dopamine

Thanks for the notice.

I’m just a User, not really Tech savvy with computers.

So according to the Dev Blog on Jan 11, 2022, our computers need to meet or exceed these specs.

Minimum System Requirements

OS = Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64-bit
CPU = Dual Core @ 2.0 GHz
RAM = 4 GB or higher
Video = AMD Radeon 5450 or NVIDIA GeForce 420 or better with at least 1024 MB VRAM

I’m pretty sure my computer set up can handle those requirements, just not sure about my Video Card. I’d really appreciate it if somebody can confirm my computer is able to meet the requirement.

OS = WIN 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044)
Processor = Intel(R) Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory = 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version = DirectX 12
Video = GeForce GT 520
Approx. Total Memory = 5056 MB
Display Memory (VRAM) = 969 MB
Shared Memory = 4087 MB

If your computer can run EVE right now in DX11 mode, you should be fine - they aren’t adding more resource-intensive content in January, simply ending the option to use DX9. If your computer fails to run EVE in DX11 mode, you’ll need to submit a Technical support ticket.

1 Like

My computer shows it has DirectX 12 so I’m not worried about that.

My main concern is if my Video Card meets the requirement that goes into effect on Jan 11, 2022.

I think this web site review states it meets the requirement, just not sure due to my computer showing Display Memory (VRAM) = 969 MB

The only spec change they are making is to state DX11-compatible cards are required (by listing the oldest generation of graphics cards that officially support DX11). The VRAM listing is related to the DX11 operating requirements and how cards/droves have their RAM/HDD values displayed at sale vs calculated by a system monitor, and is not a hard-coded minimum value for launching EVE. If you can run the game today with DX11, the forcible shutdown of DX9 compatibility mode in January will not impact you. You’re good to go. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply.

I think my Video Card meets the minimum requirement, guess I’ll know for sure on Jan 11, 2022.

My computer uses DX11, but not the recommended graphics card. It handles most of the graphics well, EXCEPT for the graphics generator for the characters. I have always had to use DX9 to access the character image. Because of the recent changes to the Character Sheet, the graphics for the character cannot be turned off anymore. The whole screen crashes when I try to access the Character Sheet using my machine’s DX11. Therefore, I will not be able to access jump clones, attributes changes, skins, pilot services, home station changes, etc.

a handful of out of band security updates are not support.

your problems with windows 10 are user related, not technology related.

going to repeat, unless your computer is absolutely ancient garbage, windows 10 is going to run better on it than 7 did. yes a 10-12 year old computer is ancient garbage. There is no ‘architecture,’ consideration or excuse to be made. And yes, the 10-15 dollar license is home edition or worse, and personally I would never use anything less than professional, but now you are trying to justify one excuse that didn’t fly with another. How far back do you think they should keep support for? XP? Windows 98?

2 Likes

you should be good. thats a pretty old computer, but if at least you turn the shader down a bit I think it could handle it as long as your graphics card still has drivers available for it. I had an issue with a 2015 laptop where amd stopped producing drivers for it early and ended up having to put it almost in potato mode as the whole thing had to run on CPU, but it looks like nvidia released some drivers for your card in the middle of 2018 that hopefully still work

2 Likes

I just need a new video card, trying to buy a RTX3080 but they are almost impossible to buy because of the SCALPERS/CRYPTO miners out there sucking them all up as soon as they are put on the websites that sell them.

If you currently have a pc that isn’t compliant then there’s a high chance a 3080 would be a waste, if it would even work at all.

If you drag the character sheet onto another window as a separate tab, your character disappears. You can then drag the other window out to have only the character sheet within the old window border, still without character.

If you want you can then drag the character window out to bring it to the original state, or use it like that.

It’s a nice workaround to hide the character (which should have been possible with a simple button like in the old, better UI).

1 Like

No, because if it’s a common problem then it’s definitely already reported and if it makes this problem only on my pc then they won’t deal with it anyway.

This is nonsense, W7 is among the supported OS so it should work on it. :wink:

It’s not about price, I’m staying with W7 intentionally because that’s what I want. Because:

1. W10 is not fully compatible with old DVD games and many of them could stop working for me. For one game, I would lose maybe 5 others!

2. W10 contains dangerous privacy threatening spyware - I hope I never have to use it! (I know about exist hacktools that supposedly block or remove this, but it is not certain whether it works 100 percent and whether the hacked OS is still fully functional).

3. Flipping a PC to another OS is a time-consuming and mentally demanding process that can bring a lot of problems. It always takes me 2-4 weeks to set it up the way I need and a few months to catch all the flaws. I’d have to be crazy to go through this hell voluntarily because of 1 problem app out of 100 working. :wink:

Thank you for your help!
It is amazing how much you have to learn through “lore” from others, rather than from CCP.
I wonder how many other people with DX11 are having problems with the character image generator?
Why did they not at least mention this quick fix?
Then again, I have sent in tickets about the problem and there was no mention of the quick fix. Just referrals back to the original notification page as a “solution”. Approach seems to be don’t know, don’t care, not going to admit we created a complication with the Character Sheet changes, good luck finding a work-around.

Because it’s not a quick fix, it’s more like a bug. :stuck_out_tongue:
(If they would know about it they would probably fix and remove it - for now I’m glad we can hide the character if we want.)

Then why do you mention it on forums to begin with?

Please CCP, give it more 2 months of DX9 support.

Gonna buy another PC by March/2022.

Thx.