Incoming Changes to the Orca

I do most of my mining in HS in an Orca. Solo. As has been said before, it is not overpowered, and indeed is not the optimal mining platform in terms of yield. As @Anderson_Geten has explained so eloquently, its appeal for a solo miner/builder is as a good (not excessively good) versatile ship for industry - it can do ok mining, it can do ok hauling. That is why it is an aspirational ship - I worked hard to get myself to the point where I could a) fly one and b) afford one. Anyone who claims it is begging to be used for AFK mining has clearly never mined with one in HS; as others have said, the most AFK you can get away with is nipping to the toilet or getting something to drink.

Also, personally I do not see swarms of multiboxed Orcas in HS. The whole idea is counter-intuitive. Personally, I think multiboxing is a malaise, but it is permitted. But if you are going to multibox miners, you are going to fly a Fleet fitted Orca for boosts and cargo space (and a bit of secondary drone mining) and fly lots of barges/exhumers, because they are a lot cheaper and give much better yield. Funny old thing, that is exactly what I see in happening in HS when multiboxed fleets strip an ice field in short order.

Why do I fly an Orca? It allows me to mine solo at range from my home station. I will not be competitive with fleets, or locally based exhumers, but it allows me to be functional. I can get some ore or ice, and bring it home in relative (though nowhere near guaranteed) safety. I am a more difficult gank target - but gosh, I care not for that culture and I have invested time and ISK in getting that improved safety. I still have to be damned careful, and alert. I can also fit a cruiser in the Ship Bay, so I can park up the Orca and do something non-mining without having to trog home to change ships. Why is it wrong for HS players to aspire to own something balanced but not overpowered like an Orca, but every new player is pushed towards wanting to aspire to a Titan by the marketing?

In brief:

• Orca as a problematic AFK mining ship - ill informed fantasy.
  • Orca too powerful as a miner - ignorance.
  • Orca too difficult to gank - self entitled nonsense from lazy gankers.
  • Orca massive multiboxing problem - if used by multiboxers, usually used as a command ship with lots of exhumers.

So, please, leave my Orca alone. It really is not harming anyone or the game’s economy.

9 Likes