A few years ago i flew HQ sites with TVP and mostly used my Armageddon navy using pulse lasers and sentry drones. I consistently took aggro from Vindis in about every site, every fleet. Though sometimes less than others. This was usually dependent on the skill of particular Vindi pilots and their ships. The best pilots - with near perfect management of their MWD’s and ammo switching. Combined with frequent overheating of their modules were difficult to take aggro from when they got in range, and on the TCRC tower. However!! - very few pilots can fly this well for many hours at a time.(!!!)
I just returned to EVE after a break and i find that my pwnboat is no longer allowed in the largest incursion communities. Even worse - other pulse boats that werent used before and has clearly worse performance than the Armageddon navy (Navy Apoc, Paladin) are allowed and used in relatively great numbers(wtf).
You may doubt my claim so far. But let me show you numbers and points to prove the superiority of pulse lasers and Armageddon navy issue in incursion HQ-sites once and for all.
I made some simple fits in EFT. I wont link them here because they are simple: they all use 4x navy damage mods, 2x6% damage implants, T2 DPS rigs (except the Mach, which kinda needs PG rig for 1400’s.)Vindicator and Armageddon navy use 2x T2 DDU.
Armageddon Navy Issue
917 DPS (Scorch).
1267 DPS (Scorch) to 60km with Curator II’s.
1628 DPS (Conflagration) below 35 km w/Curator II’s.
1325 DPS (Null) to 30 km.
1854 DPS (Void) to 14 km, + 317 with Ogre II’s.
961 DPS (Quake), + 158 with Hammerhead II’s.
1187 DPS (Gleam), + 158 with Hammerhead II’s.
The turret ranges will vary slightly from this depending on how many tracking computers or tracking enhancers are used. But this is roughly accurate.
So lets make a double fleet comparison with 31 turret ships in both fleets for the total numbers:
- 3 Machariel 2883 turret DPS + 475 Hammerhead II DPS
- 6 Nightmare 7122 turret DPS + 948 Hammerhead II DPS
- 22 Vindicator 40,788 turret DPS + 6974 Ogre II DPS
= Total 10005 long range DPS
= Max DPS: 59,190 (to 14km)
- 31 Armageddon navy issue
- 28427 DPS long range (no drones)
- 39227 DPS to 60km
- 50,468 Max DPS (to 35km)
(This is all for illustrative purposes. A couple of webbing Vindis are probably needed.)
Anyways, allready on paper we see the superiority of the Armageddon navy issue. Still, maybe you are thinking: “Idiot, the Vindi fleet has higher max DPS!” Or that i am wrong in some other way. Anyways, there is more.
First, it is the ability to field 5 sentry drones that puts the Armageddon navy ahead of the Nightmare and the Paladin here. Notice how this wonderful fleet above can put nearly 40k dps to 60km. That is the definition of blapping - and only sentry drones can be used for blapping. (You dont blap with medium drones.)
I have tested all three of these ships. With pulse lasers - one tracking computer or enhancer really is enough for HQ’s. Only unwebbed frigates are difficult to track - The bonus of the NM will not fix this. In other words the tracking bonus of the NM is not enough to compensate for no sentry drones.
The next part is probably the most important part of this post and sort of a TL;DR:
- All the Armageddons will be firing constantly at either close or long range targets in whatever HQ-site they are in. Instant application, no reload time. This means the paper DPS above will be more consistent in the Armageddon fleet than the other.
- Pulse lasers dont have to fly nearly as far, or make turns, or anchor up, like the Vindis. They fly straight, stop when the Vindis have to burn twice as long, deploy sentrys.
- The fleets using medium and heavy drones only apply that DPS on the towers. The Armageddon applies it reliably on most of the rats too. Even more total DPS loss for the other fleet.
- No other HQ fleet comp can both snipe and do close range DPS as good as the Armageddon Navy.
- No split fleet Sniper/DPS roles means the fleet dont have to wait for snipers to clear the area.
- Keeping it simple is a huge advantage when setting up a fleet for a lot of people. You need too many Vindicators (who can precision fly and are somewhat skilled, and not sleeping). You need enough snipers. One ship cannot do what the other can. Armageddon navy can bring consistency to these things that arent always consistent. This is perhaps even more important now than before due to the seemingly shrinking community.
- The number of Vindicators i used in the example rarely happens. (If ever). However, when you only need one ship type, you could get 31 easily.
IF IT IS SO GOOD WHY HAVE NO ONE USED IT BEFORE??: I believe the current (and long time) incursion HQ shiny doctrines are NOT something that came from actual testing of diffrent doctrines, but something natural that evolved as a result of early incursion fleets being slow and bad - Then players that were willing to invest more in their ships (including buying more expensive pirate ships) naturally outperformed the bad ones. It was then assumed that those ships combined, were the most effective.
As “proof” of this - we have the shitty Machariel. A speedboat that is good at level 4 mission blitzing. And thats pretty much it. It could never beat the Nightmare, or lasers in general, yet it is still accepted and even applauded in fleets. Because it is “shiny” and looks cool.