Is CCP ever likely to deal with stream sniping?

And how do you propose enforcing it? It’s the easiest thing in the world to log into Twitch from an unrelated account/device, get the intel and gank. How would you differentiate between a stream snipe and an unrelated kill?

More importantly, why would you do it? If someone streams EVE, I assume they know what kind of game they’re playing. If they quit over getting stream sniped, they didn’t really internalize the “taking calculated risks” part of EVE. If they created the illusion that it’s a game in which you can peacefully do your own thing, that would be misguiding to their own viewers. If you stream, either take precautions (delay, hide system name) or embrace the added danger. If you don’t want to get sniped, don’t stream.

This whole thing reads as another tiresome “I got blown up and I didn’t like it, CCP ban ganking pls” post masked under the standard pearl clutching about new player retention except in this case, it’s about streamers.

4 Likes

It says a lot that Defi Nattobetakenseriously isn’t concerned about the streamer calling me a “b” - which actually is against the EULA of both EvE and Twitch.

I won’t report it though.

I’d prefer the manchild abuse me, rather than take it out on his household.

6 Likes

Streamers want attention, so they get attention. If you can’t, or refuse to, deal with the competitive pvp nature of EVE then you are playing the wrong game. Hanging in hs space, not paying attention to local, not have an escape plan and (in case of Hateless) bragging about how many billions you’re making with your alt army with zero effort is going to attract unwanted attention.

How likely you are to become a target depends on what you’re flying but also, very much, on your attitude. Some streamers aren’t touched at all (for the most part) and some attract trouble all the time.

4 Likes

So you want them to stream something that is not a basic and core gameplay principle of EVE? Then why are they streaming EVE?

How about this: Since these streamers have a community, they should involve that community in EVE and their streams. Have some of the more senior members of the community be on grid with the streamer when they mine and in ships that can support them, like Logi, ECM, or dps ships. That would actually be really beneficial for EVE.

Their streams are pointless and useless because they will not bring new players to EVE. The streams actually involving the players in the game, teaching them how to play properly and giving them a reason to play – That is beneficial for EVE and would make streamers assets for the game instead of freeloaders. Coincidentally, this involvement of their community would also remove the need for special rules and safeties for the streamers. What a happy coincidence, right?

4 Likes

Omg that is so charitable of you. He should thank you, really.
Plus the value of his stream has gone up. It’s a good lesson in situational awareness in the New Eden.
I figure he owes you a lot. The least he could do is buy a Mining License.

~Fifie can’t believe the gall on that player.

2 Likes

You stream your game in an MMO sandbox, you accept the consequences.

Just like undocking, doing so means you consent to the possibility that you are a target for everyone.

No special treatment.

How about they go after input-broadcasters first? Yeah?? Something that actually asymmetrically penalizes every other player in the game?

They know who they are. But they pay subs (probably PLEX from loot), so CCP ignores it.

Stream sniping is merely using intel to your advantage. Quit putting streamers on some sort of pedestal as if they are superior to anyone in the game.

4 Likes

Are you actually suggesting that someone who was watching an Eve streamer on Twitch and goes to kill that ship should be punished by Twitch and/or CCP???

:clown_face:

Pro-tip, buddy. You don’t even need to have a Twitch account to watch anything on Twitch. As if Twitch has the right to know Eve Online player information and CCP should have access to who is viewing a Twitch stream.

Do people actually think this way? Is this real?? This has to be ChatGPT or something. Can’t be a legitimate post.

12 Likes

well, if you watch the video he deserved to be ganked.

no local, no dscan, no mining permit. All these warrant a decomission

4 Likes

Sounds like a streamer issue not a ccp issue.

Just have it delayed streaming but around 30 or more minutes

2 Likes

One the one hand, platform rules should be enforced.

On the other hand, ■■■■ streamers. Bunch of entitled, narcissistic, whiners.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

3 Likes

What’s hilarious is that it is a full 14 seconds before he even realises that gankers have shown up. It is a superb stream demonstrating how not to pay attention.

5 Likes

Maybe if the streamer was good at EVE, he’d have had friends to do a login trap on peeps who try to kill him :smiley:

Whats the point of streaming mining anyway? To draw away new players from EVE?

7 Likes

The problem with carebears, is they dont understand you have to experience loss in order to learn. Instead of embracing difficulty and challenge, they whine and cry and complain, “Oh boohoo hoo, it’s so unfair, oh pity me everyone so mean whinewhinewhine” and then the whiteknights start echoing the usual nonsense about “griefers” and unfortunately it seems some of the devs are naive enough to fall for this metagaming ploy. So they keep dumbing the game down, making it easier for whiny crybabies who don’t want a challenge. Lo and behold, the player count keeps dropping.

7 Likes

I cannot imagine anyone watching someone else mine in Eve.
I would think the gank and all the drama of it would more likely bring more viewers to the stream than just rock-sucking for a couple hours. This streamer needs to set up a bait procurer and on the sly have a bunch of friends in the wings to foil the gank. That would be some entertainment at least.

(edited caus I spel gud)

2 Likes

I watched a procurer mine near Hek.

His stream was on a third monitor, while I ganked miners near Halaima.

What I found interesting was the method he used. Basically, he would start his laser on a rock, and then he would set his timer for 5 minutes. He would then lay down, and you could see his bed in the background. He would try to catch a few minutes of sleep, until the alarm went off. Then he would jump up, and groggily start mining the next rock, before laying down again to get a little more sleep.

Ganking Highsec miners is doing them a FAVOUR, and if CCP really wants to improve player retention, they should just get rid of Highsec entirely. Safe spaces are BORING, and put everyone to sleep.

10 Likes

Sorry @Aiko_Danuja I can picture you watching mining streams for intel reasons.

So you are telling me that this miner has a stream that mostly consisted of them taking a nap, and then once an alarm went off every five or ten minutes they moved to another rock?

They really are dependent on people like you to give them any content at all.

2 Likes

Haha, yes.

It seemed very unhealthy.

2 Likes

He does, but then so does the person stalking his stream to get an easy kill and some salt farming.

Someone somewhere in Iceland many years ago:
Icelander 1 - Wouldnt it be funny to allow all people to blow each other everywhere, for no reason whatsoever?
Icelander 2 - Hahaha, yes, lets make a game about it, in space maybe, like in that old game, Elite!

…and that is how griefing became a foundation stone of EVE Online. Everyone vs Everyone - EvE Online.

4 Likes