Is Hisec ganking good for the game?

Only if the ganker is pretty bad at what they do.

How is that supposed to make any sense?

To gank someone you need to in space, in fact right next to the target.
Anyone trying to ā€œget a scoreā€ with gankers need to first do as the gankers do and put the effort to be in position to get their targets.

The ganks Iā€™ve done there has been pretty much zero possibility for the target or anyone else to do anything before the victim died. People are massively overplaying the efforts of it, some exceptions aside, or they really arenā€™t that good at it.

1 Like

So just out of interest what type of ganks do you take part in

1 Like

Ganking is so easy, Iā€™m surprised more people donā€™t want FREE easy isk. Just gank a few freighters a month and PLEX your accounts.

3 Likes

We used to keep half an eye on the main mission hubs and snag the odd complex/officer fit mission running marauder or T3. There were the odd freighter kills, etc. but I generally didnā€™t bother with those. Personally not something that interested me too much other than when someone was bling enough it would be a headline kill on the killboard that week :s

Oh I see , well thatā€™s the hardest type of gank to stop I can see why you said what you did.

We have tried many times to stop mission gankers , closest we came was to put the ganker off from attacking when we warped in on a gank about to happen and that was luck we got it right.

1 Like

Do you believe its okay for players to have a character they only log in for war with?

Or FW?

Or hunting Asteroes in WHs?

Yes.

It teaches players not to be careless and cultivates a mindset early in the game that will benefit them for all time to come.

2 Likes

Im tempted to agree but they are already punished enough with their sucky attitude and rage at losing what they couldve avoided losing.

FW is one area of the game I donā€™t really have much experience of so youā€™d have to expound on that one.

As I mentioned before ganking is a broad spectrum and some forms of it are more problematic in the angle Iā€™m coming from than others - wars generally the target can evade or fight back as they wish. Hunting in WHs is a whole another dynamic again.

The best way to avoid it generally is to make yourself look less desirable than the next target :s

Not really the question.

Is it ok in your mind to have a PvP character in any other activity that can log off without ā€œcomebackā€ once they have won an engagement?

I still think the crux of our disagreement is that you dont see a gank as an equal competition where its over once the gank is done or eevaded whereas I see it as done, and a new contest will happen next time.

If it was a sport, a loss to a gank is not a cause for a penalty, as it was a nirmal part of the rules. Better luck next game.

All of which is driven by ships blowing up. You drop a structure, you consent to war decs.

You want 100% risk free zone. This ainā€™t it, period. Just quit bro.

2 Likes

Ganking is not a broad spectrum. Thatā€™s the problem with you and your ilk. Lets clear it up right meow.

Ganking = Killed in high sec by peeps, CONCORD response 100%
Low/Null/WH = PvP

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Cry more plz.

1 Like

I do understand the question you are asking for example if someone was saying running a C3 wormhole site in a drake when someone appeared in a T3 killed them then never logged in again. But I donā€™t think the comparison is that simple over the broad spectrum of activities and the broad spectrum of ganking there are circumstances when it is more problematic or more persistent than others. (the chances of someone killing you in a wormhole and then disappearing from the game is relatively low, the chances of someone ganking you in high sec then disappearing is relatively high).

And the sports analogy?

Im just wanting to know why you dont consider it over once the field is clear. I know you think it SHOULD happen, but why? Is there any comparison that you can make that is similar?

There are many different types and approaches to ganking just for example some people actually use the same character over and over on a near daily basis and are active between ganks other players log in a character to gank then log it off again and either never use it again or cycle through alts, etc.

Some spend a lot of time, even social engineering, to get a target where they want them others simply sit on the jita undock with a ship scanner on their tornado.

(And lots of other things in between)

This is a misconception I see sometimes, ā€œfly safeā€ doesnā€™t mean what you imply here that fly in a way it is safe, it is the EVE equivalent of ā€œsafe voyageā€ as in ā€œI wish you a safe voyageā€, ā€œI wish you fly safeā€ or ā€œI wish you a safe flightā€, thus is is a wish of no harm on the pilot and even if they get attacked they come out ā€œunharmedā€ or ā€œsafeā€, wishing to safely passing through the dangers of space. In no way it should imply there is safety let alone guaranteed safety, but I think that should also be a common sense thing to recognize without saying :stuck_out_tongue: though a lot of people fail to realize EVE is not meant to be safe anywhere so thereā€™s that. :bulb:

2 Likes

I think my main argument is missed here that the risk to the ganker is very minimal. They can do it over and over again in T1 ships, at most become a criminal but still able to dock and still able to gank again and again. How is that fair game play? When ships get rebalanced they do this for fairness in the game so that ships are not too op. However ganking is too op for the attackers because there is no real risk anymore. To call hisec - high security is a bit of a play on our intelligence.