Is mining being killing off ...?

FTP = free to play.

Orcas aren’t really used in nullsec in great numbers. They are both too vulnerable, and not as good as a Rorqual, and there is little reason to use one. So the killmails of Orcas is a function of where they are used, because they are the best available mining boosts in highsec. Not elsewhere though.

As to 3 of 4 Rorqual killmails being bots, do you have evidence of that?

1 Like

Mining is not something I would recommend to an alpha newbro as their first career unless they are fine with it. Mining as an alpha is fine for at least financing their low-sec pvp shenanigans… if they stick to just frigates.

Killing miners in highsec I hate to say may be helping them in the long run. CCP does not want you to mine in highsec. Go to null get more isk/hour and be safer… CCP loves nullsec mining.

Gankers are trying to kill it for years… But have you seen what happened to the Pyerite and Isogen prices over the last 2 years? Isogen used to be worth more than 100-130 ISKs once. Pyerite used to be worth 10-13 ISKs. Now Pyerite is less worth than Tritanium and Isogen has become almost worthless when you consider how little it is needed in comparison.

If mining was dying then the mineral prices would all go up and not down, because we’d be running out of minerals. Only the opposite has been happening and we are seeing a flood of two particular minerals pouring into the market.

Mining isn’t being killed off. If “alphas” could fly barges you’d be making only less ISKs than you’re already making with the flooding that’s been ongoing.

Frankly, if you wanted to bring back the “Art of Mining”, then you’d have to start with it by disallowing “alphas” to mine at all.

6 Likes

Barges like the Covetor are extremely efficient particularly when paired with a Foreman ship. It’s not much slower than Hulk-class and for a fraction of the cost.

Whilst an Alpha flying a battleship will still lose 90% of one-one flights vs an omega flying the same ship, you’re asking for something that AFK mines at two-thirds of the efficiency of standard T2 Omega mining.

This is a vastly better suggestion for miners:

1 Like

Only a fraction of the resources are mined in highsec. The prices and stuff is from nullsec, ever since compress it is extremely easy to export ore from nullsec to jita.

It does not matter what ship you use to mine in HighSec (apart from 23/7 AFK Orcas perhaps). You are still poor as dirt. You don’t step up your mining by getting bigger ships, your first step is to go to where the good stuff is. And once you mine that sweet ABC ore with your freinds it is time to get a bigger ship.

1 Like

Eh… currently in a 1.0 system mining approx 38 mil an hour with an Orca and Covetor. That would only increase to 51 mil an hour if I was mining Arkanor, 41 mil for bistot, and 39 for crockite. You get more money from better refining, ability to compress, and having a Rorqual. There would be no point to be in a WH or Null and only make 51 mil an hour. And hardly worth risking an expensive Orca in low for that kinda money.

No. I disagree completely. Keep the barges behind the Plex/Pay wall. If they really want they should have no problem plexing or subbing an account if they really want barges. As someone with 10 alts in barges, its REALLY easy to keep them all plexed and manufacter anything I want and sell the leftovers for profit.

Alpha’s get enough already, going omega should be an active goal.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t start a thread for it, because I know it’s been argued to death, but alpha clones trying to run mining missions get screwed when agents require ice mining.

I started an alpha clone last week, and within 5 days I hit missions that I just can’t run because of the ice limitation.

There are no L1 or L2 ice mining missions, only one L3 ice mining mission, and only two L4 ice mining missions. Alphas will just have to decline those three missions.

Yeah about that. Try choosing a system that has more than one mining agent. When you get locked out by a second ice, switch agents.

But seriously, if you are going L4 mining missions with a Venture. Ore missions will take about 100 minutes solo for the 45,000 m³ volume required. You would be better off doing Courier missions, which would be faster, low attention and more accessible to Alphas. It may require 2 trips at Level 4 and 40,000 m³.

Unless you are doing Thukker? Which is about the best for time vs isk, doing mining missions.

1 Like

#minerlivesmatter

1 Like

Lowsec distribution missions are especially nice. Doing them in a 1600m³ magnate really is a breeze and studying the map helps finding a good spot.

1 Like

Mining is not being killed off its being attacked so that the large Null Space empires can control mining for their empires profit.

If miners would take a stand and go on a strike for a month nothing in Null space would get done and the Null space empires would rush to buy all of the minerals they could fearing the collapse.

Have you looked at the monthly State of the Goonion Eve economic reports?

2 Likes

Just for sake of argument consider that at one point in time I was clearing entire systems of ore by myself and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING changed.

You might want to look into buying a clue.

Ever since the farms and fields nullsec setup was installed they basically do not need your small time mining at all. The products they do need an abundance of are research materials for T2 production, high end moon goo products also for T2 production, wormhole materials for T3s, skill books and blueprints…

The small pittance of materials the “independent” high sec miners produce is a drop in the bucket. It has completely no impact in comparison to the crazies multi-boxing multiple Rorqs out in high value ore anomalies.

1 Like

So it’s just like real life then? lol