Is the corax the worst ship in the game?

inside scram range yeah, you can range control a bit

People have a concept of comparing the corax with other destroyers, but with rockets.
But what they dont know is that the corax is as slow as a maller with 1600mm plates,

So what you can do on other destroyers does not apply to it

1 Like

That’s a good thing. People will just hit approach and believe they win, they don’t.

there was an explosion, a little yellow icon appeared…

i think i levelled up?

2 Likes

lol wtf am i looking at here :slight_smile:

1 Like

That picture is old

IIRC some guy activated a burst ECM on a gate in highsec, fastest way to reach -10 ever.

Also the “leveled up” comment is from a CSM minutes where devs compared new players to players in WoW where they spend their whole time leveling a single character (in this case ship), where the game is so confusing they die and think that being in a pod means they leveled up.

It’s multiple onion layers of meta humour.

1 Like

I liked running the epic arc in a Corax. I used T1 light missiles, T1 shield booster, T1 MWD, and T1 cap booster. Nothing could hit me as I was able to one shot all frigates from 40k range and pick em all off as I kept range with MWD. Only issue was applying enough damage to keep pace with Dagan’s shield boost on the final mission. Fit requires very few skills to train to fly effectively.

2 Likes

In those cases approaching the target will help a lot.

I remember a similar problem I had with my weird cousin Draben Kuvakei in “Vengeance” level 4.
My Drake was never able to kill him until I tried out shorting my distance to him.

The main issue with the Corax is the horrible fitting stats that it has. Fun Fact, The Corax has a whooping 3 more PG than the Kestrel, a well-rounded and balanced missile frigate while somehow having to strap on 3 launchers with that.

I’ve played around with the Corax a lot, it does have a very unique application bonus of 10% per level, instead of 5% per level on every other ship that gets it, which means rage rockets do quite well vs even webbed AB frigates.
It’s slow as ■■■■ so you’re dead if you jump into anything or get kited around, with an AB on it’s actually slower than some AB BCs… it’s that bad.
I think the best strategy is to just go with a no-prop fit in lowsec, the only thing you have going for you in this ship is the fact that everyone knows it’s terrible to you’re likely to get people over-eager to engage you.

[Corax, AB Rockets]

Ballistic Control System II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Mjolnir Rage Rocket x1750
Scourge Rage Rocket x1750
Nova Rage Rocket x1750
Inferno Rage Rocket x1750
Scourge Javelin Rocket x700
Caldari Navy Nova Rocket x700
Nanite Repair Paste x25

This works relatively well but requires almost perfect fitting skills (Shield Upgrades V is a must). Scram kite people at 8-9km. You kick out a surprising amount of DPS and can surprise some brawling destroyers/AFs especially close range options. Against longer range destroyers like the Coercer/Algos and Dragoon it’s going to be a hard fight.

[Corax, Lowsec G]

IFFA Compact Damage Control

Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

Rocket Launcher II, Scourge Rage Rocket

Small Bay Loading Accelerator II

Mjolnir Rage Rocket x1500
Mjolnir Javelin Rocket x750
Scourge Rage Rocket x3000
Nova Rage Rocket x1500
Inferno Rage Rocket x1500
Scourge Javelin Rocket x750
Caldari Navy Inferno Rocket x750
Caldari Navy Mjolnir Rocket x750
Caldari Navy Nova Rocket x750
Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket x1500
Nanite Repair Paste x25

I like to use this in lowsec, and it can potentially be used in nullsec too, not like you’re getting back to a gate in a Corax with prop mod or not.
This requires a 1% CPU implant to fit, but it can outbrawl a lot of destroyers in a small, and surprises people a lot. 10.6k EHP on a Destroyer is really good and it puts out 326 DPS with rage to 12.7km. So AC Thrasher DPS at 12km p. much with a better tank, people heavily underestimate the Corax in lowsec and you can pick up some sweet kills with this unexpectedly powerful brawler with scram kite potential.

If only CCP gave this baby +7 grid so we could copy paste the mwd rocket kestrel fit onto it. :star_struck:

5 Likes

Theres also the dual web hull tank fit for LS as well. Or 10mn dual web.

x7 t2 rocket launchers

x2 compact webs
T2 scram
T2 1mn AB

T2 dcu
T2 bcu

x3 t2 transverse hull rigs

8.2k EHP

10mn is the same (compact 10mn), just with 2 ACRs, EHP falls to 6.5k, but AB speed of 1300m/s cold. Youd be able to control range, but anything that projects would kill you quick.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if the Corax would trade a high slot for a mid slot + some grid and speed.

I think I’ve said everything I can on the matter
+1 pg
+10 cpu
All its problems are fixed.

[Corax, Corax rockets v1d]

Medium Shield Extender II
1MN Civilian Afterburner

Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst II

Zainou ‘Snapshot’ Rockets RD-901
Zainou ‘Deadeye’ Rapid Launch RL-1001
Agency ‘Pyrolancea’ DB5 Dose II

Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket x350

Knocks on 400 dps with two dirt cheap implants worth 800k each and L2 pyrolancea.

Very low ehp though at only 7k and pretty slow with the civvie AB. It actually has so much dps to spare you can ammo swap to other types and still hit 320 dps with any of Em, therm or explosive, making you much more versatile against t2 frigs provided you can guess correctly what the hole is (on hawks its often explosive that’s the hole)

2 Likes

Drop a bcu and put a power core on. Jeesh.

What for? I lose ~20% of my dps in exchange for being slightly faster?

it wont make any material difference to my tank and inside scram range if I’m webbed if be doing like 300m/s anyway.

your suggestion just leaves a lot of unused cpu behind for very little benefit

1 Like

Auxiliary power cores don’t give you speed, brotha. But they can give you that fitting you are asking for in exchange for a low. A corax with more PG is very nasty, I’ll tell you. It might not be the best solo boat, but it is a great ship that is easy to fly and learn in.

1 Like

Go lecture someone else I know what the power core does FFS it lets you fit a t2 afterburner\

jesus christ

1 Like

[Corax, Corax rockets v1g]

Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Agency ‘Pyrolancea’ DB3 Dose I

Right now this is the only corax fit I consider worth using, possibly swap the extender rig for a t2 calefaction rig, but in general, as far optimisation without needing implants goes, this is the optimal corax. A tiny nudge to pg and cpu lets it fit a t2 medium extender but good luck getting that change pushed through

Ain’t bad at all, as long as there are some precision/navy rockets in your cargo :slight_smile: