JihadSwarm Declares WAR on Molea

Is it not the case that a separation of game and life is one of EVE’s core tenets? While I agree with you in principle, the real-life dead should have never been memorialized in the game in this manner. Especially since there are better ways to do it, such as, for example, creating a Doomheim-like corporation, and memorializing a dead person by putting a character dedicated to them into it. That form of memorial wouldn’t be able to be touched. Additionally, the original intent of this “graveyard” was not for real-life people, but for in-game characters. In fact, I would venture to guess that the original creator of the graveyard foresaw the possibility that players would be able to interfere with the memorial, and was fine with it.

Your belief (“personally draw the line is actions that extend beyond the game and attack the human being sitting behind the keyboard”) is flawed, because players could so easily exploit that sentiment. Allow me to make an example for you:

There was a war I conducted one time, one of very many, against a possible ransom target. A few higher-ups put me into a chat window on the first day, and told me that one of their members had a heart condition, and that if I attacked them, he might suffer severe consequences in real life. I was morally-conflicted, but argued that if that’s the case, then that player shouldn’t play a game like EVE, and should be advised to leave immediately. They maintained their position, and begged me to not attack them, as I tried to explain that if I stopped, someone else would come along and repeat the process, and unlike me, they wouldn’t stop. I offered to advise them and fight on their behalf if someone messed with them in the future, for a fee. I believe there was no resolution, and like 98% of all carebear corporations I wardecced, they ended up disbanding within a few days.

Now imagine that every corporation has a sick person in it, at death’s door, and by attacking them, you would put the nails into their coffin. Surely this counts as an action that extends beyond the reach of a game, and affects someone in real life, right? But I’m sure you also see how this doesn’t reconcile with the nature and reality of this game.

4 Likes