JihadSwarm Declares WAR on Molea

That is not entirely true. There is a lot of other junk there.

4 Likes

“whole point” as in - the original idea.

1 Like

It is not my intention to contradict you here. My understanding was that the original concept was that the founder of the site wanted to have a place to put all the in-game corpses they came across into a big graveyard. I was under the impression that it was initially an in-game role-playing site. It later grew in significance as people brought corpses of players (not sure about the terminology here) to the site. At this point, the site is serving dual purposes and it is a mess. If we want it to be an actual memorial for deceased Eve players, that is cool, but CCP would have to build some game mechanic around that.

Right now it is just a pretty monument that lets you anchor cans next to it.

5 Likes

Is it actually ‘pretty’?

I have heard local residents refer to it as “that eyesore” and “the garbage pile”.

2 Likes

I wanted to be charitable.

3 Likes

@Aiko_Danuja, if you come across a can labelled “Tabs, gone but not forgotten” I’d be grateful if you left it alone.

This is Tabs.

4 Likes

I like cats, but Tabs would want me to pounce.

4 Likes

Nah, she would want you to feed her and then tickle her belly.

4 Likes

Wasn’t the original idea inspired from someone collecting corpses?

Not capsuleers that would never return, but just corpses in general.

1 Like

No, sadly, everyday those limits are surpassed, new goals set and then they strive to achieve even greater heights or depths.

m

5 Likes

yes that was the idea she asked for corpses to be donated to be “buried” at the cemetery , many of my alts corpses were donated and interred there.

1 Like

Although I don’t support the attack of a memorial site, I’m glad that the EVE universe allows players to be truly evil.

2 Likes

It was my impression… I’m prepared to admit being wrong on this, I didn’t dig back to any original postings when I wrote what I did.

I have trouble endorsing ‘truly evil,’ but recognize that EVE lets you choose a side, in a way ‘theme park’ mmo’s don’t. It makes EVE more memorable than boss raid #2385, both for good and… because bad things can happen.

Eve is very dark,” confirms creative director Torfi Frans Ólafsson. “It’s harsh. It is supposed to be unforgiving. The original designers played a lot of Ultima Online, which was a fantastic sandbox game, and it allowed you to be very devious and very immoral in the way that you played. What they loved about it is that player killers, the griefers – people who just went around and killed other people – became so unpopular that other people banded together. Good started fighting evil, and without true evil you can’t have true good. So you had these bands of righteous people chasing player killers, and those player killers were the original Eve designers; they created a game about that mechanic.”

1 Like

The nice thing is that in EVE you don’t have to choose a pre-defined side, you can make your own sides.

CCP sometimes forces sides (for example Triglavians vs Edencom), but in the case of this thread someone created their own side ‘against the Molea memorial’, thereby encouraging others to pick the other side to defend the memorial. Player-driven content!

Also while ‘truly evil’ is debatable, I’d say declaring war on a memorial site is pretty high on the evil-scale.

5 Likes

Here here.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s why CCP doesn’t just make the whole site invulnerable and unlootable. Would make things a lot easier, but there’s no way to show respect when it’s enforced.

1 Like

Every good story needs convincing villains, good and evil seem to be concepts that Eve revels in and provides ample opportunity for people to engage in.

2 Likes

First of all, I want to explicitly and unambiguously declare my position: I think desecrating a graveyard dedicated to players who died IRL is pretty reprehensible.

Having said that… such desecration is totally in the spirit of EVE just as is suicide ganking newbs in hisec or CCP implementing “no asset safety” without a grandfathering mechanic to structures in k-space after promising asset safety or hunting players to the edge of New Eden (cough cough). If the mechanic exists by which something can be exploited, it will and probably should be exploited regardless of its intent.

I suspect the reason why CCP did not give the memorial special facilities such as view-only/deposit-only hangar for corpses, etc, is so that they could preserve existing behavior (ie. desecration would continue to be a thing) as they progress with their removal of old-style CT “stick” POSes. If you have a problem with desecration, don’t get mad at Aiko, get mad at CCP - they had the opportunity to eliminate this player dynamic but they chose to preserve it.

2 Likes

Cans don’t shoot back.

Seems about right for you guys.

7 Likes

The amount of virtue signaling in this thread (especially at the beginning) is pretty intense.

That’s the crux of the issue, isn’t it? Every time someone does, or plans to do, something “bad” in the game, the pearl-clutchers pour out of the woodwork, throw their hands up to the heavens, and shout “won’t someone do something about this!?” Never mind the fact that just like everyone else in the game, they can use guns, likely own more of them (because they’re greedy, wealth-driven egoists) than the “evil” players, and outnumber the belligerent undesirables fifty-to-one. No, the only work they’re willing to put in is a sphincter-clenching appeal to morality.

What those sociopaths are up to now…Oh, won’t somebody think of the children, and save us from this suffering?

7 Likes