Jita Direct Trade Scams and the EvE community

Exactly! - EvE is Life and like Solonius said, you have to love it! :slight_smile:

They poked fun and made a connection between the numbers you used for internet speed and getting scammed via not recognising a number in the trade window.

Ask yourself, how did we get from that to sociopaths?

1 Like

IT is much wider than just repair, sales and maintenance.

I don’t intentionally misunderstand anything. I literally interpret what you are writing. If you are not writing what your true intentions are, then I can’t really be blamed. I’m not a mind reader after all.

Yes, you don’t know me and I don’t know you. Yet, that didn’t hold you back from calling me a sociopath earlier, just because I pointed out you cannot generalize the demographic of a whole industry.

You talk a lot about conscience, yet you don’t seem to have any issues with calling random people on the internet sociopaths i.e. having a mental disorder. Nor do you have any issues, when generalizing a demographic on some backwards idea of how it works. You even said earlier, that you are not an IT guy. So how do you know so well what people work in it, even better than the actual IT professionals?

I could have insulted your profession in many ways and how you fit into it, but I didn’t cause I think that is beyond the game and not really fitting in any argument.

So how about we stop insulting others based on their profession and calm down.

Because you are not instantly flocking to her and saying how wrong this is and offering her isk and that this is completely the fault of CCP and the evil sociopath scammers.

That makes you a sociopath.

Confirmed.

2 Likes

I don’t know what kind of crack your smoking your understanding of internet but you better get a business T1 from Comcast for a long time I know that for a fact my Uncle Bill is an architectural business and we’ve been using T1 for ever

Well, it sucks to be scammed. I just don’t understand why anyone would use the trade window - in Jita of all places - when even the contracts offered in General look like scams 90% of the time. If you’re not in need of the cash NOW play it safe instead. 10K ISK for a contract is a perfectly reasonable fee for making a sale secure, and using the “view market details” button to check sell/buy offers is one click. You’ll have to post a sell order but if it’s a suitable margin below the next lowest it will sell quickly.

And namecalling aside, if you’re not worried someone will scam you in Jita you too might have some problems with social stuff…

You clearly missed the bit about my processer, my ramm, my video card and my connection speeds.

Again, I’ll repeat myself again and again and again.

I.
Did.
Not.
Accuse.
All.
Eve.
Players.
Of.
Anything.

There is a difference between the majority and All. I think you might look into history for that one if you cant grasp the language rules pertaining to that fact. Would you say all Germans were Nazi’s, or the majority (in WW2)?
Being a sociopath isnt that serious of a mental disorder. Most of humanity has it to some degree. The only reason you’re offended by the word is because you don’t understand it. You watch the TV and some news reporter says all the bad guys are sociopaths so you just sort of assumed sociopath means evil.
Again, that is your problem, not mine.
I appreciate your total devotion to ignoring how the scam was performed. With the specs I listed, I should not lag. Somehow, I do lag in jita though. I can multibox raids in world of warcraft and not lag once, but the old ■■■■ engine eve uses doesnt operate as well.
As I stated, I’m no IT expert, but it seems to me that if you’re older than 15 years, you’d remember the games you could play on '98 or xp that you cant run on 7 or better.
The reason, as i understand it with my limited knowledge on the subject, has to do with writing the program to work with the updated hardware and various current programs.
You know, the same reason that Macs are only considered game worthy in the last 5 or so years? amazing.
You didn’t directly defend the scammer, actually. insulting my intelligence or telling me to go ask my parents isnt a direct defense.
I’ve posted the definition of sociopath a couple of times already. If you can’t see how that applies to the Eve community, you probably are one of the sociopaths. Perhaps you’ve also chosen to ignore the dozens of published papers on the link between video game violence and increased mental disorders. Hell, Video game addiction is a thing now, apparently.
I also diagnose most of the world as sociopaths. The evidence is there, it’s not my fault you’re offended by it.
As for your suggestion to ask any psychologist, I suggest you do the same. The topic is quite heated within the field, and you’ll find more and more are leaning towards the correlation between video games and increased mental disorders and health issues throughout the developed world.
in short, video games feed your impulses, they trick your mind into releasing serotonin which later creates a deficiency, which leads to depressions and/or bursts of anger. There is a reason the red book is listing videogame addiction as a disease now.
Yes, theft is morally wrong. We have consequences for it in the real world. Again, you’ve chosen to miss the finer points and ignored the manipulation of game mechanics to accomplish the theft.
Regular situations, like being blown up have ways to defend against. When a player uses a known game mechanic to trick people into accepting much less than they agreed to, it is not just theft. it is cheating and it is the worst part of wrong, when it comes to video games.
In real life, people can’t trick you by cheating the laws of physics. they cant make your brain stop working for 7 seconds so they can steal everything you have. We’re not talking momentary confusion, or tapping you on the shoulder while they steal your wallet. We’re talking complete lack of brain response for 7 seconds while the back end processes information, allowing them to gingerly pull everything you have and walk away without consequences.
I’m not sure what to use as an example for that.
to an extend, gankers are sociopathic. However, you can see them coming and you can defend against them. How do you defend against ccp hardware not communicating with more modern technology properly? Thus, i have a problem. I’d never heard of this type of thing until i experienced it, then came to the forums. It appears you forum rats know all about it, yet nobody talks about it in rookie chat. I’d think that would be the first place i should have heard of this.
I don’t recall ever stating that I am ok with scammers. Please, if you’re going to comment on what i think, have something to back it up. Nowhere in here did I say I was ok with scammers.
It’s a known mechanic to veteran players sure, but it appears all you veterans do is tell new players to get bent and learn from being stolen from. That is what makes you a sociopath.
You know of the issue and you take no actions to warn, stop or stigmatize the action. That makes you an enabler.

To be clear, I’m ok with gankers, gate campers and pvp. I’ve never once stated i was ok with any type of scammer.

Honey you got to remember 15% of Eve players welfare recipients and they have no life outside of Eve they have no concept of what a business is they have no concept of what living outside of their local grocery store is for the most part so you can hate them you just have to put your point out there and most of the time they’re not going to understand it because it doesn’t involve their welfare check or what they have to do what they have to do to maintain that welfare check Scamming is the way of life for them because they know no other way they would steal the shoes Off your feet if they could because that’s all I know hugs Sahaqiel

1 Like

They poked fun of and made a connection between numbers they dont understand and getting lag scammed in jita. Again, it is not my fault they are not aware that internet speeds exist beyond what they have. What do you want me to do about it?

@ Maekchu - “Yes, you don’t know me and I don’t know you. Yet, that didn’t hold you back from calling me a sociopath earlier, just because I pointed out you cannot generalize the demographic of a whole industry.”

You’ve put it on display for everyone to see. You’re intentionally ignoring the portions that don’t suit your argument. I’ve posted the definition of sociopath, and instead of arguing that you’re not one, you simply proceeded to act exactly as the definition states.
Again, what do you want me to do about that? I respond with the information i have, and you continue to attempt to trivialize and misdirect the whole point.
I don’t see any problem with identifying mental disorders when I see it. I was trained to do exactly that.
You don’t appear to even know what the word means, but you’re offended by it. Again, that speaks more about you than it does me.
As for your comments about knowing more than actual IT professionals, I’ve yet to see one identify themselves in these comments. the so called it professionals that wanted to mock my internet speeds don’t appear to know that you can get better speeds that gigabyte internet. I don’t know how professional that really makes them.

“Because you are not instantly flocking to her and saying how wrong this is and offering her isk and that this is completely the fault of CCP and the evil sociopath scammers.”

and now you become even more petty and assholish. Good job!

"Solonius Rex

Maekchu:

I’m not a mind reader after all.

That makes you a sociopath.

Confirmed. "

But i’m supposed to read your mind that you’re supposedly an IT professional that doesn’t know the internet goes faster than 10gbps. I mean, at least you’re identifying yourself as an IT professional now, 4 hours later, with other players jumping in explaining what t1 is.

I’m a software developer, which was why I felt insulted by your post regarding the generalization of IT professions.

But apparently, from the above posts you have diagnosed me to be a sociopath. Ok, I’m done.

Not sure how I can argue with this godlike level of psychological analysis.

LOL
a software developer that doesn’t know the internet goes faster than 10gbps. Did you know processor cores go past 2 now too?
Now i’m being condescending.

Excuse me, where have I been debating about your internet connection?

I have ONLY posted a post regarding contracts to avoid scams and then addressed your generalization of IT professionals. I have not touched any other part of whatever discussion you have had going here.

But thank you for showing us you being an ass about it.

Probably the same place i said I was ok with regular scammers.
Oh wait, 3rd mistake of the night. I mixed you up with the other guy. My apologies.

I’m glad you’re enjoying EvE Sahaqiel. If you’d asked about in station trading on rookie help we would have been able to help you.

you mean in between insults and announcing that you’re blocking me every few minutes?
Much like in this thread, anytime i broach a subject in rookie chat i’ve been met with hostility, trivialization, misdirection and aggression.
Rookie chat is what made me start to pay attention to the psychology of eve players to begin with.

• not you specifically, some of the bittervets, as i know you’ve seen.

Well, apology not accepted.

Not only do you still have some warped idea about what IT professionals are like. According to your previous posts, we still are more probable to be sociopaths than other professions.

You also diagnosed me with being a sociopath with my few posts in here.

Sure, sometimes I troll a little on these forums, but I’ve actually tried to be civil in this thread and you have insulted me IRL and my trade. Honestly, I think it speaks more about you than me.

You know, i tried to clear this up, by trying to ask you if you have diagnosed me as being a sociopath.

Which you never answered.

And I was speaking hyperbolically. But im curious as to why you seem to think this matters. Youre still accusing the very people who are discussing this with you, of being sociopaths. Of having, as you put it, a mental illness.

More dishonesty on your part.

You and I both know that you were using the term sociopath with a negative connotation. You demonstrated this by comparing us to prison inmates, serial killers, rabid dogs.

Dont try to act like you were just using the term as a hyperbolic, generalized statement about society as a hole, and try to put the blame of “Misunderstanding” you on us.

Now you are clearly just being dishonest.

So youre telling me that you never knew that EVE runs on a 1 Hertz refresh rate? Or ever heard of Time dialation? Even after losing, as you say, billions of isk worth of ships and infiltrating tens, if not hundreds of corps?

I did. The first person who posted a reply, also did:

I did too. I said that when i hear scams being done, i get giddy and i love it. I dont know how that couldnt be a defense of scamming in this game. Do you defend what you love? Or do you try to ban what you love. But incase you need to hear me say it in those exact words, here it is.

I am directly defending the scammer, because scamming is an accepted practice in EVE online.

I do not defend Scamming in real life, however, incase you want to conflate fantasy with real life again.

That definition would only apply to us if it applied to you as well.

So are you going to admit that you are also a sociopath?

Oh cool. Im sure youll be able to provide studies, papers, to back up your, you know, facts.

Guess how you defend against direct trade? Dont do it.

This happens all the time in other aspects of the game, though. Im sure youve heard of a freighter accepting a duel request?

Im sure every single person. EVERY single person on this thread, would see a scam coming when the opponent asked for a direct trade scam.

Well, except for you.

No, we do.

Again, more dishonesty.

If you, or any other new player were to ask me, “Is it smart of me to accept a direct trade window to trade items?” My answer would be an honest one.

It would be “No, dont do it, its probably a scam. Much safer to use contracts instead.”

Just because we dont post a thread every day about it, doesnt mean we wont attempt to warn or stop someone from being scammed.

Infact, the majority of the first few comments here was “you shouldnt do it. You shouldnt open up a trade window”. The fact that we dont go around jita local spamming “DONT OPEN TRADE WINDOWS” and dont make a thread every 5 minutes with the title “DO NOT OPEN TRADE WINDOWS IT IS A SCAM”, doesnt mean we dont take actions to warn, or stop people from falling for it.

And yes, we aboslutely tell new players who get ganked, the same thing we tell people who get scammed. Learn from being ganked and be more prepared next time. Which you deemed as completely okay with, and also deemed that gankers are, to an extent, sociopaths. So does telling a new player to learn from being ganked, make us sociopaths as well?

So youre okay with some sociopaths, as you stated that gankers are to an extent, sociopaths, but not other sociopaths? Okay.

Apparently were ALL sociopaths.

Except for Sahaqiel, the only non-sociopath human ever to be alive.

I’ve killed players in many games, that must mean I’m a murderer IRL, according to OP’s logic.

1 Like