Just lost 60m+isk to calm abyssals. why do I keep missing?

Just lost my fits

[Maller, Dont look at me]
Damage Control II
Extruded Compact Heat Sink
800mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
800mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Medium Armor Repairer I
Reactive Armor Hardener

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Optical Compact Tracking Computer
Medium F-RX Compact Capacitor Booster

Focused Medium Pulse Laser I

Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Hobgoblin I x3

Tracking Speed Script x1
Imperial Navy Multifrequency M x5
Radio M x5
Cap Booster 800 x9
Standard M x6
Multifrequency M x5

and

[Omen, gunna getcha]
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Medium Armor Repairer I

Large Cap Battery I
Tracking Computer I
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Focused Afocal Pulse Maser I

Medium Anti-EM Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Hobgoblin I x8

Optimal Range Script x1
Tracking Speed Script x1
Radio S x1
Radio M x5
Microwave M x5
Multifrequency M x5

one lost to calm dark, other lost to calm gamma.

Im 4 weeks into the game. so I dont know it all, and was confident cruiser would be a nice upgrade. Heres the issue. My damn cruisers cant land a shot. not one of them. I am alpha so im already gated out of alot of content, but surely my skills would be enough?

Controlled burst 3. Gunnery 4, medium turret 2, motion prediciton 4, Sharp shooter 3, rapid firing 3, small energy turret 3, surgical strike 1, small projectile turret 1, Trajectory analysis 1.

What here is making my shots miss? please enlighten me. (Yes I am Alpha) making sure that is known.

There are a number of Alpha friendly fits in this thread. You’ll notice all of them have a stasis webifier. You need some way to slow the rats down so your medium weapons can apply damage.

2 Likes

I don’t like using plates for PvE. They slow you down, and you don’t have to worry about alpha damage in most activities. So, if I’m going to use those slots for tank, it will be to increase my resistances and active rep. But I digress.

That Omen fit looks decent. Do as Do Little suggested though, and swap the tracking computer for a web. I always pair webs with short range weapon systems as it results in more applied DPS. Plus, they help both your main weapon system and your drones hit.

There is no reason to use a T1 armor repper. Upgrade it to an enduring to save on cap and get a little more EHP/s. Yeah, switch that T1 cap battery for a large compact, and then switch the compact AB to an enduring if you still have the fitting room.

You also need to work on your skills, but I’m sure you want to participate in the Skilling event. So, you need to pick the things that will give you the most benefit in the shortest amount of time. So first off, train Surgical strike to level 2. Now, I don’t know what your other support skills are at, but based upon what you listed, train Medium Energy Turret 3 and Surgical Strike 3 next.

Screw it. You should get all the following skills to level 2 ASAP, and then start working on getting them to level 3 (many should already be at 3, but just in case).

• Amarr Cruiser
  • Acceleration Control
  • Afterburner
  • Hull Upgrades
  • Navigation
  • Capacitor Management
  • Capacitor Systems Operation
  • Thermodynamics (allows you to overheat mods (like your armor rep)
  • All the Armor Compensation Skills (SUPER IMPORTANT, if you haven’t maxed these out yet, do so. Should only take you like 8 hours or something since you’re capped at rank 2)
  • Repair Systems
  • Medium Energy Turret
  • Surgical Strike

These skills are also super useful, but you should prioritize getting all the skills from the first list to 3 first. Then, you can work on making sure these are all level 3. Maybe save Drone, targeting, and rigging skills for last.

• Spaceship Command
  • Evasive Maneuvering
  • Fuel Conservation (I think this one is Omega Only)
  • Advanced Weapon Upgrades
  • CPU Management
  • Energy Grid Upgrades
  • Power Grid Management
  • Weapon Upgrades
  • Mechanics (You should already have this at level IV)
  • Controlled Bursts
  • Gunnery
  • Motion Prediction
  • Rapid Fire
  • Sharpshooter
  • Trajectory Analysis
  • Drones
  • Light Drone Operation
  • Drone Avionics
  • Drone Durability
  • Drone Interfacing
  • Drone Navigation
  • Drone Sharpshooting
  • Armor Rigging
  • Long Range Targeting
  • Signature Analysis
  • Target Management

Also, set your orbit and keep at range distances to a little inside your optimal range. If you find your self orbiting, or rubber banding outside or your optimal, tighten them up a little bit. Basically, you want to be as far away as possible to give yourself the best possible tracking, but close enough that you stay within your optimal range for 95% of the time. If your tank can handle it, just use keep at range against the frigs. If not, use orbit (and you should always use orbit against larger ships -Also, make sure you spiral into your orbit against larger ships, instead of just clicking the orbit button).

3 Likes

thank you for the very detailed reply. still dont understand teh stasis web thing giving the distances in abyss but im sure it checks out. I like using plating as i prefer passive tanking, dont like fiddling with cap too much.

My amarr crusier skill is just 1 atm. How does rasing it affect my skills if I may ask? The description doesn’t say much .

acceleration control-2
afterburner-3
hull upgrades-4
navigation-3
Capacitor Management-3 1/2
Capacitor Systems Operation maxed at 3
Thermodynamics 0

now some of thoes skilll isted are omega, heck alot of the base skill cap out. No to mention it will take me months to skill everything up as an alpha. When I have just days before event ends to get free SP.

1 Like

Okay, the bonus a spaceship skill gives is dependent on the hull. Click show info for the spaceship, and then look at the first tab. Spaceship skills are quite powerful; their trade off is that they apply to a very limited range of ships. For example, Amarr cruiser only applies to about a dozen ships. Meanwhile, surgical strike applies to every ship that fits turrets.

Well, passive tanking can be powerful, but you’ll be denying yourself a useful tool if you eschew active tanks. Many people will strive for cap stability when PvE’ing (it reduces module management and makes life easier), but you’ll have a harder time getting your fits cap stable as an alpha.

As for the web, you can use longer range ammo while trying to close distances, but you should switch to your highest DPS ammo once you get in range of your targets (multifreq). At that point, you’ll be close enough to use your web. Speaking of which, Acceleration Control 3 will and Armor rigging 2 or 3 will help you move a little faster as well.

1 Like

Plates in PvE are only useful if you are in danger of being alpha-ed, and concept of “passive tanking” cannot really be applied to armor - it is called buffer tanking instead implying that it isnt sustainable. Yet you waste 2 low slots (on a maller) for it when you could have fit more heatsinks or tracking enhancers or more resists for better active tank or cap modules to make that tank sustainable. Same for rigs (again, on a maller)

A Stasis Webifier slows down the opposing ship, so it is easier to hit and can’t get out of range that fast.
A Target Painter is increasing the signature radius of the opposing ship, and your salvos will be more accurate and thus hit better, too. Also your drones tend to attack a ship you paint.
Low range turrets hit better than long range, but have less range. Incidently the range for a web is also only 10 km, so Pulse Lasers are perfectly cool. Find out which lenses hit best at which distance and train swapping them fast without too much pondering, your choice of lenses looks OK, too. You might invest in Navy/Pirate faction lenses to apply more DPS.

Thanks for all the great advice! I finally passed an abyssal . did it by the skin of my teeth.

Then I got overconfident tried another. immediately lost my 4th crusier.

Lucid Firewatcher, there wasnt a damn thing I could have done…Vaporized every drone I had, and still somehow focused me to death.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.