[Lifeblood] Refineries, Moon Drills and the Extraction Process

As you for sure guessed: The buttons as far from final, but the location (on the right side of the HUD) will probably not change.
Btw: I like your mock-up (but I am luckily not a UI designer) :slight_smile:

Basil “POCO gantries are limited to where you can place them though. They have to be within x km of the “warp to 0” spot on that planet”

Uh, no?

The first two planets I warped to in Perimeter have their poco’s on the other side of the world. I’ve put poco’s into polar orbits before. In fact, I just went on singularity to a /moveme system, J124504 and the empty small lava planet and tested this, anchoring the gantry and upgrading it too. Go visit it yourself if you want to see it in person. If your logi department has told you there is a X km limit, they are just being lazy. I don’t blame them, they are volunteers.

Basil “You’re assuming”

Were both in the dark on this at the moment and I am assuming, I’ll agree to that. You assumption is that belt placement will be below warpable distance to decrease miner safety. My operating assumption is that the belt will be outside of the refinery gun range to descrease miner safety, which would make it warpable. Whether the belt will always be placed between the refinery and the planet is a valid thing to question. Time will tell.

Basil “It’s really hard to build a multi-structure hub with insta/fast warps unless you string them all in a single line.”

Yes, I am in fact talking about placing the 3rd structure (refinery) on the line determined by the planet (assumed belt location) and extant system structure/gate.

Rowells “this system is basically the same as POSes have always been”

Upwell structures are supposed to improve upon POSes.

Rowells “So there is no need to rip rigs unless the new owner doesn’t want them.”

This is exactly the problem.
If someone builds an integrated vertical supply chain under this mechanic, they’re screwed.

(I hate WIP numbers) With a standup drill included but no rigs, a medium refinery pencils out to be 0.9b, the large refinery, about 7b.

Sticking to the inter-operable refining rigs already on the market. Each medium T2 rig cost about 2.5b to build right now. Realistically they will have 2 such rigs for 5b. Each large refining T2 rig costs 35b to build. Realistically you will have 1 T2 refining rig (ore, which should include moon rocks) and then 1xT2 + 1x T1 production rig (together about 15b).

This gives us the following scenarios
a) Shoot moon w/unrigged medium refinery – 0.9b
b) Shoot moon & process some goo w/medium rigged refinery – 6b
c) Shoot moon w/unrigged large refinery – 7b
d) Shoot moon &process all goo w/large rigged refinery – 57b
x) You will never use t1 rigs on a refinery because it is shitty to the point that it offers no bonus over the T2 rigged EC or citadel you already have.

If you have built option B, C, or D, how in the world are you going to sell your setup? If the next guy coming to take your stuff has an marginal operational cost of 0.9b to start shooting the moon, how are you going to convince them to pay you 6b to 57b to do the same? It’s not going to happen. The real world equivalent of this would be the US federal government (CCP) ordering a City (alliance) to use eminent domain to tear down a skyscraper (Corp #1’s rigged refinery) and replace it with a single family home (Corp #2’s unrigged peashooter.) That is patently stupid. Any mechanic that encourages this is patently stupid. This king of the hill mechanic is patently stupid.

With a capture the flag mechanic, the marginal value lost when the Flag (laser) gets moved is contained to the functionality and cost of the standup drill: about 200m isk. (Plex @ $15 usd & 1.5b isk, aka USD $10/bil isk)(Marginal value lost = Cost of destroyed structure – cost of standup drill) The difference in marginal values for a medium, rigged refinery is 5.8b ($58). For a medium, rigged refinery the difference in marginal values is 56.8b ($568). These issues are going to happen. By the 7th or so time this scenario happened, CCP could have paid a programmer for a month with the lost income, to deconflict this. Not fixing this while they have the chance is a terrible business decision for CCP.

Counterpoint: Goonswarm Federation is still planning to build nothing but large refineries, at the alliance level, based on the information given to us by these devblogs. I’ll let you chew on why that might be the case.

Sure and they do, immensely, but not at the expense of upending relatively balanced mechanics.

Iirc that’s not correct. Refineries are specifically being bonuses to be better than other structures at refining. Unless it’s a pitulent change (haven’t got final numbers yet), then even a T1 rigged structure is likely to beat out or perform better than a citadel or EC.

If I’m understanding this right, you want a method to avoid the consequences of choosing a certain rig setup? Because it sounds like, after numerous transfers and deals, that some moon somewhere is covered in refineries that people just can’t unanchor because destroying a rig would break their heart (since it has already broken their wallet).

My advice would be to not rig the extractor then. Rig one refinery in the system (not on a moon beacon) and give all the extractors the bare minimum needed to operate. If transferability is your concern, then that is your best solution without adding in a few potential issues to other aspects of gameplay.

The choice between L and M is really going to boil down to the impact of the T2 rigs over T1 and the difference in cost. So far I’ve only seen evidence of mining rigs but I assume that’s because the reactions are still much more a WIP. There’s also going to be a strong element of how many of these are you going to need? If you end up wanting 10 or 20 in each system then you’re probably going to prioritise a large or two per system and then fill out with mediums.

Hopefully the interesting trade off is going to be whether you stick a large on the best moon for the extra structure stability + defenses or a medium for the cheaper T2 rigs.

Alliances being much more location locked than before does make investing in higher quality infrastructure more likely to pay off.

Not to mention that I believe it has been stated that once Refineries enter the game, the bonus on the Astrahus and EC for refining will be removed. From some of the original devblogs, those bonuses were meant to be temporary until the “real” refining structure was added and now here we are.

Are mediums allowed to moon mine? Because i saw a medium refinery pulling up a moon piece…

also, some kind of notification that the beam that cracks the moon is firing would be nice, when i fired it took some adjusting of the camera angle to actually see the lazer warm up and fire. i woun up pressing the fire button a few times becuase i was not 100% sure it was warming up.

Which is also why they are going to detach and refund all of the reprocessing related rigs everywhere. They’ll be adjusting the bonuses on them too IIRC so that Rig + Refinery ends up around the same scale as it does today.

What I can’t recall seeing is how/where they intend to put the refunded rigs. My guess is to the CEO character of the owning corp which could be entertaining for some groups.

Yes mediums can currently mine. I’d expect that to continue to be true so that there’s a wide potential spread of mine-able moons.

one more thing, when mining a moon rock, the miner beams were not visable form my mack, not sure why but if its the same tonight i’ll issue a bug report.

they are not suppose to via the blog, but i could understand if they can for testing.

I missed that bit in the blog. Can you remember which paragraph roughly that was in?

This is correct, both sizes can perform moon mining.

i misread thanks for the clarification on my part =)

I know the reactions are still under development. What I see so far is that the look like Blueprints. Will the have the same 10%ME/20%PE max research levels? Can they be copied? Any thoughts about linking them to some sort of invention or will they strictly be T1?

Any new implants to further improve the reaction process?

1 Like

Reaction blueprints are unavailable for research of any kind.

Will there be a mapping from existing BPOs to the new MOON GEAR or will there be a BPO seeding for moon equipment/crystals beforehand?

Reaction blueprints will map 1:1. The POS stuff has no analog and won’t be converted at all. I’m guessing they’ll do a buyback for them?

He CCP

i have today on the Testserver fired on the Moon Piece, but no roids is coming.
. It is a Bug?

the 'roid models are still missing but they are there. use a Survey scanner and/or add them to your overview manually