Linux Software... for everyone

If you ignore the RTOS that’s running on your CPU in ring -5, yeah…

i read ya, but i can’t do anything about that and won’t throw away a perfectly working computer for a threat that doesn’t harm me yet. that they will eventually use it (or governments ordering it) is highly likely, but not anytime soon. vOv

Back before I got a 64-bit personal system I had a (free, love freeware) version of Linux for 32-bit hardware specifically designed to help windows-accustomed users like me and most others to access the Linux world and get into it without having to give up windows all at once. It had a graphical interface much like windows does. One could dual-install both windows and this Linux-flavor (PClinuxOS) with a hardrive partition the Linux helped you easily set up. One could even run PClinuxOS only from the disc if one didn’t want to put it on part of your hardrive for some reason. I enjoyed learning a bit about Linux using it without immediately stopping using windows. Easing into Linuxland. One imagines any program requiring windows to be run could be run if dual operating systems provided options.

I thought EvE had stopped supporting Linux and wouldn’t run on anything but windows. Evidently I was mistaken about that. Good news. Now I’ll look into what Linux options might be available.

EDIT: ooh - cool. I am years behind evidently. What I hoped for has been available for some time now. Looking forward to putting this together. Tux is calling me!
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,142398.0.html

1 Like

I own my system. I don’t buy Wal-Mart PC’s,I build my own systems. I can modify and improve anything I want in regards to my system. Windows 10 was free for almost 2 years, guess you missed the boat. In fact, you can still get it for free https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)().

What are you, some 14 year old hipster with a PC that can only run antique games and who still uses a typewriter to be “special”?

Being part of a niche ecosystem that frankly should have been abandonware years ago doesn’t make you smart or edgy, it just makes the rest of us snicker at you. But then, we’re also playing all those great games and using all that great software your linux can’t. Unless of course, you dual-boot Windows? But then that’d just make you a hypocrite as well as a technological troglodyte, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

Linux has more customizability

Linux has more use/ground

I spent a solid year setting up Linux boxes for our school, they were able to run software that were OS specific (needing windows 95 or the like) with no issue, while Windows 10 spat out error messages. It was hard to convince them though, since a Linux machine managed to hack into their network not too long ago (Windows server went down in a snap and even the MAC server they had up wasn’t strong enough to defend against Linux… So, Fire with Fire.

It is also helpful for elderly people. They are used to the look and feel of an old OS like Windows XP and refuse to use anything else because it either won’t work on their hardware or is not Windows XP. Linux can be modified to look and act just like those environments while also being modern and far more secure. Not to mention that some forms can run on just 10 MB RAM like DSL.

Windows is always the least secure OS

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1879547

Linux is being added into winodows

Linux is everywhere and is most popular in the IoT

The biggest addition will be Windows new File system, ReFS, based on Linux file systems like BtrFS and Razor for their resiliency

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA0NDA

4 Likes

what a childish reply, showing how immature you are. you don’t even comprehend what i’ve written.

When products are free, then you are the product. You probably also believe that minerals you mine are free as well? :slight_smile:

(i guess this needs clarification: windows is a product. open source software isn’t. it’s open, everyone can learn from it, use it and there is no one selling your data.)

with “modifying” i was talking about something different, apparently outside of your scope. Building a PC is easy and switching parts as well.

the majority of people are dumb, as you likely know. you use a product that is tailored to the masses, who have no clue and need to be shielded from their own machine not to ■■■■ it up. What does that make you? :slight_smile:

PS: 99.99999% of everything digital around you runs a linux kernel. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t forget, Windows 10 spies on user activity, they released a document that shows what they take and look at… it’s pretty much everything that isn’t encrypted… but they still have the keys

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

1 Like

Windows is not a Unix-derivative. Saying Windows is a Unix-derivative is about the same as saying lemons and apples are the same thing.

Actually, your entire post is full of misinformation. Please refrain from posting about things you don’t have any knowledge about.

1 Like

I used news sources, added the links too

Linus… you’re not Torvalds, so would you mind not behaving like him? He tried and he’s nice, unlike you who now behaves just like the kid above.

Fanboys are trash and do more harm than good.

Thank, its things I find in Dev blogs that I find that’s not compiled into an installer that I can’t get to work.

Plus I have trouble getting it to find new source libraries. It’s hard headed to me like fighting with KODI(formally XBMC)

I love the C&C Red Alert 1&2.

1 Like

I used have 2 copies of windows running and Ubuntu on my puter but never really used it much just because I I didn’t have the software on it I wanted

i am really wondering what it is that you struggle with. anything i want usually is ant apt-get away, at worst i have to add a repo. i guess i’m spoiled. time to finally install gentoo…

anyhow, if you manage to get something to run, you have a mortal enemy here to play against. :smiley:

first i need coffee, i type worse than usually.

The thing is, when you’re polite, the other person will usually try to make it better, like he did. But it’s still completely wrong and he’s still spreading misinformation, so usually the only way that makes it clear that someone like that is wrong is outright calling them out. Otherwise they’ll continue to live with their wrong believes, or worse, educate other people with their flawed wisdom.

Being polite in situations like that only works when the person you’re talking to is a professional that understands his stuff and you can trust them to listen to what you have to say without resorting to strong language. Something which isn’t the case here, because Aster is plain and simple talking about things he does not understand.

The fact is, people need to know what my position on things are. And I can’t just say “please don’t do that”, because people won’t listen. I say “On the internet, nobody can hear you being subtle”, and I mean it. And I definitely am not willing to string people along, either. I’ve had that happen too - not telling people clearly enough that I don’t like their approach, they go on to re-architect something, and get really upset when I am then not willing to take their work.

1 Like

I guess I had trouble finding new repositories, and what I was finding was was uncompiled stuff and I was trying to compile it to install it.

Yes, I think your problem is that you try to use it like Windows. There you browse the web and download some software from some site and install it manually with an installer and hope you did not catch malware. That’s not how it works on Linux.

While there certainly is “external” software, like the EVE launcher, most software in a Linux distribution is already available over the package manager. This package manager comes in many forms, there are command line clients but also desktop applications where you can browse the available software and install it with a simple Click.

For example if you want Kodi, on an Ubuntu system you simply type “sudo apt-get install kodi” and then it will install it and it will show up in the installed applications. Or you open the software center, search for it and install it from there.

This has several advantages. This means someone already compiled it for you, checked if the programs are free of malware, ads and other stuff you don’t really want. It will show up in the correct section in the menu which is sorted by what the application actually does and not by developer or whatever.

There are sometimes cases where software is not available in the standard repositories. Usually then you will find additional repositories with more software or newer versions. Adding the repository just adds a source for new packages, which means that if the software will be updated it will automatically find the new version and depending on your settings update it automatically or notify you that you can press a simple button to update.

3 Likes

That’s true, I guess I have been using windows since 3.1 in school. It’s hard to get off that mind set of how I always used my PC.

It’s just like Kodi(XBMC used to be a Linux OS for the first Xbox, and still is for stand alone media builds), basically operates the same way, add repositories, select apps, let it install.

1 Like

That is not what opensource is about. And “modo” is not even a word.

1 Like

Glorious thread, if I must say so. I think this is a must-read for those who can’t afford a system that runs Windows or macOS and for those who want to have their software independence maintained down to the operating system.

Microsoft and Apple could decide one day that they won’t want to distribute their operating systems any more to anyone, which will be disastrous for those who depend on these operating systems for a living, for instance. Linux at least allows you to keep copies of operating systems for free I think - the operating systems are generally free and open source, and because they can be modified to specific needs, it won’t be obsoleted as badly.