Local chat delay in K-space (intelligent lore compatible idea)

Not seeing the problem. Perhaps you shouldn’t mine in busy systems and should stay aligned so you can warp out before a threat can tackle you?

And this. Having to manually press the button as fast as d-scan will cycle is not meaningful gameplay, you should be able to set it to auto-repeat just like your active modules. TBH I’m surprised CCP hasn’t made such an obvious change already.

Because with the current output method this would be bot central since you just scrape it to a logger, and now you have an automated bot tracking everything.
To make it automated, the output has to change away from a spreadsheet to a visual representation somehow, which is small enough to fit on your main screen without needing a special window so it can be always up, but requires player attention and skill to make good use of. My mind went to the classic space fighter 3d radar for this, but there probably is at least some kind of good solution.

But how is this any different from the current state? A bot doesn’t get frustrated with having to click a button as fast as possible, it just has a line in its script that clicks the button at the correct interval. The only people hurt by the current system are legitimate players who have a less-effective tool because they get tired of spamming the button at its maximum rate.

Now they have to send a bot input to the client at least, rather than not interact with the client at all, which at least gives some chance of detecting the bot. Especially obvious if the player is running multiple clients for Dscan.
Changing it to automated Dscan would move the tracking bots to entirely outside the clients I believe.

Edit:

I don’t really disagree with this, it’s one reason I am disinterested in Null/WH’s these days. I just think solving this simply by automating it might be one of those more harm than good solutions.

I like that you like my idea and would want it to be implemented, but maybe ask next time before you put it out like this and then pretend it’s your own.

Maybe don’t pretend you are the first to suggest or post this either.
A delayed local has been talked about in various forms for years & years, and amazingly two people can come up with the same idea independently.

Did I at any point suggest or imply I was the first ever? No? Then kindly stfu.

Yep, yep you did, or you wouldn’t have been telling someone else that they should credit ‘you’ with the idea, instead you would have been crediting someone else.
So… Yeah, you made it sound as if you were the first to suggest it. And your ragepost response makes it pretty clear that you don’t like being called out for your lies.

1 Like

Alright, let’s set things straight here. While it’s true that people may have suggested a delayed local in the past, my shallow web search found exactly 2 topics regarding this (one of which is this very thread here). So obviously it’s not something that’s on alot of peoples mind, no matter what you want me or others to believe. In fact, I’m playing EVE for 8 years now and I never heared anyone meantion or saw anyone write about a delayed local chat in the way I suggested ever, or any way really. Getting rid of local all together? Yes, plenty of times.
So the fact that OP suggests the very same thing in the exact same way, just wrapped in a different bow, only 2 days after my post suggests to me that he took my idea and ran with it. Therefor asking for credit where credit is due is hardly unreasonable. And yes, the way I suggested it makes it my idea, even if delayed local per se is obviously not.

“Ragepost”? Pfff. Stop projecting.

Search conditions. “Delayed Local”

For just a small sample. You clearly didn’t even do the shallowest search, or pay the slightest attention to the forums.

1 Like

But what makes a d-scan bot’s input more detectable than any other bot’s input? If CCP can’t stop all of the other bots out there, all of them making similar client inputs, then what is the purpose of leaving d-scan dysfunctional for legitimate players?

Server loading. Large distance formula pulls for multiple items aren’t something python handles well, so either d-scan range would need to decrease significantly for automated versions, or the period would need to be a fairly long, making it less than useful.

Or you see a hundred people open it in jita and boom, tidi.

But the current d-scan can already be spammed and often is. Allowing auto-repeat doesn’t increase the server load because it doesn’t (meaningfully) increase the rate of scans, it just allows the current rate to be done without excessive button presses.

If automated, how many more people will have it set to max range, max frequency and just leave it open 23/7?

Not many given the fact that running d-scan at maximum refresh rate is pretty much mandatory everywhere outside of highsec, and d-scan is of very limited value in highsec.

Quick reminder to everyone that this is not about automating frickin D-scan, to me it’s fine as it is, get good and press your d-scan button. Can we get back on topic?

Sure. The idea is unoriginal, one of the worse implementations of the concept, and should be yeeted on grounds of open thread with functionally identical proposal.

This is on topic,
If you want a delayed local, Deep Scan has to be automated for balance. Otherwise you are handing a ludicrous advantage to all hunters.

@Merin_Ryskin
Player input will show Deep Scan interruptions when other actions are performed, bots will not,
If someone has deep scan happening on 3 accounts cloaked at gates while their 4th is also performing combat actions… it’s very unlikely to be a legitimate player because of the number of actions per second required.
These are tells which CCP can use to follow up on buts currently that automating would remove.
I mean, I do want automated Dscan, I think the lack of it is silly, but I can also see where in it’s current form it would cause a whole lot of other issues.

If at least you would have read the posts you just linked and compared them to what I’m suggesting (and the OP, I guess) you’d have realized that those aren’t even close to being the same.

Nice try though. Better luck next time.