Local is probably never going away in NS

Please dont use that term, my chosen profession in eve was killed off because of it. :angry:

2 Likes

Well of course, that would be the 45 second dscan intel moment for the entering scout. :wink:

We could even think of counter-delay deployables used by active people in system, reducing that delay, say to a minimum of 35 secs at highest deployable level, making it harder for the scout to get valuable intel and warpins.

It would all have to happen very quick and well coordinated for the entering party, which is fair imo.

You seriously think that losing something for docking is a good idea? You can’t be serious, even for a spitball level idea that’s bad.

A better idea (not serious here, just a quick example) would be something along the lines of a T2 interdiction launcher that could be fit to a HIC fire a bubble into warp to a set location (bookmark/site/fleet member) at the speed of a probe. Thereby bubbling a location before you could warp to it yourself.

It may bubble your target, it may not, but it would be able to arrive at a location soon after entering a system rather than entering a system and warping to the person yourself. Giving you a greater chance to catch someone. At the same time, being attached to a HIC hull means the attacker is risking more for this greatly increased chance at catching their prey. Give and take.

However, while nullification exists on very fast, combat capable ships don’t count on being thrown many bones in the way of making hunting any easier. If you take a step back and look at how things used to be, you’d realize that was a huge step up on the old ways of hunting ratters.

Yes, especially in nullsec, where you easily can call friends to help you. One way it could be made is, that you only get paid if you stay in an anomaly until it’s completed. Rats are scaling so, you can’t be faster than say 15min. If you leave, the anom goes pop and you lose the tick.

This particularly may not be the best way to address risk/reward, AFK and bots. But it’s the general direction this has to go IMO, if CCP is serious about.

Legit.

Might be onto a winner there in some form or another. I’d have the delay be a bit longer.

In theory this seems like a good idea, but in practice it just leads to d-scan spamming, and also to gatecamps, or at least eyes on the gates. Which I’m not sure are good game mechanics.

1 Like

even without local, youd have someones alt cloaked on a gate watching it, than what, have hunter whine they are being seen coming though a gate so their afk prey gets away?

• remove local (but people can come in a system and open a system chat, without revealing themselve until they speak)
  • remove dscan
  • remove cloak
  • make wrecks probable
  • make relic/data/combat sigs probed by a wreck (that mean you can’t know what’s in a system before you started probing)
  • make probe diameter go twice as small (in terme of diameter : 0.25->1/8, 1/16, etc)
  • but divide probe scan time by two
  • make probes appear on grid when they can pinpoint you.
  • make people warpable without gate check.

Of course its not going away. If it did all the AFK cloaked bots spamming intel (dock up warnings) for both players and bots alike and often to both in game channels as well as external apps would become seriously hindered.

They’d have to at least actually be parked on gates and different points in systems and use overview / dscan data instead.

Can you just imagine the uproar that would cause ? Not to mention the loss of ISK / resources, not the intel bots themselves but all the ones that they have docking up.

Jump gate and close the gate for 1 minute :smiley: ( same dumb idea as remove local)

Actually, you sit on the other side of the gate, not on the system with your ratter. This way you see what lands on gate and have additional advance warning.

Decent enough ship idea.

But the downside should be the ship has no visibility of local either. You don’t show up… but you can’t see it. Your ship is cut off in all ways from local.

Lets be real.

Local in NS largely means only afk players are caught (aside from the rare ship locked in bastion mode).

That’s not an argument against removing Local from NS.

If Local was removed from NS, those afk players would still be afk, and bastioned ships would still also be doing the same.

Existence of Local as is now doesnt stop them afking or going bastion as is.
Rationally, removing Local isnt going to change that.

Always good for lols to see the supposed bad asses from NS protect a seriously care bear advantage. These guys have more BS that DT on Twitter.

popcorn

+1 Remove Local from NS.

I simply don’t agree with your analysis.

If Local is removed from null, I think the same ships won’t be there as targets. You assume the behavior of ratters would be unchanged… I simply don’t think that’s the way it would work. Instead of people acting as if there was never a red in system… people would act as if there were always a red in system. And as others have pointed out… a red AFK cloaked camper tends to shut down ratting for many… you just have the ones prepared for a scuffle who keep at it.

It might create a new meta though. The combat recon ratting ship would be something people would take a look at. I haven’t ever tried but maybe the Rook could turn into a capable d-scan proof ratter.

I, rationally, assume that since they go afk/bastion even with the benefit of Local, they would also do so without it.

I think that ok, since hunters that manage to penetrate into “blue space” also have to extensively d-scan to find targets, just the same as players there have to extensively d-scan to ascertain their safety, if Local is removed.

Are you aware of how difficult it is for a hunter to ascertain the location of a potential target communicated even by Local? Its not as easy as you think. Knowing someone is there, doesnt mean you can find them without effort, let alone catch them before they run off.

This isnt helped by the fact, that Local mechanics report an incoming gate jumper once they initiated jump, thus well before they even actually arrive in system.

Assuming you mean they would dock.

Honestly, if people only play when there is no chance of PvP then they are at least in the wrong area and arguably in the wrong game.

1 Like

You don’t have to jump gates to access ns systems…

Wouldn’t affect us. We keep cloaky eyes on gate, the moment someone hears the gatefire they know you’re there and you’re reported in intel.

If we can fight you we will, but we aren’t going to be fighting you in pve ships.

CCP has also sad that while they did not intend for local to be free intel, they do not want to remove the intel outright. Some level of intel is intended.

I could see CCP moving some of the value of a site to a site completion “bonus.” I’d have no problem with that, but all that does is reduce the income until they go back and finish it, it doesn’t exactly punish them for warping out which is a ridiculous thing to expect someone not to do when these sites take specialized fits to complete.

Now if you want to completely rework/lower rat damage and require them to be pointed or they warp off such that the ships participating in ratting are also capable of pvp combat, then you may find more people willing to stick around. Mind you I say more, not nearly all, as some people will just always refuse to fight if the odds aren’t in their favor as they should.

My point is, punishing people for docking is stupid and there’s no way you can’t read that to yourself and think it doesn’t sound as dumb as it is. What you want is a rework of the hunter vs ratting mechanics. You could care less how much money they actually make - your goal is disruption. Since you are failing to get a kill mail do to whatever shortcoming you have, you want them to suffer financially in addition to what being forced to dock causes. So it comes down to selfish desires of wanting a kill mail from an easy target and since you can’t, you feel they should suffer additional spurious losses.

If you wanted to make a case for people appearing in local before they see themselves in local you could have case to fix that delay. But the whole remove local just makes things harder for the hunter as much as it does the ratters/probers/miners/etc. And if you think about it for half a second, aside from entry via WH, it actually favors the people living there far more than the hunters themselves due to other means of gathering intel.