🔴 Log Off to Character Selection screen implemented

This isn’t new. It was an option back in the days, the it was removed…

Before CCP added the launcher, eve had two logout options like now. ‘log out’ option restarted the Eve client so it returned you to the login screen.

And all they needed to do to make the return to character selection happen was to restore this old option. Now the launcher does the login prompt, so Eve client starts at the character selection screen and the old style restart does exactly this.

1 Like

It didn’t return you to the login screen. It restarted the client. There’s a difference between the two. A fairly significant one, with the way it worked.

With the way authentication works, the token used to auth you would, most likely, be expired. The launcher would have to give you a new one to get you in.

2 Likes

Steve is correct. It NEVER allowed you to stay within the client and go back to character selection. The game didn’t have a launcher back then, just a log in front for the client, but you did have to log in again in order to change character.

No you didn’t, not for the first year or two / three.

And by all accounts, buggy as hell :wink:

:red_circle: Typical CCP work quality but at least they did something other than completely screw up.

1 Like

MCT should include logging in all 3 character slots… assuming the +2 were MCT’d.

1 Like

Heresy!

:red_circle:

It’s actually cheaper to run 3 omega accounts instead of 1 omega with 2 MCTs active in most cases (excluding the rare sale like the current one) so if you want to log in 3 characters at once, there you go.

What we should be asking is why would anybody pay $20/mo for an MCT slot when they could just have a 2nd or 3rd account at $15/mo… and be able to log all on at once.

Am I really that stupid and bad at economics and logic, or am I right?

Yes, but when the alts are finished training (because they have a limited use like scout, industrialist, PI, or trader) then you can stop paying the MCT and get full use out of them, but only paying for one account. The other guy is still paying for three - or they become alphas.

–Gadget just trains everything…

3 Likes

i think is a generation thing but it took 1000 years to make this button , me , use it , thats all right, ty ccp …mate :smiley:

Which is why I said ‘if you want to log in 3 characters at once’ :stuck_out_tongue: If you don’t, MCT is more cost-effective for short-term skills training needs.

Edit to add: In case you hadn’t seen it, I was responding to a specific player - not making a general use statement.

We already know that, actually. Well, not in perfect detail, because then they’d have to explain the source code. What we do know though, is that the code was so intertwined with your character being logged in, that it apparently wasn’t possible to do this without literally months worth of rewriting the code.

Considering that we know that they’ve been at this for years now,
and considering that they’ve announced the end of the “bulk loading” window at login,
I guess it means they’ve finally worked themselves through it.

Through it, assuming that “logging in” was literally the root of everything,
which I tend to believe based on the tidbits we’ve gotten to know over the years.

At least it seems logical.

vOv

I’d say you went into the right direction,
but didn’t spend enough time on it,
thus you didn’t go deep enough.

Many people consolidated accounts when MCT got introduced.
I remember it causing a drop in player count.

There’s more to it than just “having a character somewhere”. It’s also about organisation and cost. When I don’t need to use/skill both at the same time, then I do better with both chars on the same account. A second account is only then required, when I wish to use/skill both chars at the same time. Otherwise it’s unnecessary.

As we can now skill two characters on one account at the same time, many people moved some alts from one account to another. It’s also a cost saving measure. You sub only one account. When you only need to be able to use/skill one of the characters at a time, then subbing the second account is a waste of money.

2 Likes

For some reason people believe this to be a thing, but it really wasn’t. They exist on reddit too, where they’re met with the same responses over and over again.

Dig through your memory: You always had to log in again.

Always.

There’s a reddit thread full of this.

decade, try almost since the game was made. very early it had the ability ive been told but ive seen the request since 2005 and even the devs give the excuse “it would take a handful of devs 6 months for a 15 sec advantage”

Yup,

I also can’t remember it being in there in beta but then I can’t remember very much of beta other than cascading error messages.