Looking for Guide on Fitting out the Nereus Hauler

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find a guide to fitting out the Nereus Hauler? Just a general all round fitting for a new player will do. Most of the guide I find assumes the viewer knows all the abbreviations, and game lingo. The presenters talk extremely fast and whiz their mouse around which might be ok for players who have been playing for years.

What I am looking for is a basic step by step guide presented at a reasonable pace that assumes the newbie knows nothing of the game.

A how to Eve blog with pictures with a step by step guide to fitting ships out would be frigging awesome.

Donā€™t suppose there is anything like that about is there?

1 Like

The problem with your question is that there is no ā€œproperā€ way to fit any ship. Any ship can have many viable fittings available depending on the intended role. There might be some general guidelines but no ā€œyou must fit this ship that way or elseā€.

For the ā€œlingoā€ problem: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/EVE_Lexicon
Some basic fits (not perfect and some may be outdated): https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Nereus/Fittings

1 Like

I understand that varied fittings can be done in a way to specialize in one area. I am speaking in general terms for a new player is all.

In that light, I see no problem with my question, but understand your meaning.

Thanks for the links. They look good.

Cheers.

1 Like

My only suggestion is to make sure that you fit for tank over cargo space, and to not load everything you own into it at once.

1 Like

If you join our Elite Alpha help chatroom in game you can find basic ship fittings for new pilots.

Just open the chat channels list on your screen and type elite alpha into the search box.

1 Like

I think it would be better if answers came from an industrialist, rather than someone who is not.

Next time, leave it to us rookie helpers. Weā€™re good at what we do.

trolling forums?

Nereus is a great ship - I flew one before graduating to its big brother Viator.

Start with the job you want to do. That will determine the cargo capacity and how many slots you have left for other stuff.

Once you know how many slots youā€™l need for cargo, look at your tank. Pirates/gankers can shoot at you any time, for any reason so I like to fit my haulers with a buffer tank that has a reasonable chance of surviving 1 shot from a Tornado - you usually wonā€™t get a chance to turn on active modules and the Nereus is agile enough, they rarely get a second shot. In highsec, youā€™ll be warping between stations and gates - not much use for a propulsion module (i.e. afterburner). Also be careful with the value of your cargo - 100 million is the maximum you should consider carrying in a T1 industrial.

A fit that Iā€™ve used for level 3 & 4 distribution missions when boosting standing for my industrial characters:

[Nereus, Nereus fit]

Damage Control II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Inertial Stabilizers II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II
EM Ward Amplifier II
Thermal Dissipation Amplifier II

[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Medium Cargohold Optimization II
Medium Cargohold Optimization II
Medium Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

You can back off to T1/meta modules if you donā€™t have the skills/budget. My Alpha character can fly this ship so it isnā€™t too skill intensive. 8K M3 is enough cargo for distribution missions and the hyperspatial rig adds a nice speed boost.

Good luck.

Edit: the Exoplanets Hunter SKIN looks great on the Gallente industrials and is very inexpensive. Currently about 250K ISK for the Nereus in Jita.

1 Like

I am an industrialist, and used to be a regular poster in hereā€¦

The Nereus is my hauler of choice, however the fits I use generally require fairly high skills, hence I didnā€™t post one.

@Dman-1969_Kynaston you can check out the Community Fittings subforum for fittings suggestions, they also carry a small description of itā€™s purpose and they can be flown by anyone :wink:

That sounds like good advice as well. Iā€™ll start looking into how to ā€˜fit for tankā€™ over cargo space today as whilst I understand why your saying it, I am unsure of what slots I would need to replace.

I am thinking the lower slots as those seem to be the only ones where I can add 'cargo expanders?" That is to say if the same fitting principles apply to the hauler as the do the miner.

1 Like

Now that sounds like a plan. Does it use pictures though?

I hate to admit is, but I struggle with online chat because of learning difficulties. The multitasking is extremely hard for me as to the pressure to reply withing a certain time. (I am slow and frustrate others by being so) Then I get frustrated not being understood. I also find a lot of the one line answers fall short - example ā€œJust right clickā€ But that is too hard to explain and I am not meaning to blame others.

I guess what I am saying is that I have legit issues with using online chat. Not unless someone is patient enough to use PM and just hope for the best.

Thanks for the offer though, Unless there are pictures, I struggle very much, Iā€™ll put it down to ADHD, Dyslexia with some ASD traits. Iā€™ll work it out though, Thx again for that offer with ingame chat,

1 Like

I can see you put a lot of thought into that. Thanks Heaps!
It will take a while to reach those lvls without PLEX or so I assume ā€¦ but very glad I have a base to follow.

Thanks Do Little. :wink:

SWEET ā€¦ I like the skins idea and even more that now I know I can use ISK. Destination Jita it is!!!

Iā€™ll take your word for it.

This is one of the fits I use, mainly for hauling through chokepoints, keep the cargo below 100M in value and nobody gives you a second glance as youā€™re not profitable to kill.

The Luggage (Nereus)
Damage Control II - boosts hitpoints
Reinforced Bulkheads II - boosts structure hitpoints
Reinforced Bulkheads II
Inertial Stabilizers II - reduces inertia, helping you align faster
Inertial Stabilizers II - swap for an Expanded Cargohold if you need a little more capacity

Kinetic Deflection Field II - increases your resistance to kinetic damage
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II - nice resistance boost across the range
Thermal Dissipation Amplifier II - increases your resistance to thermal damage
EM Ward Amplifier II - not really needed for hisec, increases your resistance to EM damage
Large Shield Extender II - boosts shield hitpoints

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I -boosts shield hitpoints
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

The module listed as not really needed for hisec is optional for filling a resist hole when doing courier missions etc, gankers after your cargo will generally be doing kinetic or thermal damage.

The structure reduction from fitting a cargo expander is more than compensated for by the damage control and the bulkheads. All of the modules can be swapped out for tech 1 or meta items depending on your skills and needs.

Absolutely no problem. If you want help just send me an in game mail and Iā€™ll send u answers to your qā€™s.

1 Like

Thatā€™s very kind of you. TY ā€¦ will do a search. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d swap kinetic resistance module for 2nd LSE and bulkheads for PDS - more total EHP and better passive regen. And swapping Inertia stabilizers for more cargo will affect your tank way less compared to bulkheads. EM resistance is needed in case you are ganked by tornadoes or thrashers.

Doubt.

Thereā€™s many ways of fitting the thing, my fits work for what I use it for; when I say my hauler of choice itā€™s what I use when I haul, courier contracts are what I use for long trips or hub hauling.

If fit works - its fine but it doesnā€™t mean there cant be any improvements to be made. Btw, Wreathe is better than Nereus at everything hauling-related(including cargo capacity) except for hull tank and drones but we arent talking about combat fits. Badger is even tankier but slower version of both with larger cargohold.