LUMEN: Bad Medicine

I, Nauplius, Doctor of the Faith for the Amarrian Orthodox Church, Sedevacantist do hereby accuse LUMEN of practicing Bad Medicine.

Several weeks ago, LUMEN obtained possession of patient @Yun-Hee_Tight-lips_Yubari, who had suffered a traumatic brain injury. Since then, Miss Yubari has languished in the LUMEN infirmary, making little to no progress toward being cured. She lies all day in bed, and when woken by visitors can only offer mostly non-meaningful one or two word sayings.

Why is Miss Yubari not improving? Because LUMEN’s brain injury protocol appears trapped in the Stone Age. They apparently believe in allowing brain injury to heal on its own, without the use of brain surgery or transcranial microcontrollers (much less subcranial nanocontrollers, should some be found). Following LUMEN’s primitive brain injury protocol, Miss Yubari’s recovery will take years if she even recovers at all — a problem since on my first visit she was clearly upset and agitated by her condition.

I, Nauplius, demand that if LUMEN refuses to follow modern Amarrian brain injury protocols, Miss Yubari be turned over to the Amarrian Orthodox Church, Sedevacantist, where twelve elite scientists will perform the most advanced brain surgeries and stuff her brain with the most advanced transcranial microcontrollers (or subcranial nanocontrollers, should some be located). Even so, may the True Emperor come quickly. Amen. Amarr Victor.

There is not enough popcorn in the cluster for this one.

3 Likes

I do concur that the highest standard of care should be sought for all medical patients. Alas, I have seen no evidence that your proposed methods would serve Miss Yubari better than those currently being employed by LUMEN’s medical team.

Perhaps you would be willing to submit yourself to LUMEN’s care as a trial patient for the use of invasive brain surgery procedures?

1 Like

No, but I am willing to supply any number of slaves to serve as practice patients for the extremely advanced brain surguries that Yun-Hee deserves.

The fact that you think that sounds like a good or even a workable idea says so many things, Mr. Nauplius.

… So many sad, awful things.

2 Likes

I don’t understand. Surely LUMEN’s doctors are so good that keeping their brain surgery skills sharp by practicing on slaves wouldn’t actually harm the slaves, right? Harm them much, at least.

If not, maybe LUMEN needs some better brain surgeons.

All surgeries bear some inherent risk, no matter how good the doctors are. Doctors also, as a rule, tend to have a professional code of ethics that involves not subjecting people to unneeded medical treatments.

That said, certainly it is important to practice one’s skills as a physician. However, in this sort of context, I have not seen any case where it has ever been needed, in order to gain skills or keep them in good practice, to operate on a healthy live patient for whom surgery is not medically indicated. That is not to say that it would be impossible for such a situation to be without medical value, but that in practical experience, such a situation is not really seen. If such a situation were to happen, it would of course only be ethical to use subjects who had volunteered with full and informed consent that was not coerced. Slaves, of course, cannot provide such consent.

I have not reviewed the specifics of this particular case, so I cannot comment on the specific details. Obviously if I were privy to the specific details of this particular case, then confidentiality would prevent me from saying much. As it is, I can only speculate, and more often than not, public speculation by people uninvolved in the particulars of the case, even if they are subject matter experts – and while as a medic who served for many years in the Amarr armed forced, I am very familiar with TBIs, I am hardly an expert in brain surgery or long term care for TBIs – is usually not at all productive. I will say only that yes, if the injury is severe, brain surgery is often indicated for several reasons, and if there is long term damage that is not healing well via conventional techniques, TCMC can be a very viable option, this was one of the uses for which they were originally developed before they unfortunately began to be used as an ethically dubious means of controlling slaves. The fact that her doctors have apparently not used either of these methods suggests that there is some contraindication, as I know the doctors attending to Ms. Yubari are talented and capable individuals who are the model of the medical profession, and will employ the best methods to restore their patient to health, with regards both to safety and efficacy, while also respecting the wishes of the patient.

3 Likes

Consent? What are we, Gallenteans? No, we are a feudal slave state (the only socio-political system in keeping with the Scriptures) with slave breeding facilities all over our space. I don’t ask the consent of slaves before ordering them to wash dishes; nor do I ask their consent before sending them to LUMEN’s infirmary where I hope someone has the sense to use them as organ donors or for surgery practice. I even conditioned them with brainwashing and TCMCs into thinking this is a good idea so as to make using them as easy as possible for LUMEN. Sadly, LUMEN is failing to use all the resources available to it in curing Yun-Hee.

1 Like

Well I wish her a speedy recovery with a minimum amount of mind control.
She seems nice.

1 Like