Main AFK cloaky thread

See, that actually is interaction.

Not only that, but it introduces an element of risk in that with enough effort the path between safespots can be guestimated, drag bubbles dropped, and at the very least the cloaker had to do something in response to the people hunting them.

1 Like

Only in the most meaninglessly over-literal sense of the word. It is an “interaction” that is functionally identical to what you call “not an interaction” in the current game. You can have the exact same experience against an AFK cloaked ship right now. Drop probes, press “scan” as quickly as possible, and then go do something else when you get tired of it. From your point of view the experience is exactly the same. The only difference is whether or not the other player is pressing a button while producing the exact same experience for you, something that is invisible from your point of view.

Not only that, but it introduces an element of risk in that with enough effort the path between safespots can be guestimated, drag bubbles dropped

It does no such thing. The evading ship can make new safespots faster than you can find them and will never warp back to an old one. Your bubbles will never be on the same grid as the ship, no matter how hard you try. The risk involved is on the same level as the risk currently involved with AFK cloaking. Sure, your cat could walk across the keyboard while you’re AFK and press the cloak button, but that doesn’t stop you from calling it 100% safe.

and at the very least the cloaker had to do something in response to the people hunting them.

So what? If the experience is exactly the same for you in both situations why does it matter how many times per hour they press a button? Either you’re insanely obsessed with this abstract principle of button pressing or you’re making up nonsense arguments as a pretense of legitimacy over your real goal: making it impossible to keep your name in local while AFK and making local a 100% accurate warning of a potential threat so that RMT farming becomes essentially 100% safe.

2 Likes

I will never ever understand hardcore NullBears or the WormBears that want to farm sleepers 3+ hours every day until they get sieged by HK.

Easiest way to deal with this is give the cloak a fuel limit (as in make it use fuel )and limit the ability of the covert ops vessils to carry vast amounts of it . Say 1hr fuel limit with the capacity to carry another 2hrs worth tops . This would solve the problem of AFK cloakers as they would have to refuel . Or you could make it so the cloak builds up radiation of some kind that eventaually generates a sig the you can warp to and the ship becomes lokable .Their are some reasonable solutions to this that dont nerf the cloaky element of the gameplay

3 Likes

AFK cloaky camping violates two CCP principles:

1. You shouldn’t ever be 100% safe when undocked.
  2. You should be active and at your keyboard when impacting game play.

Not dealing with cloaky camping is hypocrisy on the part of CCP.

Make the cloak act like EVERY OTHER activated module, and give it a cycle time, and a 10 second cooldown before reactivating.

Problem solved.

2 Likes

agreed i would still make it use fuel or give a really long cooldown. BUt the problem with a long cooldown is it would nerf legite cloaky tactics on small and large engagements for fleet fights

:popcorn: Oh this is going to be fun

A) Both ideas have been suggested before and shot down for nerfing cloak-usage beyond just AFK-cloaking.

B) AFK-cloaking and local-intel are tied together. To fix one of them, you have to change the other too to keep things balanced.

2 Likes

Both of your suggestions do exactly that.

Citation needed…

1 Like

First off, I’d like to see this Mission Statement you’re quoting, where CCP said they believe you should never be 100% safe undocked, or you should always be active at your keyboard. Because… it seems like those aren’t true. There are no AFK timers that kick you offline. And there have been Cloaks and POS bubbles and Deep Safes since… forever.

They aren’t impacting “the game”, they’re impacting your weak-willed psychology. If they’re asleep in a solo CovOps frigate, they cannot hurt you. If they’re scouting, then they aren’t AFK. If they’re getting ready to light a Cyno and hot drop your ass with a fleet of Titans, then they aren’t AFK.

But seeing a name AFK in Local is making you piss your pants and cower like a chump.

The biggest takeaway is that @Hefalumps is deathly afraid of AFK names in chat. And that we should hire as many CovOps to follow them around and just… linger in system playing Hide and Go ■■■■ Yourself.

As for your “solutions”… What other modules run for a single cycle and then cooldown for 10 sec? Compared to how many modules can run repeated cycles until you decide to turn it off.

I said a long time ago, they should let us use Combat Probes to get somewhere vaguely close to the Cloaky guy’s grid. And then they should give us an old module that used to exist in the database, a kind of Smartbomb which was just for decloaking ships in range. Then you have to hunt down the Cloaky guy yourself, no freebies.

2 Likes

Just ignore the cloaky camper and go about your business.
Problem solved.
The small chance of maybe losing a ship won’t be the end of the world.

How would giving it an hours worth of fuel nerf cloaky engagements . You could still keep elements cloaked up on gates or fleets and decloak as needed. THe only difference being you would need to watch you fuel consumption and use it wiselY. iNSTEAD of being perma cloaked you would have to cloak when a neut enters local . It would force you to pay attention and be at the keyboard to some degree. IF ITs lowsec just but fuel in a station and every now and again go get it to refuel if its null do the same

1 Like

You forget wormholes. You cannot always be within reach of a fuel-refill. It would break wormhole-space scouting and intel-gathering. Don’t try to nerf the module to fix a single non-issue.

2 Likes

Ughhh why are people so stubborn they keep saying they’re not hurting anyone but they know that’s wrong. Certain operations rely on knowing what’s nearby and leaving a potential tackle cyno cloaked at any point of interest is clearly hurting. Local exists, ignoring cloaked afks never turns out well. Tell me when was the last time you ran any real pve with an undocked neut in system you didn’t have eyes on without a super crew watching your back? You can take an unfit proteus and cloak it in any populated system and suddenly all pve stops. There should be a way to find them or otherwise stop the potential threat just like any other hull.

1 Like

They aren’t hurting anyone. RMTers and renter trash are not people, they don’t count.

Certain operations rely on knowing what’s nearby

And those “certain operations” are two things: RMTers and renter trash. Neither of them gets any sympathy, and AFK cloakers hindering such pathetic failures is a feature that should be celebrated.

ignoring cloaked afks never turns out well

Only if you are a RMTer and/or renter trash. Strong alliances can ignore AFK cloakers because they never present weak targets for the AFK cloaker to engage. Doing anything but sitting cloaked in a safespot will promptly result in a dead ship, so why pay attention to it?

Tell me when was the last time you ran any real pve with an undocked neut in system you didn’t have eyes on without a super crew watching your back?

The last time I did any PvE. Unlike you I know how to protect myself and avoid being an easy target.

You can take an unfit proteus and cloak it in any populated system and suddenly all pve stops.

Then the inhabitants of that system should stop being such utter failures. We shouldn’t be nerfing AFK cloaking in this situation, we should remove local so that the RMTer/renter trash inhabitants of that system ragequit and GTFO EVE.

1 Like

If you’d have ever used a cloak, you’d understand. But obviously you haven’t and thus you have no business commenting about how to “fix” a module that doesn’t need fixing. Want to have a discussion? Educate yourself first.

2 Likes

You were already told in your whine thread that you’re wrong and that the only hypocrite around is you, that is crying for 100% bot safety.

To point 1: POS bubbles, deep safes, mwd’ing interceptors in deep safes, tethers.
All those are in space, all those provide perfect safety. But of course those aren’t any risk to you, hence you’re not crying about them, but only local. Retarded hypocrite.
Let alone that cloaky camping is only 100% safe as long as you

• keep moving on-grid
  • never leave the grid you’re on

In other words: Be completely and utterly harmless. Leave the grid and you risk losing your ship.

To point 2: They are not impacting game play. That’s literally what a cloak does. It makes your ship invisible, at the expense that you can not interact with the game world around you. To do that again, one has to decloak and is then at risk with the same rules of engagement as everyone else, in a wildly inferior ship.

So no, they don’t “violate” those principles, it’s just your intellectual inferiority and lack of education and knowledge that make you falsely assume that.

Also, since you’ve shown in your whine thread that you have zero clue what “analogy” and “bot” actually mean:

Go and educate yourself, kid. You badly need it.

2 Likes

That’s weird, I have NEVER had any problems with any afk ship (cloaked or not). Seriously, never once has an afk shot at me, bumped me, even looked at me funny!!!

Why don’t you admit, its not about afk, it’s all cloaking you want nerfed because you cant stand a ship that you believe you cant catch.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:
Cloaked Ship = removed from local.
Cloaked Ship = unable to see local.
Drop cloak to do anything, fire probes, check local, dock, use warp gate, get too close to an asteroid = appear in local for 15-30 sec.

Makes AFK Cloaking pointless.
Cloakers need to be very active to gather intel.
Ratters need to be more observant of whats going on around them.
System ‘owners’ need to protect their systems.
Botters can be caught.

1 Like

People scout for hours whilst actively cloaked. Explore for hours. Or go into worm holes for days without resupplying.

You’re asking for the broader applications of cloaks to be nerfed because you’re trying to live where you don’t belong. Can’t handle the heat? Get out of the fire. (go back to high sec).

3 Likes

People do run pve with hostiles in system. I did when i lived in null…

You’re not thinking about how it’s possible to rat in groups whilst in a standing fleet with pvp fits. You’re not thinking about how cloakers are mostly afk and you can make more than your fleet is worth in between the cloakers attacks.

If your ratting completely shuts down because of one guy in local it would suggest you probably shouldnt be in null. But that’s ok, you can rat in hi-sec.

2 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes