Main AFK cloaky thread

I SEE YOUR point with wormholes. The only thing i could think off is give every wormhole an ice anom with the fuel in it

It’s not just WH’s where you use cloaks, it’s literally everywhere. And there are no problems anywhere else except where the Null ratters are. This should be a hint at where the problem lies.

In terms of introducing ice-anoms into WH’s, that then knocks on to fuel production. We’d love to cut down our logistics on that in WH’s, but we also see how unbalancing to that area of the economy this would be.

4 Likes

This is not a fix… it just creates more problems. How is a cloaker supposed to spend possibly days stalking and gathering intel on his WH targets, if he has to go mine an ice anom every hour. Not to mention how tight it is to fit a covert ops, without having to find room for an ice mining module.

Not to mention having to reprocess the ice into the right fuel, etc…

3 Likes

I simply cannot believe how often this discussion happens, and how long it goes on…

If someone is (A)way (F)rom their (K)eyboard, then they are no threat to you. There is no player operating the controls, so the cloaky name in Local is harmless.

If they are stalking you, preparing to attack or light up a Cyno or whatever… then they are not AFK. They are playing the game.

So… AFK Cloaks are harmless. And threatening Cloaks are working as intended. And if you’re worried about telling the difference between the two… Good! That’s working as intended as well.

/thread

1 Like

It would take me 691 minutes to read all the replies here

I’ll just say that cloaks are fun unless they’re against you. But then again they can’t harm you if you can’t harm them :smiley:

I’ll sum it up for you:

• One side whining about how they can’t bot / RMT in perfect safety at all times
  • The other side trying to educate the whiners about basic game mechanics

There. That’s basically the entire thread.

2 Likes

How surprising lol

It reminds me of any ganking thread lol

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just the same here. Just about those evil bogeyman afk cloakers instead of gankers and the ones whining here are generally more dumb and self-entitled than those whining about ganking.

3 Likes

Afk cloaks seem to be terrifyingly effective…

4 Likes

Oh they are… I know a guy afk cloaking in Goon space and the sheer amount of tears he’s harvesting there make it worth it all on its own. The loot and killmails are just the icing on the cake.

2 Likes

Not true though is it, that much is obvious.

I’ve had to remove a number of posts from this thread.

Keep it civil or lose your ability to post.

Cheers.

• F

AFK cloaking as opposed to cloaky camping is first and foremost a method of psychological warfare, right?

It is certainly more common to find hybrid forms in which AFK cloaking is used to tear down the opponents care/cowardice and as that, it is an effective counter to ratters warping off to the safety of Citadels whenever a neutral enters system.

In its pure version however, when there is no intention to hotdrop/tackle anyone, afk cloaking has the goal to attack the players mind, be the constant drop of water on his or her head, make them feel paranoid and go insane.

Alas, there is a simple counter to that: close your local chat and pretend you are in J-space.

I’ve never had any issues with cloaky camping (counterdrop ftw) but I wanted to point out that pretending K-space is J-Space is unwise.

In J-Space you won’t get hot-dropped. You control the holes and their only option for surprise buttsex is whatever cloaky fleet they brought with them before you were watching the hole.

In K-Space, getting tackled means a cyno going up and a fleet from… somewhere… jumping on you.

Again, not against cloaky camping, I partake myself and when we get camped we just kill the campers. But your counter is a poor fit.

2 Likes

I… I am so going to copy this!

Thanks!

1 Like

i would counter that in K-Space if you want to make the claim that a system is ‘yours’ because your Alliance owns that area or you rent the system, then you should control the entry points to that system. Demanding changes to the game because an unknown in local is forcing you to dock up is not really taking ownership of that system.

Saying that, I dont really know the mechanics of a Hot drop, is there time between cloak dropping and lighting up the cyno, for the resident to attack the paper thin cloakie ship?

It depends on the hunter, the victim, the blops pilot (open bridge) and the lemmings (that have to jump).
Basically, if the victim is flying something that is fairly fast at locking a bomber and is paying attention, he can blow possibly blow him up before any hotdrop ship lands on grid. If the hunter is in a force recon or t3, they have a 5-second targeting lock after decloaking where they can’t lock anything up. 5 seconds is more than enough time for the victim to just warp away. No decent hunter would ever light the candle without having point first, as the entire bridging thing takes a few seconds all on its own (open bridge after cyno went up, jump ship, load grid, …) and if the victim just warps away, all you did was burn through fuel.

So even if a cloaky magically appears next to you out of nowhere, you still can get away in almost every case, provided you’re good enough at the game and pay attention. But if you aren’t, well, then write whine posts on the forums.

1 Like

Also I’ve yet to see the details of the game mechanic that actually forces these people to dock up when an unknown shows up in local. Is it like a CCP enforced fleet warp and dock or something?

2 Likes

No but i bet they’d love that. Means they don’t have to keep an eye on local.