Main AFK cloaky thread

With a null static, I poke my head out and say hello. It’s the neighborly thing to do.

Assume we talking about wormhole space here, not known space with local. Adding a limitation to the number of dscan pings a person can make while cloaked would add a great degree of strategic play to cloaked hunting (and being hunted) and would be great for expanding the niche of the dscan immune recon ships.

I removed many spam posts.

6 Likes

I think the main problem is the level of effort.

• A cloaky camper has 0 risk of getting caught
  • Cloaky campers can know exactly where their target is in a system
  • Cloaky campers choose the time of the fight
  • A single camper can bring in dozens of friendlies in seconds
  • Cloaky campers can also direct friendlies into a very narrow range (vs having to cover any given system)
  • Cloaky campers know how their targets are fit and how to counter them

There really just needs to be increased risk and cost to doing it.

Then perhaps the people on the other side should put some effort into active defense (standing fleets, hot drops of their own), instead of passively farming like it’s highsec and then whining on the forums when they inevitably die. The only thing preventing cloaking from being a choice between sitting AFK doing nothing for the rest of eternity or committing expensive suicide is carebears refusing to be a PvP threat.

1 Like

Likewise for local.

All you have to do to know that a hostile is in system is glance at local, from anywhere in system. Even docked up.

When knowing who is in system has increased risk and cost, then you can do something about cloaks.

• A cloaky camper has 0 risk of getting caught - at the expense of being in a paper thin covert ops vessel with a high slot taken up by a cloak module
  • Cloaky campers can know exactly where their target is in a system - thats the point of a cloak, and if they have spent time tracking their target, then thats intel they’ve earnt.
  • Cloaky campers choose the time of the fight - anyone who starts a fight, chooses the time of the fight
  • A single camper can bring in dozens of friendlies in seconds - as can anyone if they fit their ship for it.
  • Cloaky campers can also direct friendlies into a very narrow range (vs having to cover any given system) - again, this is scouting. Also you can direct your friendlies directly to where you are if you are in trouble.
  • Cloaky campers know how their targets are fit and how to counter them - and how does he know? by spending time scouting and monitoring his target. Its intel earnt through work.

It seems to me you just want to nerf cloaks to lower your level of effort to counter them.

4 Likes

Another high slot gone in the paper thin ship, plus with cloak, cyno and probe launcher, may need a low slot for a CPU boost

Must stand still in plain site while cyno is up, no cyno while cloaked

Not to mention all the skills that go with all these modules

Not too mention this ship is fodder at every single gate it uses

What I’m saying is that the level of effort for cloaky camping is virtually nothing compared to maintaining a 24/7, 30+ man defense fleet that can respond within seconds. How many Corps can afford to do that? And what kind of player would enjoy sitting around waiting for something like that?

Cloaky camping has all the advantages at very low cost.

All the ones that aren’t trash. You’re not entitled to nullsec farm space. If you can’t defend it, you don’t deserve it.

1 Like

CCP was wise enough to put timers on structures – they know that it’s not reasonable to expect Corps to have that kind of constant and instant coverage on every system they control.

Structures are passive. Players are not. You’re trying to compare apples with oranges here.

You don’t need those 30+ for the camper.

You need them for the 30+ incoming, but you are ignoring their effort.

I’m not ignoring that effort – I’m saying it is significantly less than having people on standby at all times.

Guard duty is the nature of defense, that can’t be changed, if you are not on duty they are going to fly right through your gates.

Besides with system wide cyno jam who cares?

They face actual risk if they gate. They can roam in and hit stations, camp gates, do whatever – but the defender also has a chance to engage them. I have no problem with that. That should be a typical raid, imo, and that’s the kind of fleet v fleet combat that EVE is famous for.

Again, the problem is that there’s no reasonable counter to cloaky camping with covops cynos and bridging. They face no risk and hold all the cards while the defender has only one extremely expensive option: 24/7 standby fleet.

You just convinced me you are not talking from actual experience.

Bye :rofl:

1 Like

He’s entitled PH trash. That an alliance as big as PH can’t defend its space or keep a standing fleet up… Laughable.

Then don’t farm outside of the times and places you have the strength to protect your farming operations. You aren’t entitled to 23/7 farming at maximum ISK/hour in every system you decide to claim* like it’s highsec.

*You might claim it, but if you can’t defend it then you don’t control it.

The hunter has a fleet ready for when a good opportunity presents itself. If he doesn’t have a fleet ready he won’t attack.
The defenders have a fleet ready for when hunters come knocking. If they don’t, then don’t rat. Or rat, but at least accept you’re going to be vulnerable. You are not entitled to live and play in null.

You’ve probably been promised ‘mad isks’ and ‘null sec is safe’, but the people that told you this forgot to mention that these are earned via hardwork and organisation with other players.

Null-sec is not casual space. For that you’ve got hi-sec.

Yes so long as they do not decloak which means you are safe too.

Only if they are ATK and since this thread is about AFK cloaky campers not a problem.

Once again, only if they are ATK…so irrelevant.

Only if they are ATK so irrelevant.

Sigh…only if they are ATK…

WTF? Really how are they doing this dope?