Main AFK cloaky thread

Neither does your terrible idea for nerfing cloaks.

What if CCP were to introduce a special kind of probe:

• have a very short non-adjustable radius (0.001 AU or ~150 000km)
  • can only be used with expanded probe launchers and max number of probes in launcher/space is 1
  • emits a strong EMP impulse that interferes with cloaks in affected area disabling their use for some duration
  • has some recharge time between impulses (recharge time is longer than cloak disruption time)

While it might not help with finding cloaked things in safe spots (although not theoretically impossible), it will make it possible to discern an ambush in whatever exploration site you have just scanned down if you follow up with combat probes. Or a way to find cloaky observers on the gates…

1 Like

Only if you lack reading comprehension. I do keep trying to copy the text verbatim regarding cloaking and heat, but I can only do so much.
Game mechanic reminder: Heat damage can damage ship mods, thus disabling their activation/bonuses/effects. If a cloaked ship generated minor amounts of heat, extended cloaking imposes a risk of losing the ability to cloak until repairs are made. If you can’t cloak, you can be found. Risk level increases for anything but short term cloaking. More risk will induce more chances for content.
Course I’ve said this before, but if you’re truly unable to understand it (and not just trying to sabatoge the discussion) then please ask for complete step by step details, I’d be happy to oblige.

1 Like

You have already explicitly stated that your proposed mechanic does not create any risk for active cloaked ships, and inactive players will not stay logged in for you to find them. Please stop acting like people will be stupid enough to go AFK while cloaked despite knowing that their cloak will overheat and fail before they can return.

1 Like

IOW, “I don’t like it when PvP threats hide in my PvE site, I want a way to know if a site is safe before I start farming so I can go farm elsewhere if there’s any risk”. So, no.

This is over, they made their decision, local got the nerf, cloaks didn’t.

Cloaking was never going to be nerfed, it has so many users and purposes beyond the narrow discussion in this thread.

4 Likes

you forgot to mention that you do this along side constantly claiming that other people are posting the same counter arguments again and again and that they are wrong to be doing this.

Game mechanic reminder: Heat damage is applied when a pilot Overheats a module. During normal use modules can run permanently given the appropriate cap.

There is always someone who has to feed the troll…

/sigh

1 Like

Well, ya no longer have to worry about a AFK cloaked ship.
They no longer appear in local.
Only 2 classes of ships can fit cyno fields now.

Cloaky Force Recons…

Perhaps introduce an activation delay siminlar to locking when trying to light a cyno after cloaking, only works for the normal cyno

Which is why as a middle ground option that doesn’t change cloaking (but only increases the risk for prolonged cloaking) is what I’ve been arguing for. You do know heat damage doesn’t just apply to an overheated mod, right?
Although as it stands the current mechanics with this purposed change would only affect high slot items, so it’s possible to make cloaking unique and generate heat all over the ship so it properly represents the effect of keeping your ship completely undetectable, by storing/banking heat generated to avoid detection.

And if anyone wants to have a discussion I won’t stop you, but just saying “cloaking idea bad” or “-1” or anything similar just shows there isn’t any reason besides you don’t want your playstyle affected, whatever that unlimited protection in space that playstyle needs.

Course just to drive the point home, here’s the copy pasted idea so those with short attention spans can read it:

Cloaking devices should generate very minor amounts of heat, causing extended cloaking to carry the risk of disabling your mods and putting your ship at risk.
In this way, the hunters can have a chance to find the target, without introducing any changes in how an active player uses the cloaking device, aside from being unable to remain cloaked for an unlimited amount of time.

Outside of WH people that just want to sit there all day cloaked, afk gate watching alts who just stay cloaked, or other afk characters just sitting in space cloaked, there’s no reason put forth that you should be able to stay cloaked and un-engagable for an unlimited amount of time… outside of change bad risk bad don’t change my cloak.

What would needing to pay attention to your cloaked ship do? Sure, you could probably step away for 10-15 minutes easily and come back without worry, but 10-15 hours?
If you need to watch a gate, put up a structure and sit in it.
If you need to sit cloaked in a WH… sorry I can’t really do anything about that. You weren’t supposed to live in WHs anyway.
If you want to sit somewhere else cloaked and watch for targets, you’re just being a lazy ■■■■ and no amount of mental gymnastics will change that.
And if you run into hostiles and want to escape by cloaking up and waiting them out, you still could but not forever. You’d have to risk decloaking and logging off, giving those hunters a chance.

That’s all I really want. It’s just too safe to be cloaked, and with all the players that just do PVP things clamoring on about how they want more danger, more risk, more chaos… to everything but their activities, it’s the textbook definition of a hypocrite.

Reminder that I don’t reply to bots

Jesus Christ on a Goddamn Pogo Stick…

We have the black out…we have incoming cyno changes and yet the whining continues.

Anyone complaining about cloaks, cynos or the like in this thread should be permanently banned from the game for life and the life of the great, great, great grand children.

2 Likes

Troll Feeder!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just give me a way to generate some content by hunting cloaked ships.
It’s not too much to ask in an age of chaos.
Invulnerability states do not allow for gameplay to occur, they just promote laziness. And you lazy hunters give the rest of us a bad name.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing this out. :heart:

Perhaps you should suggest an idea for how this would work? Please don’t repeat the same old terrible idea involving heat that you keep copy/pasting because you have already admitted that it won’t allow you to hunt active players and inactive players will not stay logged in to be hunted.

1 Like

I got an idea, he could go to Tama or camp some gate, join CODE, or look at the map for large concentrations of players in space. :exclamation:

But noooo……

He wants to fly around EMPTY systems and locate cloaked ships he believes (tinfoil hat) are there :crazy_face:

There is no proof these ships even exist. Lets face the facts, these hallucinations may not be something that can be fixed in code. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t like the idea for probes, it’s active… but too active. Cloaking should provide a temporary shelter, just not a permanent one. Can also be used to just 0 probe gates and land a bumping capital, which isn’t ideal gameplay.
But I also don’t like the status quo. It’s not just too safe, it’s baby tier safe.

The heat idea was a middle ground that didn’t change anything. No new mods, no drastic changes, just punished the prolonged cloaker. The guy cloaked for 15 minutes or less? No big deal. 15 hours? Foolish.

Game mechanics as is, only probing allows you to reasonably find a ship in space. I don’t want to create a new mechanic specifically for hunting cloaked ships, but I also don’t want to almost completely remove the safety cloaking provided, otherwise what’s the point?

I mean, you could do it (if you really wanted probes) where normal probes can detected a cloaked ship, but not pinpoint it. You then launch subspace probes or some ■■■■ to finish off the scan. Even then I’m not sure I like it, but something is better than nothing.

Do we need a new ship? New mod? New mechanic? All three? A cloak disable weapon/ewar? What option doesn’t make cloaking useless, but also makes it dangerous?

suggestion
Could the cover ops cloaky module use fuel to work? :smirk:
I do not think it’s necessary
be cloaky all day.

2 Likes