Main AFK cloaky thread

blablabla. Worthless.

2 Likes

This needs to be determined.

What effect?
How is this more of an effect compared to afk ratting or mining. Or planetary interaction?
Why is it bad?

THIS needs to be determined!
This NEEDS to be determined!
This needs to be DETERMINED!

Which one is it?! The lack of emphasis IS KILLING ME! D:
I think itā€™s either the first or the third, BUT I DONā€™T KNOW!

ā€¦ Iā€™m beginning to sound like Solecist. D:

1 Like

IOW, remove AFK cloaking and make it so that local offers a 100% accurate warning of the presence of a potential threat. This would be a massive buff for RMTers and renter trash, so are you willing to accept the removal of local as the price of a cloaking nerf?

3 Likes

yes. i was talking about it further, that removing it - will boost rmtā€™ers , supercap ratters and botters.
so figuring out the change is not an easy one.

edited:
afk - PI - designed afk isk gain activity
afk ratting - you can get caught - use at your own risk
afk ratting using 3rd part software - is against eula :slight_smile:

what I meant under effect while afk - player doesnā€™t do anything in terms of being ingame and creates presence of danger while actually not being there.
donā€™t get me wrong - iā€™m totally in to be under danger.
though compare afk lamp for weeks and cloacky sabre which you know is active and watches out to get your ass. this type of stuff.
and the least thing i wanna get as result - even more bots and rmt :smiley:

ā€“ looking into some sort of expensive, long, detectable way to scan out the lampā€¦or a timer after which it wonā€™t be able to stay cloacked.
constructive criticism?

I still think the easiest/best solution is local. If you cloak you disappear from local and you can no longer interact with local. I never understood how you could cloak and still show up as a presence anyhow. That seemed the broken part for me. How can you hide if your name is plastered all over the place.

2 Likes

Did you actually encounter them though? or did you just feel the

of their presence?

If the latter a simple solution is to minimize local, then you wonā€™t have anything to fear!

What gives you this impression? :slight_smile:

Because the local chat channel providing 100% free & conclusive intel was not the intended use of the chat channelā€¦ and when they did a local nerf people lost their minds.

As I understand things this is because it is/was meant to add to the ā€˜socialā€™ aspect of the game, so you can chat to people that are ā€˜near youā€™ in space.

Oh he posted this earlier in the threadā€¦ I quoted it up there ^^^ itā€™s ā€œdanger timeā€ā€¦ which i think is an awesome nameā€¦

CloakyAFKCamper: Is danger time now?

:smiley:

I think i would like to see thisā€¦ also +1 for the most common sense post in the thread with none.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

Weird how miners donā€™t support the CODE when they are mining, but when someone suddenly use a cloak module the miners start crying about how much they hate AFK gameplay.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t hold your breathā€¦ I have been suggesting this idea for years (I was even posting it on the old forums). Problem is, most of the ā€˜AFK Cloak is badā€™ crowd are really only interested in nerfing cloaks outright to make whatever they want to do even more safe.

Cloak removes players from local (and denies them Local)
If they break cloak for any amount of time they stay in local for a minimum 30 sec then drop out again when they reactivate cloakā€¦

This makes cloaks really cloakie, still gives other players Localā€¦ Makes it pointless to AFK cloak, and makes it so people have to work to both actively hunt while cloaked and pay attention while ratting.

Much like a submarine, the cloaker has to make themselves visible/detectable to gain intel on the local system. He can warp from belt to belt, but if he wants to probe, or check on the local channel (or possibly even dscan) to see how many & where people are in system, then he must break cloak. This gives the residents the time to spot him, if they are paying attention.

Here we make:
AFK-Cloaking pointless
Active Cloakers can catch botters
Even system defenders can use cloaks to hide their defense ships.

4 Likes

:rofl:

ā€˜danger timeā€™ in null sec. How unfair!

3 Likes

Blockquote

• Jint Hikaru
    Much like a submarine, the cloaker has to make themselves visible/detectable to gain intel on the local system. He can warp from belt to belt, but if he wants to probe, or check on the local channel (or possibly even dscan) to see how many & where people are in system, then he must break cloak. This gives the residents the time to spot him, if they are paying attention.*

Kudos to you Sir and +1 to your post!

Submarines donā€™t have to reveal themselves in order to get information on the local system, they can just passively listen - rather like watching local while cloaked, in factā€¦

2 Likes

This thread never ceases to deliver :rofl:

2 Likes

Your submarine analogy is heavily flawed, but I do generally like the idea of removing cloaked players from local like you described.

It would remove weaponized pixel fear as a tactic (which I would miss having), but it would almost certainly produce far more actual fights, so Iā€™m all in favor of it.

1 Like

just remove the local and the problem is solved :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They did, but when they saw how many RMTers quit they got weak kneed and acquiesced to the RMTers.

2 Likes

Yeah I am beginning to regret using that analogy. But glad you like the idea.

1 Like

This issue was posted June 2017 . It is now 2020 and CCP has done 0, nothing squat to address AFK cloaking.

In all that time look at the other things that got the nerf bat. Tell me what kind of game are they trying to make?

This ā€˜issueā€™ as you called was in around the same time they added cloaks. A simple google search will bring you to archives that easily date in the 2006 range.

3 Likes

One in which AFK Cloaking is allowed, obviously.
Next (stupid) question ?

5 Likes