Main AFK cloaky thread

You do know the beast way to deal with cloaky campers is to remove take down what ever structure they are staging from right?

I got a better idea. Remove local and then the cloaky camper wonā€™t have any reason to cloaky camp anymore.

Local is 100% needed, D-Scan and probing are worthless.

If you take away local, Iā€™m quitting. No, you canā€™t have my stuff.

1 Like

I merged a few posts from a General Discussion to this main Thread regarding AFK Cloaking.

1 Like

except safety from local isnā€™t a passive default condition.

It requires player effort and attention. This means that so long as the ship is in open space it is subject to non-consent.

Safety from cloaking is a passive default condition. It requires no effort or attention, and therefore is inappropriate for a ship in open space which should be subject to non-consent.

Bye. Nobodyā€™s going to miss you.

1 Like

Unfortunately the overwhelmingly vast majority of the players have said the same thingā€” thatā€™s why wormholes are the least used area of space despite being an order of magnitude more profitable.

There are a whole lot more differences between w-space and k-space than just localā€¦ You know that, Mike. Once you stop being intellectually dishonest, maybe this discussion can go somewhere.

4 Likes

one of them being that we donā€™t have afk cloakies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which is ruined by localā€¦also the reason why AFK cloaking exists in the first place.

Yup. Warping into an anomaly, seeing that juicy target 100 KM off and slow boating into position can take awhile.

Never said it wasnā€™t; nice non-sequitur. The point is that local enhances your safety while ratting, mining, etc. Cloaking does not let you rat, mine, etc. while cloaked (irrespective of whether you are ATK or AFK).

You mean like the logistical PITA of living in a w-hole?

Gee, I wonder why? :thinking:

If cloaking was designed to make the game better, what would it look like?

What makes a better game? Generally something that gives players what they want (excitement, enjoyment) and rewards skill.

Players want a chance to be able to avoid death through skill, and cloaks deny them most of that chance.

One problem is that cloaking is the main counter to gatecamps. So gatecamps would have to be nerfed ā€“ and no game-design person would have a problem with that.

An obvious nerf to gatecamping would be guaranteed invisibility within 7.5km. So you could align and warp off at will. This wouldnā€™t stop bubbles being placed in line with the gates though.

Back to cloaks. We donā€™t want to eliminate cloaks from the game and they should nearly always provide some advantage. A simple nerf would be a much increased decloak range eg 10km.
I personally think CovOps cloaks are an abomination of game design and should be removed from the game.

Now these changes are going to limit PvP and there isnā€™t nearly enough decent PvP in Eve for those who want it. And because the latter is a separate problem, it can be solved separately.

How do you know a cloaked ship is in system with you?

1 Like

Iā€™m honestly surprised they donā€™t do it in Wormholes too by just speaking constantly. Maybe making noises like the jaws theme musicā€¦

Daaaa bump. Daaaaaaa bump. Daaa bump. Daaa bumpā€¦

By checking local pilots if they are brave or pussies. If local gets removed, then whats the point of sov? Holding a space without reliable intel is bullsh1t. You know how hard and how expensive it is to defend your sov when you are not one of thoose big alliances? It takes alot of time and planning. Afk cloakers are not dangerous, they are just annoying and we donā€™t want so WASTE our time setting up traps for someone who is AFK when we have much better things to doā€¦

Working as intended. You either can hold the space you claimed on your own, or you simply donā€™t deserve having it in the first place. Your entitlement strongly indicates the latter.

2 Likes

We hold our space. What i said was we dont want to waste our time for some afk pussyā€¦ Next time try to read my post.

Then donā€™t. Nobody is forcing you to spend that time.

1 Like

A comprehensive redesign of stealth gameplay to incorporate things like line of sight, using terrain for obstruction, etc. Unfortunately EVEā€™s engine can not support this, so cloaks stay as they are now.

I personally think CovOps cloaks are an abomination of game design and should be removed from the game.

IOW, ā€œmake my farming 100% safeā€. No.

2 Likes

There are only two things that make you 100% safe in eve. Docking up and cloaks.