Main AFK cloaky thread

It takes a huge effort to claim and hold space and tbh being able to get into someone’s space and stay there 100% safe IS the poor design.

What do you want? I said I agree. It should never have happened.

It still takes place at a known point in space and does have some vulnerability attached to it, though I am not a fan of bumping mechanics either.

And you are right, imo it’s worse than cloaks though not nearly as commonly abused. I’m happy saying to get rid of it altogether, while with cloaks all I want is a mechanism that makes hunting them reasonably possible.

Sure they do. A cloak allows you to effectively “pause” the game and store your current ship (an asset), functioning as an equippable mini-station that you can dock in. Why should asset storage via cloak be vulnerable while asset storage via station is not?

but if they stay present then being hunted should be a real danger, just like for everyone else in the game.

Too bad, because you are never going to have that danger without massive EVE-wide changes to align and warp times. Warping to a new safespot is much faster than locating a ship via combat probes and getting tackle, so a player who constantly warps to new safespots faces essentially zero danger. Outside of fluke luck like getting a lag spike that prevents them from warping it is impossible to catch their ship. Your “hunt” has zero chance of accomplishing anything besides forcing the prey to press the “warp” button every X seconds. At no point will you ever get a killmail.

What your demands will produce is not a chance to hunt a target, it is forcing everyone to log off when they go AFK (and can no longer warp between safespots) and making local a 100% accurate indicator of whether or not any potential threats are active in system. This enables risk-free PvE farming because the time required to return to station is much shorter than the minimum delay between a threat appearing in local and potentially getting tackle on a target. You never have to look at local and wonder if a threat is really a threat, or gamble that they aren’t and farm despite the presence of an enemy player in local.

In short, when your proposal has zero chance of creating PvP encounters and delivers a massive increase in safety for PvE farmers it’s pretty obvious what your goal here is. And it isn’t creating a way to kill people.

Why? A player who gets into your space and stays 100% safe is doing nothing while they are in your space. Just ignore them. They are not a threat unless they are vulnerable.

If they do nothing then log them off. There is no such thing as 100% safe pve, but there is a risk free thing in the game that can drop a pvp fleet on you… So much balanced.

No there isn’t. Dropping a PvP fleet on you requires decloaking next to you (and presumably within your weapon range), getting tackle on you so you don’t just warp, and jumping a PvP fleet into a situation where they can easily be counter-dropped and wiped out. There is nothing risk-free about this scenario.

The only way that a cloaked ship in your territory is risk-free is if they are sitting idle in space. No PvP, no PvE, just sitting there. And if all they are doing is sitting there then just ignore them.

1 Like

I’m not after killmails, clearly.

I am after a balanced mechanic, and an end to the horrendous mental gymnastics that passes for “logic” from your side of the aisle.

You want an end to pve activity that only occurs in your absence… so you want to kill people not in space with you, and failing that you cling desperately to having your hand held. Good job, Starkiller!

If they had to warp then they are putting in effort. I’m fine with that. Automating that process is a separate discussion and bannable.

Then what is the point of your proposed mechanic? Satisfying your compulsive need to have the word “balance” applied to it, by your own bizarre definition of the term? If the only change in practical in-game consequences is that PvE farming becomes safer then why do you think it is a good idea?

You want an end to pve activity that only occurs in your absence… so you want to kill people not in space with you, and failing that you cling desperately to having your hand held.

WTF are you going on about with this “not in space with you” idiocy? If a player is not in space then obviously I can’t kill them, but that doesn’t mean that the game should deliver them a 100%-accurate notification the moment I stop actively waiting to kill them and allow them to farm with 100% safety. The PvE farmer should have to face uncertainty about which threats may or may not exist, and decide if they wish to undock. Maybe they guess right and I’m not there, and they get to farm without me attacking them. Maybe they guess wrong and there’s a threat present, and they get attacked.

If they had to warp then they are putting in effort. I’m fine with that.

Again with your idiotic obsession with “putting in effort”. Mindlessly pressing a button is technically effort, but it adds nothing to the game. Thank god CCP is not as terrible at game/interface design as you are.

I was on both sides and when i was in the shoes of the attacker our targets never had any chance to survive… our hunter was actively searching for targets and by the time the target asks for help even on TS, he’s most probably already dead.

1 Like

Firstly CCP have already stated that they won’t address AFK cloaking without adressing local. No gymnastics, just CCP’s view on it.

Secondly do you really believe it is logical to demand a change to a module used in many other areas of the game without issue because you are scared by a name in local?

Then that’s the defender’s fault for being poorly organized. Why was the defender asking for help on TS, rather than immediately lighting a cyno and having friendly ships jumping in as soon as enemy ships appear on-grid? Risk is not negated just because some players are too stupid to defend themselves, and you can’t balance the game based on the assumption that players are idiots.

You think the standing fleet exists only to guard you while you pve? They do their stuff too, you need to ask for help geez or do you ask 20 person to do nothing but waiting for your cyno which maybe will not even happen?

IOW, “defending myself is hard, CCP please nerf PvP so I can farm without disruption”.

Have you ever considered the possibility that successfully exploiting the most profitable PvE content in the game should be incredibly difficult and require a major cooperative investment to farm at maximum efficiency? Of course you haven’t, because you feel entitled to mindless zero-risk farming at maximum ISK/hour.

1 Like

In the space that took countless hours to claim and you still spend countless hours to defend? YES! I want some safety. You need to farm to fund your pvp…

Well, at least you’re honest about feeling entitled to zero-risk farming. Perhaps if your alliance is unable to organize successful cooperative farming operations you should be considered a failure, struggle to fund your PvP, and eventually lose your space?

1 Like

Haha but there is no such thing as zero risk pve, only zero isk afk cloaking in hostile space where you have no right to stay safe even if you dont do anything :slight_smile:

What, are you seriously suggesting that the NPCs have a chance of killing you outside of getting drunk and forgetting that you warped into combat? Because that risk sure isn’t coming from PvP if AFK cloaking is removed without also removing local as an intel source.

Oh yes, yes there is. If the player you’re dropping on is as incompetent as Mike and Ag3nt Jita are, you really are 100% safe. You could tackle them and then go for a ■■■■ and light the candle 5 minutes later when you’re back again, because they’re just so damn incompetent at playing the game :joy:

I was succesful at both avoiding drops/fleets and hunting down targets and i never thought of removing local, because it was not needed. It seems like you are that incompetent hunter… And please grow up already, im pretty sure you are older than me but you act like a 8 years old girl who has been hurt.

To be honest. When i lived in provi. Within blops range of lowsec cloaky camping seemed way way overpowered.

As i learned and moved deeper into nul it seemed more fair. In deep nul away from lowsec cloaky campimg can be mostly solved by killing the campers structures from which they stage.

I will concede that there is a bit of a problem in areas of nul that can be reached from lowsec (and NPC nul to a lesser extent)

I dont know what the solution is but i dont thi k messing witj cloaking mechanics is the answer.

Excuse spelling… these are drunk thoughts