[March] The Monitor Flag Cruiser

Hey Fozzie I love the new ship design, however There is a tactic that may damage the role you are seeking for this ship.

Soft headshoting is using Long range webifiers on the enemy fleet anchor. This slows down the whole fleet and is typically solved by backup anchors, but for small fleets or more greenhorn FCs this may not be viable.

The solution that immediately comes to mind is adding webifiers to the 70% ewar resistance, but this would make the ship basically uncatchable in a solo situation, which I anticipate is a bad thing.

Why should that tactic not work any more? I don’t understand the reasoning here.
I agree that the new ship would not make this tactic go away. I just don’t understand why you were under the impression that the new ship should make that tactic go away.

1 Like

The whole idea behind the new ship is to prevent theese tactics and not end a fleet fight in 3 minutes becasue the FC gets “headshotted” or “soft headshotted” Making a brick wall that can be still slowed down doesnt make any difference.

While yes theese tactics work and are valid and both sides are very much capable of doing them. Just ask this: Whats more thrilling? 3 minutes of losing or killing ships until one side leaves. Or a more prolonged fight where other factors are more decisive than losing an FC or having him unable to fulfill his duties as one.

Carrying on the fight after main fc dies so i wont be frustrated at being in logi/tackle when no one wants to step up?

People losing ships is part of PvP.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome

Seems to me those that think to benefit from this ship can not or will not follow that principle.

3 Likes

Just anchor on someone else then. Spotting things that happen during fight and reacting to them is what makes fights interesting. If you want everyone to just lock up broadcasts and then press F1 you can probably train a chimpanzee to do that. I wouldn’t call that interesting, though.

Edit: Actually, a fleet of chimpanzees would be very interesting. The gameplay maybe wouldn’t, though.

2 Likes

You expect too much from the avarage eve online user ^^.

But one thing is sure. There is no need for this ship at all. And if anything, try and improve the existing command ships. Reduce combat capabilities to prevent them to be solo pvp gods, and add some movement restriction resistances if anything. But not this. This doesnt solve any issue. It would just create even more as players would find a way to use theese ships to abuse game mechanics.

We are talking about COMMAND ships that should COMMAND a fleet ? o.O ? Yet you want a “Monitor” to command the fleet.

Meanwhile we still dont have T2 ammo in Faction modules which were sid to be done 2 xmas before.

3 Likes

So no way to get on killmails? thats silly

https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6901855#post6901855

The community doesn’t care if people get on killmails. Read the replies. :slight_smile:

just because a few loudmouth people dont like them, doesnt mean many many more dont enjoy them. adding a midslot for a target painter or a high that only fits civ guns would be great

I believe I asked for this 5-6 years ago and every year since at the fleet command round table at fanfest. While I am glad its finally made it into the game the lack of probing makes it use limited to non-existent. People will just use legions with MG/HG slaves as they currently are now because probing is so important.It doesn’t need any form of ‘whore’ module because FC’s don’t care about killmails they care about winning.

When I proposed this idea it was pre-tech3 where the only options were the Vulture (which died in a fire) and the godly tanked damnation, then Tech 3 cruisers came out and replaced those as the FC ships. The issue with the Tech 3 cruisers is a FC would die and lose skillpoints and spend all of their time retraining subsystem skills instead of other things that might interest them. You say you don’t want this ship to be the go to FC ship for everything when it wont be because different fleets call for different FC ships, you’re not going to use this ship in a Jackdaw fleet or an inty fleet and who cares if an FC does because it does no damage and would just be a high HP brick on the battlefield to die last.

TL:DR without probes this ship is just a brick.

3 Likes

The ability to mount a Target Painter, maybe range bonuses but that’s it. FCing with no chance to be on a kill mail is not the FCing I’d do.

1 Like

Yeah, the ability to carry around some paste or small bubble or something. Seems strange - even a shuttle has some cargo space, if very limited.

1 Like

Agreed - I was going to suggest a painter with range bonus as well. It seems only right that the person calling the target would paint it for the fleet…

And if we are at that. The Ability to fire multiple AOE Doomsday devices as well.

vs

This seems familiar… like… hmmm…

Nailed it.

Perhaps with would like some ice cream with that cake too?

@CCP

I think the idea of an FC ship would take too much developer resources for the problem and what its worth.
At least in nullsec there are many types of fleets based on doctrines. For example, for a T3 Destroyer doctrine, the Expanded Probe Launcher brings an additional set of tactics to land on an enemy fleet. Doctrine ships are fitted based on defined standards based on speeds that the FC ship, logi, or the mainline ships would fly. In most cases the ship the FC flies is also the type of ship also the fleet flies.

By implementing a “Flag Cruiser”, as you suggested above, you may then be forced to create other FC-type ships for different hull sizes: i.e. destroyer or battleship.

Instead of creating a dedicated FC ship, have you considered a module to replicate the statistics you described above?

The Assault Damage Control you recently created or Assault Ships is an idea in that direction. If you create this as an “FC Module” you can make the reverse of a polarized weapon where you cancel damage and while improving the resists. It can be put into any ship to solve the doctrine issue. The module would need a long cooldown (so as not to be spammed) and would need a status icon in the overview (like the warp scram or ECM) to show the enemy that the FC module is installed an active.

I actually really enjoy having a whore civilian gun for one reason: to look back on the killboards and remember fleet fights. I don’t care about the killboard itself, but it’s fun to look back and be like “Oh, dude, I remember when we took out that carrier they cyno’d on us!”

Can’t do that without a whore module, unless they just start including all fleet members in system automatically. Or if you have a really good memory and know that a particular person was in fleet that day and look up their board (not going to happen).

Okay with all seriousness i think it should be in game and look something like this:

Fittings:

• 7 High slots
    • 5 Launcher slots
    • 2 Turret slots
  • 4 Middle slots
  • 6 Low slots
  • 100 mÂłdrone capacity
    • 50b/w
  • 645 mÂłcargo capacity
  • 3,600 HP Shields
    • 0% Em Resistance
    • 20% Thermal Resistance
    • 70% Kinetic Resistance
    • 87.5% Explosive Resistance
  • 4,700 HP Armor
    • 50% Em Resistance
    • 35% Thermal Resistance
    • 62.5% Kinetic Resistance
    • 80% Explosive Resistance
  • 70.00km max. targeting range
  • 265m Signature radius
  • 150 m/sec max. velocity

Ship Bonuses:

• Command Ships bonuses (per skill level):
    • 10% bonus to ship armor hitpoints
    • 10% bonus to Heavy Missile and Heavy Assault Missile damage
    • 3% bonus to Armored Command and Information Command burst strength and duration
  • Amarr Battlecruiser bonuses (per skill level):
    • 10% bonus to Heavy Missile and Heavy Assault Missile max velocity
    • 4% bonus to all armor resistances
  • Role Bonus:
    • Can use 2 Command Burst modules
    • 100% bonus to Command Burst area of effect range

This is close to what has been mentioned. Probably fulfills every aspect that we talked about here.
And maybe have the hull of a Prophecy but like a Tier 2 Paint on it.

3 Likes

ASSume nothing my friend, this is CCP we are talking about here after all!