Mass Test on Singularity: Tuesday, October 27th, 2020

Another new player here. I’ll come and help if I’m not just in the way. No experience in PVP or fleets. My character, only a few weeks old when copied to Singularity, was part way through the Sisters arc so my current craft has a big load of random loot in the hold. If that will clutter things up, I suppose I could buy and equip a “clean” boat to start with. Any tips?

Not what I meant by poor I have 7mil sp

You can buy almost everything on Sisi for 100 isk, you getting a decent ship shouldn’t be a problem.
I just discovered a Sisi exclusive item called “Expert Cerebral Accelerator” that can significantly increase the learning speed, by giving +8 to all of your attributes. And it lasts for 25-ish days.
Also, Sisi skills are independent from Tranquility, you can set a totally different queue to learn.

Just make sure to download the Singularity client by then, and you should be good.

When you get in singularity, open your market window and search for literally anything, like PLEX, and go to the nearest station selling it for 100isk.

There you can buy any item for 100isk, so you can just make any sub-capital fit you want in the fitting window(Alt + F), then click the purchase all button on the bottom right, and use the fit ship button on thebottom left next.

To make things simpler for further testing, you can right click the station name on the upper left corner of your screen while docket up and set it as your home station, so when your clone dies, you respawn there, and can just buy a new ship and fit it straight away.

To go to the test site, use the /moveme command on chat, and a small window will pop up.

The FD-MLJ system in which the testing will be taking place should be on top, so just choose it and you should be moved into the system with the ship you are currently flying.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[Catalyst, Trash Mob Destroyer]
Khanid Navy Co-Processor
Imperial Navy 100mm Steel Plates
‘Cartel’ Power Diagnostic System I

Coreli A-Type 5MN Microwarpdrive
Dark Blood Small Capacitor Booster

Imperial Navy Small EMP Smartbomb
Federation Navy Small Plasma Smartbomb
Dread Guristas Small Graviton Smartbomb
Republic Fleet Small Proton Smartbomb
Imperial Navy Small EMP Smartbomb
Federation Navy Small Plasma Smartbomb
Dread Guristas Small Graviton Smartbomb
Republic Fleet Small Proton Smartbomb

Small Trimark Armor Pump II

Navy Cap Booster 400 x37

1 Like

Feedback after the test.

Mechanic testing felt really lacking, as you simply respawned outside the closest super in your fleet, and had to right click on it, open ship maintenance bay, then right click one of the available ships and choose board from space or something.

By the time I could do that, I was being killed twice by the other super smartbombs or people randomly targetting pods closer to the fleet super I was orbiting.

You can’t even double click one of the ships in order to fast board it like you’d do in a station hangar, which I was trying to do for a while, before realizing it wasn’t a mechanic…

Besides this, there’s a clearly exploitable option to deploy ships from the maintenance bay, so people were just deploying all available ships in the supers as soon as the test began.

My suggestions for improvement.

• Players spawn inside the super, avoiding being killed over and over again before being able to reship.
  • Players can double click one of the available ships in the maintenance bay to fast board it
  • Ship Maintenance Bay icons appear in red in case a pilot is unable to pilot the ship(lacking core piloting skills), or with a yellow exclamation mark in case the pilot is lacking skills for some of the fitted modules
  • Super pilots are able to assign specific ships to each player in the fleet, or tag them in some manner, so the reshipping can be managed instead of being a free for all

As for feedback regarding the test itself, first CCP should have prepared a custom overview for the testing.

I have never done fleet PvP before, so I was struggling to set up a decent overview mid-test, but by the time I had something to work with, test was about over.

For this particular test, imo, a proper overview would consist of the following:

• General, everything shown
  • Warp To, stargates and planets
  • Combat, shows only ships, filters out players in fleet
  • Fleet, shows only ships, shows only players in fleet
  • Supers, shows only supers

Secondly, I don’t know the reason why the fleets X and W weren’t simply made public and adverts were made for both.

You had to join either channel X or channel W to ask for an invite, so it felt like an unecessary overcomplication.

Lots of people were spamming invite requests in the various channels, so it would be much easier to just let the players join the fleets themselves, instead of waiting for an invite and causing such spam.

The chat was a complete mess because of this.

The masstesting channel was cleaner due to only CCP being able to post during the test, but there were simply too many chats where CCP ans the ISD were interacting with people.

Some better instructions would be to ignore local, corp, alliance, and channels X and W(not that they should have existed in the first place…), and focus all questions on the questions chat, while we could talk freely in fleet.

The test also showed that the people who hadn’t prepared ships beforehand often couldn’t reship after the stock on the supers ran out, as there were no seeding stations nearby.

I respawned 5 times near an empty Nyx before I managed to get closer to a Hel without dying.

There was an NPC station in FD-MLJ, so I have no idea why it wasn’t a seeded market, at the very least for today’s test.

Also have no idea why some supers were filled with Tech II ships… seriously.

If you really wanted to just see weak ships blowing up, you should have filled the supers with fitted corvettes.

Lots of people came with cruisers and battleships from the get go, so there was no point in limiting ships to sub-capitals and asking players to show up in something “weak”.

As a final note, maybe would have been even easier to just make two corporations, X and W, and have players join either one, so there would be two clear blue and red teams.

This would make it easier to even out numbers for testing, just making two small corps, like 50 members max each, and letting the numbers cap out before increasing the corp member limit.

Proper tools and a clean line of commands for testing should definitely help out with future schedules.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you all for participating! I applied 2M skill points to 141 characters on Singularity.

We are still going through the results from the test, and so far I can say that the test was fully worth it. We found quite a few edge cases, which are now analyzed further. Unfortunately we also learned that one of our server performance gathering tools broke partially along the way, so we lost a bit of data, but we have still plenty of performance data available - and according to this the server performance was not problematic (but we need to keep in mind, that the mass test participation was not as high).

@SleepLacker Thank you for your feedback! We are aware that the mass test yesterday was a bit more confusing than normal, and I would like to apologize for this.
We also wanted to stress some degenerate situations, which for sure resulted in a worse experience, like being killed immediately by smartbombs after recloning. This should not happen often on TQ, but it is a possible edge-case, which also resulted in some problems in the mass test, and this is why we wanted to stress it. As we really don’t want you to become stuck in such a case.
Several of your suggestions are very interesting, although many are out of scope (great if we would have all the time in the world, but not possible in a realistic time frame) , while at least one suggestion is even already worked on in some extent (sorry that I cannot give you details).
Regarding market seeding: There is a seeded NPC station in FD-MLJ (but the station in X-BV98 is not seeded).
Thanks again for the constructive feedback!

Erm…

I had my combat log open, and the deaths were mostly due to the CCP supers smartbombs…

I would suggest to have a proper time frame for the testing then.

• 17:00 UTC test participation and invites begin

Players are given some time to set up their UIs and overview according to what the test will be about

Players are given the meeting place and asked to gather on site by the start of the test

• 17:15 UTC

Testing starts after making sure participants know what to do and how to report any bugs or feedback

As for the chat, a neat feature for testing, and for FCs in general, would be a “direct command line” channel.

With some command in fleet chat, like //, the FC can make their messages pop up in the middle of the members’ screen, just like the countdown messages for the cluster shutdown before downtimes.

CCP members can have their own custom commands and options, like have their messages pop on screen for all players online, for only players on the same system, for players on same constellation, etc.

Much better receiving direct commands that can’t be missed rather than digging through the different channels looking for CCP messages.

Forgot to talk about this point.

The only reward for participating is the free 2M skillpoints, which unfortunately can only add up to 10M after 5 tests afaik, so there’s no real benefit for joining further public testing after your max this extra SP cap.

My suggestion is, just like project discovery, some special testing program, which players gain points and unlock rewards, like a “Crash Test Course Skin” unique to players who participated in 100+ tests or something.

The upcoming tests could then be put on a neat schedule that shows up on a similar “project discovery screen”, and clicking on the tests show a small summary of what the test is about, requirements to join, and an “apply for test” button, just so CCP can have an idea of the number of participants that is supposed to show up.

Here’s a very rough draft of my suggestion.

I believe you are supposed to apply those skill points, so you can unlock and test stuff faster, and this way you will know if you are interested in something or not, without wasting time and SP on TQ.

As someone who isn’t a PvP player, my experience with this mechanic was very positive. The ability to respawn on a carrier near the battle and return to the fight immediately seems very useful and appealing.
I do agree though, that the way people respawn could be improved. Either by respawning inside the carrier, or by a time limited invulnerable state, similar to the station undocking. Or even some short range, time limited tether to prevent people being trapped in an infinite death cycle.

The issue is that Singularity receives new “mirrors” every few months, or whenever CCP needs it, so all the training progress from Singularity is lost, and you get a fresh copy of your current TQ live server characters as they are.

The extra skillpoints you have earned from participating in testing are given back a few days after the new mirror is applied, but the limit of how many you receive back is capped at 10M, so essentially 5 public tests.

That’s probably fine for testing any subcapitals, as long as you have some decent training on your TQ character, but I personally don’t see any point for players to use their free time to join on the tests besides their goodwill, or simply wanting to come play around withother people.

If future tests require a proper hardward stress test, then it’s a given you need better incentives to bring players to test it, instead of simply hoping enough people show up.

How about this: in addition to the 2M SP on Sisi, after each test, everyone who participates will be able to unlock one skin on TQ. Any skin. Not receive it so it can be sold, but applied permanently to the character. This would be a great opportunity to get skins that aren’t available anymore, or were some kind of special event related, like the ones for example that were given to those who were at the live events.
I personally would like them, and maybe this could increase the number of people participate.

Nah, that’s too much, considering SKINs are premium sold products, so it’s directly interfering with CCP and PA income, and will never see the face of the world.

Thus my suggestion for a special “tester” skin, which you unlock from participating in Singularity over time. :slight_smile:

I can’t understand why they don’t give people some free skill points on TQ for these tests. Obviously 2mil is too much, but there must be a reasonble amount that would still get people to show up for an hour. There’s so much free SP already via daily login clickfests I doubt a little extra would matter.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.