[META] CODE as a controversial topic

It would be a boring document with only 10 words lol

It’s well written, and even if you don’t care about it, it still is a good read :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’re not upset, are you?

He is, but best ignore him :wink:
I’ll explain why later ingame if you’re around

Edit: mailed you instead @Galaxy_Pig :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, buddy! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

What if someone logs in only to do Project Discovery?

1 Like

@Mike_Azariah ?

I completely agree that spoonfeeding new players the game in bite sized chunks of “don’t do this” can be bad. What I imagine ends up happening is those players will likely be taught to believe that a large part of the game is unfair, unfun, and “evil”.

I think a better way to approach the new player asking if he can shoot at the suspect in local, would be to encourage it, ask him what happened and what he learned, and replace his Ibis for him. The.n he can make his own mind up from experience and maybe even become interested in suspect baiting himself.

1 Like

Then I would hardly say they are playing Eve Online. They are playing project discovery.

1 Like

Another good example, especially in a thread about CODE, is what happens when mining is mentioned. Rookies are told not to use a Retriever because they will be killed when all they have asked is “what’s a good Mining Barge?”

They are told to use a tanked Procurer so they won’t be killed. Why are they told this, rather than letting them use a Retriever and be killed in it and learn for themselves that they need a tanked Procurer?

This is a good example of the very strong ship loss prevention vibe that exists a lot of the time. What effect does this have on the mentality of the new player?

Is it surprising if we end up with risk averse carebears who view ship loss as a tragedy and having their Mining Barge destroyed by CODE as bullying?

Should we be trying to keep them safe, or should we just be enabling them to go out and do the things … and learn for themselves.

Is safe fun? is safe exciting? Does safe make them want to keep playing, or is it dull?

While I’m not sure actively encouraging rookies to do highly dangerous things is correct either, as that might be going too far the other way, I think it’s really important to focus on enabling them to do things rather then preventing them from doing things.

1 Like

We should be teaching them the basic golden rules of eve and then let their experiences guide how they learn and play the game. So someone from CODE. Is “bullying” you. What are you going to do about it so that you can play the game on your terms? The sad reality is that it seems so many just come here to whine or straight up quit the game when a little bit of adversity is introduced to the game through another player.

2 Likes

Did you left the part where I said “in space” out on purpose so it would be easier for you to actually come up with an argument?

Also I have never seen someone complain about getting ganked when only playing Project Discovery.

1 Like

Personally on the barge question I prefer to tell them the difference and what I prefer. Tank over greed.

So I do recommend the tanked proc but the question is less common in Rookie Chat as most there are alphas. We have trouble enough explaining why it is less optimal to mine in a bestower.

m

3 Likes

When I played 10 yrs ago, I’d line you up 1 by one with no logi and tie one hand behind my back, close my eyes, and use my old Pentium 4…and kill you 1 by 1 with legitimate PvP tactics, you are incapable. I’m not upset…you are a source of joy for me.

I have never played in the time of code, and it’s really funny…what’s a tengu? How about the merc annex today? They’ll be irrelevant soon. Things are looking good, pig.

You try so hard. It’s really weird. For someone that is banned from the game on his main, and even had a short-lived crusade against my little project (but failed), you really do try hard. Alt after alt, you continue to get banned just so you can poke your nose here on the forums to give us something to laugh at.

We thank you Holeysheet, but maybe it’s time to just admit another defeat at the hand of CODE. and move on to another game? Surely CCP gets tired of banning all of your alts?

2 Likes

I hate to rain on your parade, I did notice dom arkaral has accused a number of people of being this fellow.
It can stop now.

From what I can see dom akarel has harassed them out of the game through trolling and group harassment tactics (the silly spam flagging thing yesterday), to which I am resistant. So put up or shut up basically. I’m an alpha with about 1 mill SP now. I’ll inject some skills soon but I’m not even sure I want to return to this game now actively, as I was 2005-2011ish. Upwell structures are plain dumb.

Basically I came on the forums to find ideas for writing anecdotal articles for an eve friendly site. I have to say, thanks. As stated, I do have this thread muted but it never hurts to look. I’ll respond to lies wherever I please.

@Deep-Fried_OnionRings post on topic, or don’t post at all
thanks

No, Mike is okay. He’s not like this at all.

1 Like

From real miners in nullsec who CODE is too scared to mess with. :smiley:

When I am in highsec I can be shot by anyone at any time and if I stay just for a few seconds in one place Facpo shows up and blows me to pieces.

What makes you think we are scared of a place where it would be quite easier for us game mechanic wise?

I have been to all parts of space and they are all fun in their own way. But to think highsec is easy is idiotic, it has by far the most complicated mechanics.

3 Likes

It was clearly hyperbole from “real miners”, “too scared”, and the goofy smile at the end.

But, in the words of the Bard: “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

1 Like

I have yet to see CODE attack my pure t1 fit brick Procurer. I mine with no permit right in their main systems. They even convo me and ask for a permit. I just get up and a smoke a cig. I come back and they’re gone.

4 Likes