[META] CODE as a controversial topic

I hope you guys don’t mistake my thread for something it isn’t. i’m not hating on you at all. :slight_smile: it seems so burnt into the member’s minds that everyone hates them, that some subtle form of defensivism has emerged.

I don’t think that the haters deserve the attention they get. A bit attention, sure, but they always put themselves into a spotlight that’s far brighter than they deserve. :slight_smile: This thread works as intended. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why are you so mad about a pvp alliance in a game about spaceship pvp?

2 Likes

Anyone who looks at the “code” with any sense of logic for any period of time sees a bombastic text full of legalese wishy washy allowing self proclaimed believers to gank anyone anywhere without any reason whatsoever.

Sometimes their adventures as described on minerbumping.com are funny. Most of the time their victims are exposed as hate filled bigots which makes you wonder why some people are banned for threats when such behaviour is widely accepted elsewhere.

So they do fulfil a purpose I suppose.

1 Like

Oh not at all. I find the subject fascinating and personally have no problem of playing the role of hated villain in a video game. The great thing about Eve is I can be an obnoxious extortionist one play session, and a peaceful industrialist (who may happen to specialize in making ganking equipment and sometimes replacement mining equipment) the next. I am genuinely curious if you can get some revealing answers.

2 Likes

The only problem with her riddle is, we use the term wanker to mean everything from arsehole to friend.

So just calling someone a wanker in a forum is a bit non-descript. Still room for plenty of options when interpreting.

2 Likes

i agree that it’s too much, too heavy. it’s as if it had been written by the EU. Short, simple, factual and straightforward should be the way to go.

Exactly. A document that seeks to both inflame miners and inspire criminals and forces everyone to pick a side. The Code is the ultimate polarizing document that puts people on two sides of a conflict in a video game in a way more personal way then just assigning them them to the Horde or Alliance or to Red or Blue. Hence all the hate.

Seriously, when I step back and marvel at the Code it just reaffirms my love of the game. It really speaks to how magical Eve online is that such a creation - a full-on virtual holy war - can emerge from the sandbox, a spontaneous and collaborative work of the players, and one with both believers and haters on each side.

3 Likes

Any publicly open group with a defined ideology thrives on attention. They crave it and, the attention bolsters the group. It doesn’t matter if you view the group as good, bad, or are indifferent. Simply discussing the group draws attention and gives them publicity. It’s the old adage of any publicity is good publicity.

So in my opinion, any CODE thread, regardless of the OP’s intent or opinion, serves to give them the attention they crave and more ability to maintain sustainability. As such, it is not truly possible to have some meta discussion in any way that won’t help draw attention to CODE. Whether you view that as good or bad, that is each of your own personal opinion.

I disagree simply because what polarizes is it’s existence and people talking about it. To claim that the document itself polarizes would require thatenough people actually read through it, which simply isn’t the case. It makes zero sense to assume that haters would manage to read through it. Cutting it shorter, aka to the objective point, would make sure more people actually read it.

As an old quote says, don’t judge games by their forums. Those who don’t give a ■■■■ about it probably won’t bother posting in this thread.

Another one of these threads.
First it was hate on Goonswarm, then it was someone else… now it is CODE…

LOL people really.

So you’re not that Solstice guy? Oh good! That dude was weird. He used to fly a thrasher from bookmark to bookmark while criminal and fancied himself a really brave, manly PvPer for doing so. That would have been fine in itself, but he also felt compelled to go around bitching at and talking down to other gankers for not playing in the same aspergery way he did.

Yeahhh, you don’t wanna be associated with that dude…

Well, whatever he did to you, you can’t seem to let go, so i guess he did it right? I don’t know what your personal squibbles with some people are, but i know that you’re exactly one of those who only care about their own ego, and not about progress.

Like a carebear do you try to change topic to “someone”, just to derail. like a carebear are you sitting on a high horse, pretending to be of any value. like a carebear is it all about displaying your imaginary superiority. like a carebear do you rarely add anything of value.

Good piggy. Strong piggy. :slight_smile:

better now? Good. now stop acting like a damn child. :slight_smile:

Controversial? I think we can safely say that most people in Highsec see us as heroes and bringer of civilization and justice.

7 Likes

They Also have ample beach front property to sell us on the nearby lava planet.

I like CODE. They’ve turned a couple of rather dull activities into a religion, and managed to make everybody talk about it. I don’t think there is a lot of actual “hate” for them; that seems like an overblown claim to me. I doubt anybody but their victims (and probably just a small part of even them) spends a lot of actual thought on them.

But then, it doesn’t take a lot of people to make a lot of noise on the forums.

They’re basically EVE’s version of Scientology.

2 Likes

Despite the abuse i like to give them for a laugh, i actually enjoy CODE.'s antics and the extreme levels of hate they attract. They are creating content, which is pretty much all you have to do to be worthwhile around here.

2 Likes

Well it’s easy to check if Yellow is Solecist. Someone check back and see if Solecist knew what a capital letter was back then. If Solecist also thinks they only go at the beginning of paragraphs that’s your evidence :blush:

1 Like

I highly doubt he is Solecist. Not remotely enough passive aggressive comments and self centred drama.

1 Like

I only just about remember the name Solecist from ages back…

1 Like